The time has come to buy a new Rugged Laptop... what to buy?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Doug@DBW Motorsports, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

So end of last year my good ol Panasonic CF-29 Toughbook started acting up, which in the spur of the moment made me purchase my current Gateway laptop.

Prior to my Toughbook I would go through laptops about every 6 months. I am very hard on them as is my job. Between them getting moved around a ton in the cars, falling to the floor when doing wot pulls on the street, or just my travels the screens always break off at the hinges.

My Toughbook on the other hand lasted me almost 3years with no real issues.

So before my current laptop screen decideds it no longer wants to be attached what should I buy? I need something that will last me another 3 years, and is rugged.

Also does anyone have the hook up?

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

not sure how rugged they are, but rick (techlord) usually has a line on some used (or never used) IBM laptops, CHEAP. so you could probably pick up a couple and have a backup.

3. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Dana works at Frys. See if he can hook you up.

4. techlord

techlord Active Member

no IBM's cause lenovo is crap. All we have now is crap dell's D630's in which about 60% of the MB's have been replaced.
    Doug you are going to be hard pressed to find a better option than the TRUE Toughbook. Our field guys tried the rugged Dell's and HP's but QUICKLY went back to the TB.
    I would look for New over stock TB's maybe a year or so old so the price doesn't kill you. New ones are almost 5K

5. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

yea... my toughbook is still working.. battery is dead, its crazy slow, and doesn't work with some of my newer softwares for some reason...

But yea she is a work horse

6. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

I'd get another newer toughbook since it sounds like you like to take yours through some rigorous tests. If price is not a issue, get it with and I-Core 5 processor, 8gb of memory and an 250gb SSD(Solid State Drive). Should last you for 3 years.

7. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

I would stick with the Toughbook.
    I'm pretty sure there are no other notebooks that are rated at durability like the Toughbook.

8. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Newer toughbook. That is the only laptop that will survive with our construction group and we tested them all.

Talk to Dana or if you give me a model number I can check with my source.

9. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Yea man, check Fry's and give me the plu number to what you are interested in, as always I offer my discount to anyone who asks from the community (though as some have learned sometimes it's not much)