Tire Choices

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by wileycoyote0022, Oct 6, 2014.

?

What tire you recommend? (DD 80miles a day)

1. Toyo Proxes 4 Plus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Falken Ziex ZE950

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Toyo Extensa HP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

8 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Ok guys here I go again for tires. Getting new tires this weekend, got some choices. Made friends with the manager at a local tire shop, big plus, and gets me pretty good deals. Either choose from these 3 or recommend something from their website. Please keep in mind, this car does get driven alot (80+ per day) I can post up more info on tires, but i figured you all know how google works.

http://slbatterytire.com/catalog/tires/page:1

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  2. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

What are you using the tire for?
    Treadwear needs?
    DD?
    How long do you want them to last?

One of my favorite bang for the buck all around tires is the Falken 452\3.

If you have the money though. Michelin SS 2\3s. GREAT tire for DD, grip, and lasting tread.

I've been using the Nitto NT05 for autox tires this year. They were about $156 per tire from discount tire. I have been very pleased with their performance. I've run about 14-15 events so far this year on them and they have about 50% tread left. I recommend them, great grip for the buck, and the sidewall is VERY strong on them.

The Dunlop ZII is also a great tire, but if you are going to autox or track them. Bring a spray bottle. They get kinda unpredictable once they get really hot.

3. KGraska

KGraska Member

:bowdown: Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Amazing grip that gets even better in the rain, very comfortable ride also.

Continental DW or DWS are also very good for the price, almost like a budget Michelin PSS but with a little better treadwear

4. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

yeah MPSS ftw. That is my choice for my next set..which I will be getting very soon hopefully.

Unfortunately Continental DWs are discontinued so if you can find a set, I would purchase them immediately. I think DWs are truly best bang for the bang, and their grip in the rain is amazing.

5. Master Volume

Master Volume Member

Continental Extreme Contract DWS. They're a completely different animal when you put them on an AWD. Ive caught air and thought i was done for in a turn, but the second they hit the road again I went exactly in the direction I wanted to. Great in the mud and dirt, you wont get stuck. Great for when the ice and snow come back around as well. Out perform the Pilot Super Sport in the rain in my experience. These are the tires to get.

6. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

oh man, in with the PSS bandwagon, it may seem like a ton of cash, but you have to factor in, they actually last a really long time for a summer, sure in the 30k area with mostly commuting, but that very respectable for what the tire is capable of.

Also for more of a commuter tire with amazing all weather ability, I second the DWS. Oh my god those things grip, only caveat is the sidewalls are soft so when you are playing in the mountains the feedback is vague and transitions feel sluggish. However, the DWS is also an extremely quiet tire which is nice for long commutes.

7. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

The shop he's going to doesn't carry continental.

Having said that, I absolutely love my Continental ExtremeContract DW. It's the non all season version of the ones that are posted above.

8. Thanks for the input!

I wont be doing any mountain runs for awhile. I moved to FL and now Im battling the hella amounts of rain they get here. Plus side is it never freezes here, so I can run a summer tire year round with no issues.

I still want some decent grip but need great traction in the rain, it seriously rains here EVERY DAY! 60 miles of my commute is highway. So tread ware is a big factor now. I want to try and keep my price below 600 (150 a tire).

PSS are way out of my price range, DWS look respectable. Keep'em coming guys...

9. He can get more than what is on the site, just gotta order them. Ill ask him about the Continental's though, seem to be a popular vote.

10. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

I ran 245/35/19 and 275/35/19 falken 452s on my 350 z for the 3 years. I think I went through like 5 sets... I absolutely loved those tires but I was replacing those damn things like every 15k miles

11. Western

Western Supporting Member

Im a big fan of the BFGoodrich Comp 2's that I recently put on my car to replace the stock Dunlops. While the Dunlops weren't bad, it has been my experience that the Comp-2's are absolutely great tires.

12. Master Volume

Master Volume Member

In regards to the side walls, if you air up to 50 PSI in the front and 48 PSI in the back, it firms things up quite nicely. Just keep an eye on them. Make sure to check every couple of weeks, especially now that our temperature is going to be going up and down drastically. Don't like the weather in Georgia? Just wait an hour. It'll change.

13. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

This is a horrible idea

[​IMG]

14. KGraska

KGraska Member

If you want the continentals and he isn't able to get them I can order them through my tire distributor for you, at my dealer cost of course.

15. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

So, I currently have the Bridgestone RE 760 Sports on mine. As in a recent post, I think I have moved the suspension mods past their capability for track use, but they have really good tread wear and are good in the rain. I believe they just went below your $150 price mark on Tirerack. I had Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 (name is wayyyy to long) on when I first got the car, and they seemed good too. The Bridgestones are quieter though. While shopping, I also saw the Conti DWS come up, but didn't think I needed an all season in ATL.
    That's all the experience I have had. Oh, apparently the Bridgestone S-04 are supposed to be pretty good too, and were also on sale around your price range. I was going to go with those, but the place I got them from didn't have them in stock and I had a nail in one tire, so I needed new ones quickly.
    Oh, and I just noticed that neither of these are on your voting buttons, so this may be no help at all. :)

16. Master Volume

Master Volume Member

17. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

18. Unless some magical deal comes across my lap, Continental will be my go too. KGraska, I'll let you know, thanks.

19. Master Volume

Master Volume Member

20. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

21. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I have a special kind of hate for the stock dunlops, mine are so noisey right now I can hardly hear myself think. They only have 10,000 miles on them, and only autox'd 1 time on them...

I cant believe those things sell for $250 per tire they arent excellent at anything. For that price I expect them to be good at 1 thing... lol

22. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

i believe that's why i was told they should be called dunflaps. i have GR take off's on some 18's wheels I had on my car, I honestly thought I lost a wheel bearing or delaminated a tire on a mountain run.

23. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

I don't really have anything negative to say about the dunlops on my 15, but I haven't pushed them yet either.

24. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

This is my experience as well. They make track slicks sound like luxury tires...

The 1 autox I did on them was BAD. No warning what so ever before the car started to slide. Dont get me wrong, I got to work on my counter steer technique and it was fun. :coolugh:

I cant wait till they are done...

25. KA05STi

KA05STi Member

I think some of you guys are missing the most valuable point of almost 80 miles a day. That being said the Michelin Pilot Super Sport would definitely be out. I'm not really a fan of any of those tire choices. But if I only could choose the 3 it would be the Falken ZE950. If you came to my store I would recommend the Nitto Motivos and for all you Continental fans the new ControlContact Sport AS tire.

26. integroid

integroid Supporting Member