tire shopping

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Mad Mallard, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

I need new tires. I need cheap tires.

I have no mods, I will not spend more than 80$ for tires that go on to shoe my beater.

So, that being said, is there a good local place? or should I order them online and just have them installed?

advise?

2. AthensWRX

AthensWRX Member

discount tire direct, online b/c it's tax free and then if you have problems you can go to the store... :D

3. Mad Mallard

!!!

*clicks*

4. Mad Mallard

hmmm

Kumho Ecsta? or BFG Extreme

5. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

712's !! I have them and they are a great daily driver, as well @ the autocross

6. Mad Mallard

give me an idea how much better than OEM they are. :)

7. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

1 to 10 and the stockers being a 2, I would say 7.5

8. Mad Mallard

dang! i was actually looking at the ASX. are those going to be alot rougher?

9. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Go on tirerack and read the reviews for all the different tires. That is where you can find out what tires are best for your needs.

10. Mad Mallard

yeah, i've been looking at that and i got the ASX mixed up with the 712s as the summer/allseason.

I think I'll go with the ASX, tho. I don't see much track time right now, and still want ride comort for as much as I drive distances...got a good quote from discount, thx again Athens & everyone.

11. Mad Mallard

Purchase was very smooth.

install was about 15 minutes tops. O_O

I like the result.

12. Porter

Porter Member

Good choice. ASX is a great tire, a much newer design than the 712.

13. Mad Mallard

Porterrr.. . .I haven't visited you at your new workplace yet . . .

I need 30k service soon...I'll bring the donuts.

as for the tires, yeah, I can't really tell if the tires are quieter directly. But indirectly, I can hear the engine and the turbo mor clearly.

Performance so far (what, a day?)is very sticky. I flung it around a corner and it wasn't screaming at the speeds the bridgestones were.

the pricepoint on the tire was the big sell for me, but prolly the best part was the speed they moved at. I would advise these folks for beater service too.

one trick, tho. The store tried to sell me the Ecstas in stock for $20 more per tire than the website. Make sure you take the website direct quote for price to the stores.

14. longfury

longfury Active Member

I would have suggested the Toyo Proxes 4. But it was out of your price range at about $120 a tire. Stick like glue and wear very well.

15. Mad Mallard

i've had the tires for almost a week now, and because of the freakish gulf coast weather blowing thru, I've but the tires into a bunch sifferent situations. I think these tires are a GREAT value.

Very sticky when thrown into unexpected lateral G's, both dry and wet. When driven agressively, you can feel the grip control as the awd takes affect easily.

most of all, a drive from a friend's house seemed shorter, and I know it wasnt because of the Dire Straits CD i was playing. I'm guessing the overall ride comfort and road noise is much improved.

Highly recommended tire.