This ever happen to anybody?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Suby1128, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

Has anybody ever had somebody threaten to kill them because you honked at them? Just happened to me a couple hours ago.

Stopped by SoG to see if they had a part I was interested. Coming home towards Norcross down Pleasant Hill Road (close to the old Traffic Jams) and a Chevy Sedan takes a left turn right in front of me. I had to slam on my brakes and so I hit my horn. They almost came to a stop, a young black girl leans out the window and yells that she's going to come out of her car and fucking kill me.

It wasn't the usual like "oh no you didn't" cliche yell either, it was like a blood curdling promise.

*I don't mean to sound racist in any way in this post, just trying to set the scene.

So I called the cops and gave them the license plate number, described the occupants and the vehicle. They asked if I wanted to press charges and I thought about it for a second before saying no I just want to go home. A police operator calls me back a few minutes later to get some more details from me, and says I may have gotten the license plate or the car color wrong. I could have sworn it was a white Chevy Sedan, but the license plate was registered to a green vehicle, so when I told her the plate number it's possible that she misheard me. Or I said it wrong, but it's over now.

I'm glad it wasn't any worse then it could have been, I mean everybody in the car was glaring at me like they were ready to do something.

I think I'm going to have a drink now, still shaking a bit because this has never happened to me before.

Craig

2. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

wow dude that's harsh! talk about some major rage on her part!

3. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

yeah people REALLY don't take to horn blowing down here for some reason...one thing I had to stop doing because I got yelled at in a similar fashion all the time....in NY we use the horn all the time...almost an annoying amount...but then I realized if i blew my horn at every dumbass...I would seriously blow my horn like 10+ times a day...so now i just laugh it off and drive VERY defensively....maybe throw the occasional bird :keke:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  4. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

It hasn't happened to me, but it did happen to a co-worker on Bankhead Highway...only there, it probably wasn't a threat either, but a statment of fact...If a chick yelled she was going to kill me, or a guy for that matter, I would have been pressing charges...

5. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

That car full of people was bad news waiting to happen.

I've had confrontations like that in the past and sometimes it is tough to suck it up to avoid a fight or worse, and making the evening news.

6. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

can you really press charges for someone saying that. How serious is the offense?

7. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

do you have the hella supertones ? smile
    not mocking the seriousness of the situation

8. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

Thats atlanta for ya.. happens weekly to my wifey..
    I definitely need more noise from the horns...

9. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

You can press charges, and apparantly death threats are very serious because the police actually called me back, rather than just leaving the information to the side.

To be honest, if I knew it was four young teenagers in that part of town I definitely would have thought twice (I may have held down the horn a little longer than necessary), but what they did is completely wrong and I'm glad it didn't escalate.

Makes me think a lot more about a CCW Permit when I turn 21. Not because I want to use a weapon on anybody, but I want to know I would be able to defend myself in a situation like that. They could have easily stopped in front of me so I couldn't move and surrounded me in a heartbeat.

No use thinking "what if" though, because what happened has happened. I just know to be more careful from now on.

Craig

10. yep just tonight a guy almost took the passenger side of my car off and when he got to the light he rolled down his window and screamed you want some of me mother and well from there i decided it would be best to make a phone call. which went kinda like this.
    operator: Gulfport police
    me: Hey this is Ivan an EMT with AMR i need to report a guy being an ass
    Operator: ok where when and what happend
    Me: explained gave tag number and color and type of truck
    Operator: we got an officer on it.
    Me: thanks
    2 mins later i pass the guy he was pulled over dealing with 3 cops. so all in all i felt good about myself.

11. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Thats a terroristic threat . . .

I've had similar things happen where people have jumped out of the car and threated me, I always just laugh at them and ask them if they really want me to get out of the car . . . I love pushing people to the edge of a fight to see if they really want to push their luck against my tall self.

12. Deke

Deke Active Member

Hmm, I would never really think to call the cops in this situation. But I guess it's serious enough to warrant it.

I always forget I have a horn (probably a good thing). I'll just yell really loudly (of course they can't hear me though). I've always preferred the thumbs up instead of the bird. They get the point, but I feel it's less likely that you will die.

13. flip

flip Member

This is why i carry a 9mm... Hope to never have to even pull it out but just in case... It's there ;). I had a similar situation, where a guy cut me off at a light, i was in the front of the line (of like 50 cars) and he just pulled in front of me fron the turn lane. At first i was kinda pissed but then i figured, whatever... trying to kick this road rage thing... So when the light turned he wouldn't go so i honked a little. He flicked me off!! I was quite pissed and pulled up next to him and gave him a few choice words... He all wanted to fight like waht you gonna do LOL. He had some like old white lady in the passenger seat with him... !??!?! Halfway through it i just looked at the guy, shook my head and waved then left... not worth it...

14. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

Yeah I myself would love to be able to have a firearm incase the moment arised when I may need one, because I'm not exactly the biggest or scariest looking guy around.

I am unsure of the Georgia gun laws concerning keeping one in your car. Not that it's practical to keep a shotgun in your back seat... after my car was broken into I think my dad is considering buying a weapon to keep at home, maybe I should get a tazer or something for in my car

Craig

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  15. Brian

Brian Active Member

Unfortunately I like beeping at morons. When they get pissy it's fun to get them worked up and keep pushing their buttons. At the next g2g you see me at, ask me about the guy who called my bluff.

16. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

be careful with a gun... if you are afraid in a situation, the fear might make u over-react and you might do something that could ruin the rest of your life... if you know that you are in complete control of yourself, then keeping a gun around for self defense might not be a bad idea bacause u can be quite certain that you will only use it if REALLY needed

i have a temper issue... all my good friends know that... if i own a gun, i might over-react and use it... at the time it may seem justified but when i calm down, that might not be the case... hence i dont own a gun

17. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

This is my initial set back for owning one. I consider myself to be very calm, and I'm the only person out of all my friends that thinks of later consequences before an action is taken (when we were younger it was whether or not to sneak out, now it's whether I can drive after a drink-never have and don't plan to-or something worse). I feel like I am very responsible, and would just like to know that I do have a gun there for if something extremely bad happens, such as somebody getting out of their car with a gun and me having no way to exit the area.

I think my post up there made me sound bad, as if I need to compensate for size with firepower. I'm not looking to scare anybody who cuts me off with a big barrel sticking out my car in any way. It's just that size is a factor against me, especially when somebody thinks that just because I honked at them and I'm smaller than them that they can do whatever they want (in or out of their car).

Craig

18. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

your post didnt make u sound bad... in the end, it doesnt matter how big or small u are when someone has a gun or u are out numbered... so the reasons u would want a gun are the same reasons i would want one

but please make SURE you know the law... i dont think its legal to flash your weapon either

19. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

I believe you can keep your gun in your car as long as it's not concealed. It can be kept in your glove box, because it's easily accessible.

You cannot just pull it out because somebody honks their horn at you, but if a 6'5" guy steps out of his car with a baseball bat, I believe you are well within your right to pull out your gun in self defense, so long as you think he is going to try to kill you or do "grievous bodily harm".

If I do anything against the law I can be deported (green card holder, non-US citizen). Therefore, I definitely will not have a gun until I am a citizen. Not because I plan on doing anything wrong, but even if I am just protecting myself I know that the justice system does not 100% of the time lean in favor of the victim. Protecting myself = bye bye USA, hello Scotland

Craig

20. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

:rofl:

21. heathbar

heathbar Member

If a red bugeye cuts me off, I'm gonna think twice about honking...

I don't wanna get shot by Craig :eek:hnoes:

j/k ;)

22. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I need to edit that statement as I am sure with all the gun owners on here it might have caused debate. What I should have said, to be more factually accurate, is that owning a gun (arguably)statistically increases the chance of violent death for the owner. Subjectively, if you get out a car with a weapon, you better be damned sure you are willing to kill the other person with it, before they can kill you....

23. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I'd agree with that statement on pulling any kind of weapon out on anybody in any situation. Dont pull it out unless you are prepared to use it and deal with the consequences of your actions.

24. heathbar

heathbar Member

That makes a lot of sense. Whether you pull it out in defense or not, the presence of a lethal weapon is bound to escalate the situation quickly.

I... can't resist... Anchorman...
    - Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean, that really got out of hand fast.
    - It jumped up a notch.
    - It did, didn't it?
    - Yeah, I stabbed a man in the heart.
    - I saw that. Brick killed a guy.
    - There were horses and a man on fire and I killed a guy with a trident.

25. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

"Brick, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should find yourself a safehouse or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you're probably wanted for murder."

26. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

that sux man, people cannot drive for sh*t in atlanta, let alone gwinnett

27. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

I really would like one of those fancy tazers the police have those things have distance on em' no matter how big ya are ya gonna fall...but then again by the time I'm upset at something it's already too late. so as youre on the ground you may get a few kicks to the rib area "look at me, I did this to you" one to many mob movies.