The Germans are here!

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by gotsol, Jan 14, 2008.

1. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

So I traded in my wife's Audi TT (Picture here) [​IMG]

I got her an Audi A3: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I got myself GTI:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't worry, I still have the Subaru. In fact, it is at SOG getting some much needed attention.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the bad pictures.

I've got to say, the GTI is a realy nice car compared to the Subaru

2. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

Nice garage. VW's are nice cars, except they are fat with luxury items. Check out the vehicle weight. Its just as much as a Suby, but without the AWD. I definitely enjoy the fast spool and zero lag on the old KO3's.

3. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I would absolutely consider a GTI for a daily driver. I had an 86 GTI for my first car...

4. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Nice cars man. :bigthumb:

5. Meredith

Meredith Banned

I drove an A3 at the novice school last year; the steering was surprisingly sharp almost like the evo. It did have massive amounts of bodyroll but it overall was a nice looking car and comfy too!

6. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Dude. Nice. You racing all 3 this year? ;)
    Too much fun bro, congrats. So, which one rotates the best?

7. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

protect yourself from who Tommy? Zee Germans?

But seriously...both Auto?

Other than that...nice choices...Ive always liked the A3, and GTI's are always a blast to drive

8. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Nice Cars! I just wish you could get the A3 with AWD with the 2.0T Motor...

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Niiice

10. Deke

Deke Active Member

Nice rides man! The seat inserts on the GTI are kind of...interesting, but overall you have a nice little fleet there.

11. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

I have some boxer shorts with the same pattern :keke: jk :hsugh:
    very nice Patrick!

12. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

Hey guys, thanks for the comments

I love the seats, they are my second favorite feature of the car. The first is the steering wheel. My wife didn't like the seats at first and neither did my friend Justin until they both sat in them. They are a little better then the 02 WRX seats as far as firmness and bolsters.

The 2.0T has a flat Tq curve that is LOVELY! It is a nice change form the laggy VF39. The DSG is no mere automatic, it is AWESOME on mountain roads and great in day-to-day driving.

The GTI vs the A3, the differences are surprizing. The GTI has a stiffer brake pedal, less body roll, more steering effort and feedback but the engines are the same. The TT had the SWEET 3.2 Vr6 and the Tq down low is missed when crusing. The DSG seeks out 6th gear when in D mode. So at 40 mph you'll be in 6th but if you come up on a hill the tq isn't there like it would have been in the TT.

The WRX vs the GTI is even more different. You can feel the shorter wheelbase in the GTI, it is similar in wheel base as the TT. The GTI rotates better and has better turn in then the WRX. The GTI feels way more solid, better built, more comfortable yet still handles great and has plenty of pull.

The WRX and GTI both cost about the same, only the money for the WRX was 6 years ago. They have almost the exact same features less AWD (or lack thereof, the GTI is a base model) Yes, at the time the WRX was the best value in the market, but times have changed. The GTI is a great value now. I can see why it got Automobile's Car of the Year and 10 best car and driver 2 years in a row. I test drove a GTI back before the got the WRX and was impressed with it back then. The new model is leaps and bounds better then the old one and more reliable.

Even my wife said she'll never drive a Japanese car again. They "feel" right. Awesome driving machines.

Don't get me wrong the WRX is my "muscle car." That thing is fun in it's own way. It is sloppy, rude, loud and crude and sometimes I want to just hear it rev to 7k through the Helix loudpipes!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  13. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

I'd rather have an R32 than my STi, but I can't afford the upkeep. I looked at the '03 20th anniv 1.8s too, but there again the repairs would put me into STi price range. I bet the '08 STi is going to feel a lot more like a GTi... hmmm...

14. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Nice quote from Snatch.. great movie... As for the cars, very nice stable your building there...

15. wrxin8or

Oh Em Gee...that is unpossible. Nothing is better than the WRX or anything Subaru;)

I always enjoy driving Ze German mobiles, and am thinking about picking one up myself.

Plus, I kinda like that interior

16. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

I thought about getting an 04 R32 and test drove a few of them but the new chasis is so much better then the old one it isn't a comparison.

I hope I didn't come off as too harsh on Subaru's but your right, there is a entire world out there besides these quirky little AWD cars.

17. Thats odd...
    Your wife's car path mirrors a lady I work with. She had a TT (charcoal color I think) and she got an A3 to replace it. the only difference is that she spun her TT off a cliff into a tree and totaled it out. She settled for the A3 - her husband wouldn't let her get another TT because he was afraid she would wreck it too.

I do miss a shorter wheelbase car sometimes. Glad you are loving yours!

18. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Turkish: Fuck me, hold tight. What's that?
    Tommy: It's me belt, Turkish.
    Turkish: No, Tommy. There's a gun in your trousers. What's a gun doing in your trousers?
    Tommy: It's for protection.
    Turkish: Protection from what? "Zee Germans"?

19. wrxin8or

They call him Boris the bullet dodger.
    Why do they call him that?

Because he dodges bullets...

ok and I am done with the hijack now;)

20. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

wow, she must be some driver!

The TT was so much fun. We really miss it. Oh well.

21. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

yuh, looks nice!