The Official My Home AC Sucks & Blows Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by FTZ, May 25, 2010.

1. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Anybody have Robert's (AXELJOHNSON) phone number. My A/C isn't working at the house and I need help. If you have his number please PM it to me.

If you don't have his number, but know of someone else who does HVAC repairs, forward contact info.

Thanks

2. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

Robert works for Goodman (last I heard from him), he, like myself, only sells the equipment. Unless he's doing it on the side, he doesn't install / repair for a living. Get in touch with Gary, he works for AirCond and can help you out. I'd post his number but my phone's not near me...I'll getcha in the morning

3. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

what's wrong with it? blower quit, compressor not running, ?

mine died last year, but it was the starting capacitor ($15 fix). I've got gauges and my EPA card, but I try to stay away from residential shit

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Is it blowing air at all or just nada?

5. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

It is blowing air, though the air coming from the vents isn't overly cold. I had Robert come out a couple weeks ago, and he recharged the system with Freon. Before that, my AC would come on and blow warm to hot air. After the charge, it is blowing cooler air, but not cold.

If I set the temp at 72, it can maintain that temperature. If I let it run its normal program, meaning when I am at work, the temp goes up to about 76-77, then when I get home from work it is supposed to go to 72, it can't cool it past the 76-77 it gets up to during the day. At night, when the sun goes down, it eventually gets to the set temperature, but not during the day when the sun is out and it is hot.

6. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

Check the copper piping on the unit, outside. See if it's damp/wet...it maybe leaking. Had that happen to me a few times from the ground settling and moving the unit. Just a suggestion.

7. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

it'll be damp/wet anyway due to moisture condensing on the suction piping

jason, it properly has an insufficient charge and the evaporator coils may be frozen up as a result

8. 07Ltd#767

remember too, it's an AC not a freezer. I've never been to your place, but the last couple of days have been very hot and humid, both of which kill condensors. If you don't have proper insulation in your house, it will be nearly impossible for an undersized unit to drop the temperature down to 72 degrees.

9. 07Ltd#767

if the coils freeze, most units won't run, meaning no air at all will come out. It may be crapping out at 3pm, shutting off to thaw out, then kicking back on about the time you get home....but then again, your house would be 80+ by this time

10. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

i hasn't been working properly for a while now. not just on hot days. his house was warm when we where there earlier this month.

11. Alex

Is your's a combo unit or do you have the box outside your condo?

12. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

what?

he needs a set of gauges to figure out what's going on

[​IMG]

13. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Do you have those gauges?

I have a standard AC unit. There is the fan system outside, and a blower up in my attic.

14. Jake

Jake Active Member

remember A/C units aren't very effective +/- 20 degrees vs the outside temp. so if its 95 outside, its not gonna get much colder than 75 without freezing over

15. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

funny i read this today, then i get home and its 83 degrees in the upstairs of my house. blower on, but a/c was not running....tripped breaker, wasn't the hotest day today, and the power doesn't seemed to have gone out. should i see if it trips again or just have it looked at anyway? doesn't seem normal and first time it's happened.

you guys seem to have a firm grasp on this sort of thing, so i figured i might as well ask

16. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

Hey, sorry just saw this and the PM you sent me on here; I will send you a PM with my #, I thought you already had it.

17. 07Ltd#767

we should just start our own side business...half the service at half the cost??? I'm sure most people would jump at that shit

18. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

insurance, bonding, liability, etc.

19. 07Ltd#767

oh, you mean that shit that most of the mexicans around here already have?

20. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

hot and shitty work. your peak work time is when it's 100F outside

21. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

so my a/c has shut off 2 more times, I believe that's a sign to call someone up to come out. my theory is it could be low on freon. is there any place that people recommend? i'm in (Dallas) paulding county, it's about 5min away from cobb county heading down 120.

22. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

your breaker is tripping because the current draw is too high. this is exacerbated by the hot weather (breaker trip ratings are based on impedance, current draw, wire insulation, and outside temps)

so a few things could be happening:

your compressor discharge (head) pressure is too high, causing the compressor the pull too much current (or just enough to trip the breaker when it's hot outside)

the compressor is damaged, and the rotor is locked

it's tripping out on some protective feature (ie, low suction pressure, high discharge pressure, etc)

a set of gauges can figure out the third, and a clamp on ammeter can figure out the first two (current draw). just remember breakers trip at 80% of their stated load rating

23. Alex

Thread titled updated.

24. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

glad mine isn't causing any issue...but damn does it ever blow!

25. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

the best part is that when i get home to climb on my roof to fix my directv, and it's storming outside so i can't....so again i go a day with my satellite not working...and it's 80 degrees inside the god damn house

26. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

oh and there's a f***ing white scrape on the front of my bumper, so someone backed into or pulled into my car while i was at work and i park out in the middle of nowhere so someone literally chose to park next to it out in the middle of nowhere

27. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

also, if JT's isnt getting cool until after the sun goes down, could it be roofing ventilation contributing to the problem?

i'm curious as a bit OT, anyone use a room a/c unit instead of central? like just use a small one for an office during the daylight and leave the central off until nite?

28. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Precision Heating and Air based out of Dallas (which is right down the road) was great, they came out quickly and fixed the problem. Ended up that my outside unit was extremely dirty and there were a few weeds that might have been blocking the airflow. The current didn't climb up once it was cleaned and the weeds trimmed.

29. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

isn't that YOUR responsibility?

:p

30. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

you would think, but i'm still new to the maintaining a house thing. i get to figure out what i forgot to do after it breaks

31. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

ah yeah, I should have mentioned that, especially if your breaker was tripping.

here's the why:
    dirty condenser coils (which is where the heat from your house is rejected to the atmosphere) causes the discharge pressure of your compressor to go up. this means the compressor has to work harder to raise the pressure of the refrigerant to its corresponding saturation temperature (based on outside air temperature). this increases current draw on the motor, and with it being hot outside causes yore breaker to trip

32. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

so it tripped 2 more times. Another guy came out, and while we were looking at the breaker it started humming. He got another 30amp breaker and put it in. every time he would flip the breaker on it would trip. When he put the clamp-amp meter over the wire it shot up to 90+ amps and would spark at the wire going into the breaker when the A/C would go to kick on. he spent a while outside with a variety of different tools and came up with the conclusion that the compressor was damaged and would need to be replaced....

does this sound right? i have been told that the a/c amps shoot up when the compressor first starts up, but it seems a little unsafe when sparks are shooting out....

33. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

it will draw more current upon initial startup. that's why there is a starting capacitor in line with the motor

but it shouldn't be tripping the breaker. sounds like the compressor rotor is locked

if it's drawing 90+ amps @ 220V...dangerous. your house is probably only wired for a max of 150A service

34. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

So my suction pipe and coild were frozen over on my AC unit for my 2nd floor. Luckily my father gave me a tank of freon and the gauges Nicad post a pic up before he sold his pawn shop and retired. Hooked it up and saw I was low on freon so I filled her back up and everything is cool again in my house:)

35. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

they are coming out on saturday to replace the whole unit. even though the compressor is under warranty still (only till august), who knows what else could go. they installed cheaper units when they built the houses in my neighborhood.

price difference, they wanted $1150 for changing the compressor etc. and $1864 for a new A/C...which i'm sure will be more efficient and run better anyway.