The Monster Wagon- in progress

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Sparta, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I finally decided to do one of these!

I bought the car on 4-20 last year and have been struck by the mod bug ever since. Regrettably, I started with ricer mods including a bov and a big as$ snow plow of a lip and after I got into mountain runs I began modding specifically for that.

[​IMG]
    ^ The day I drove 7 hrs to pick up my stage 2 stuff
    [​IMG]
    ^The latest dragon run 2-16-08

So far its got:

Engine:
    Sti Tmic
    Cobb AP
    Stage II flash with TBE and Up-pipe
    6 puck clutch
    Optima red top
    Jdm power converter

Suspension:
    225 Falkens on stock wheels
    Whiteline 27mm Fsb
    20mm STI rsb and Whiteline rear endlinks
    H brace
    KYB gr-2 Gas shocks
    Hawk HP+ front pads

Ext:
    jdm pink "I" badge
    16 inch stockers Painted Gold buy Pssyka-t
    Hella horns
    Monster-sized CF hoodscoop
    Sti sideskirts
    32% tint front windows, 20% on the "Wagon"

In the works:
    5 speed transmission with Legacy gt gearset
    ej257 longblock with: OBX lightweight pulley, mishimoto radiator, Ported intake manifold, and Protune
    sti springs
    jdm pink sti badge

I dyno'd her on the stage 1 flash and she put down 201/199. I think Stage II is rated for 230 whp? I probably wont get Dyno'd again until the swap is done.

Big thanks to Steven (Kingwrex), Alex (Face), Jerome (Rome), Sean (OneIguy), Keegan (Keeganxt), Greg, and Ped for pitching in a hand whenever I needed to get some work done, without you guys I wouldn't be able to afford maintaining/upgrading this car on a college kids budget. :bowdown:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  2. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

What is a JDM Power Converter?

3. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

lol something I got on ebay that you plug up to the battery. Everything was written in Japanese so I can't really explain what it is lol

4. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Ha! Well the car looks great. Bugeyes FTMFW

5. Jake

Jake Active Member

when are you doing the 2.5??

6. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

^^ as soon as I get a spare tranny to have the lgt gears put in. I'm gearing towards the end of the month, you gonna come help?

7. Jake

Jake Active Member

there's a good chance of that. i'll have a garage down the street from stephens if that's where you're doing it at

8. FACE

FACE Active Member

I can't wait for the swap man!

9. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

I saw that engine last weekend! Damn fine looking long block if may say so. I will lend a hand if I am available.

10. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

I like wagons.

11. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

DITTO:naughty:

12. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Why bother with the lgt gears? If you have a 2.5 you know someday you a are going to put a bigger turbo on it and those gears won't be enough.

Do it right the first time and go with a 6 speed. By the time you buy the spare tranny and gears and pay the labor to get them installed you will be 2/3 of the way to buying a 6 speed.

[shamelessplug] BTW I just happen to have a 6 speed for sale [/shamelessplug]

13. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

You know he has a point

14. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I know, I'm actually getting a spare tranny for free, and the gears only costs me roughly $700, and not so much to install with the help of friends. I'm on a budget and unfortunately running
    out of money. When I graduate I plan on doing the full swap including a bigger turbo but right now I'm just gonna enjoy the 300 I hope to squeeze out.

15. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

What turbo are you going to run on the 2.5? You'll probably be up and over 300whp given the extra displacement.

16. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I'm going with the vf39. I have a complete sti longblock without AVCS so I don't expect the stock power of an STI but I will be at stage 2 already so we'll just have to find out

17. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

What about the labor to install the gears? Figure another 500-750 there. Also is anything wrong with the other transmission. If so expect more cost in parts.

Personally I would run the stock 5mt as is and save the money. I ran over 400tq with mine for over a year before I upgraded. Just put a stock clutch on it and avoid launching it.

Besides if your car is a late model 03 it may already have somewhat wider gears.

18. Jake

Jake Active Member

My old car is making 290/341 on a hybrid motor with a vf39....

19. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

^^ what year was your wrx? Didn't you break a gear or did you just feel like swapping in an 06?

20. Jake

Jake Active Member

mine is an '02 no i didnt break anything. when i got in my wreck the driver's side axle knocked the front diff out of alignment causing it to tear itself apart. i drove it with the blown diff for almost 5000 miles before i put the '06 wrx tranny in

21. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

O okay, did you have the vf39 on with the stock tranny?

22. Jake

Jake Active Member

nope. that was only added shortly before i sold it

23. GTscoob

Why no AVCS? Are you running an STI ECU? You're really missing out without it.

24. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I don't have the wiring harness for it.
    Yea I know I'm missing out so I'm hoping to make up for it in lightweight pulleys, ported intake and headers and protune. I'm not looking to be the fastest on the road, just looking for something different without blowing up the stock setup.

My car was made late '02 so I doubt it has the wider gears I just found out.

25. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

picture update

[​IMG]

26. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

I like the headlights it looks good!

27. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

i seriously need to lower the car, I'm gonna get springs after the swap and tune is done

28. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

Yeah I was actually gonna say that. Talk Danielle into selling you hers :naughty:

29. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

hmm.... i'll consider it

30. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

haha good luck :rofl:

31. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

is that patriots point in the OP?

32. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

i had those lights on my last suby. painted though. liked them, while they lasted. hopefully they are better constructed than when i bought mine. you should swap a saab for the roof rail inserts unless you use your rails. looks nice though man. is that a mad dad scoop? that thing is ginormus!

33. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Looking good bro.

34. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I think so, I went to NC to pick up my stage 2 stuff near there. Can't quite remember the name of the place

Yea the Headlights are a cheap design. Hopefully they'll last me awhile until I can afford the Morettes or JDM HID's. Do you have any pics of them painted? I was thinking about doing it as well.

35. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

After about 10 hours of work with Jerome yesterday we managed to accomplish alot for the Saab and my car.

First off we swapped roof rails, then while my interior was in pieces I decided to get creative and paint the pillar panels Krinkle Black, and the headliner Blue like the STI carpet. (Since pretty soon it will be an STI wagon ;))

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I plan on doing another coat to touch up some spots, it was dark and my can ran dry before I could finish it all. I'll probably get around to it next week if the weather is as nice as its been lately, still gotta put the rest back together though!
    [​IMG]

sorry, dont have a pic of the Saab in the light as it got late. Rome can post some pics up.

[​IMG]

and
    [​IMG]

We also installed my Walbro which after I got annoyed with trying to fit everything in Jerome stepped up and got it done. Thank to Jerome for letting me work out of his garage and staying out there late with me putting it back together. And thanks to Danielle for the dinner! You two will be missed!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  36. GTscoob

Looks great sans roof rails!

37. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Thanks! I wasn't quite sure how I'd like it without but I love it! It makes the wagon look a whole lot sleeker, and as Danielle put it, "Faster"

38. I think ive seen this wagon around bp before, pretty clean...

39. Danielle

Danielle New Member

Hey thoses wagons look sexy... Especially the SAAB!!!! haha your car looks "pimp" and "faster." Anytime for the dinner had fun yesterday :)

40. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Yea, I've hung out there a couple of times with Greg when we get bored.

Lol, that little boy was a trip, according to him everyone with a blue car needs to two-tone it with green and add NOS to get more "Class"

Thats what Pimp my ride and Need for speed is doing to todays youth. Teaching them how to grow up and be ricers

41. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Dude, seriously, fucking sexy lights/foglights

42. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

nice pics Dana!!

What are you doing with the ol' fuel pump?

43. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

^^^ Go back to work ricer :rofl:

44. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Make me an offer Matt if you want it.

45. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Car looks good. Now go get some rims.:)

46. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Eh, considering I just bought new tires I won't be getting rims anytime soon. I do have a set picked out already though.

Springs are on the way too

47. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Don't waist your time on springs. You will just want coils after you have them. It's like turbos you just want to go bigger and better.

48. Deke

Deke Active Member

Love the wagon!

My only critique is that there are a lot of colors going on in the front region. You've got the pink badge, the yellow fogs, the orange side markers, and the gold wheels. Just a little distracting to me. Luckily, you're building the car the way you like it, so it doesn't matter what I think :)

Keep coming with the updates man. Hopefully one day when I have more disposable income I'll be able to keep a journal going for more than a week.

49. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I will do that....when I get paid next week...I think mines gon' bad :(

50. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Eh, I've got good springs on the way :naughty:, I'm sure they will hold me over until I can afford coilovers which I wont even consider until my KYB's are blown.

You arent the only one who mentioned the colors and believe me I am planning on changing it up. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008