Today I got hit by debit card fraud.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by baddriver, Oct 16, 2007.

1. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Nothing too bad this time, I hope. :eek:hnoes::sx::eek:hnoes::sx::eek:hnoes:

My bank's fraud department called me to let me know that someone tried to use my debit card 11 times in two hours. They were asking me for personal information so I thought they were actually phishing, so I hung up and called them via the number on the back of the card and it turned out the call was legitimate.

The first transaction probably went through, but the other 10 were declined. All I know right now is the first of the fraudulant charge attempts was from Michigan.

So now the card is deactivated and it looks like I'm going to have to dispute one charge.

2. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

glad they caught it with hopefully minimal damage. I love when they call you..sir we have a charge on your card...was this you? No....Ok well we are going to investigate and will be back to you with in 90 days...losers..lol...good luck man!

3. FACE

FACE Active Member

That sucks man! let us know how it works out! Good Luck!

4. yeah, I got hit by that a few months ago and my bank handled it poorly. Took over a week to get the money back. they hit me for around $1600.00.

I closed my account within two months of that and got an account at wachovia. Turns out that the bank I left - NetBank - got closed by the FDIC one month later.

Good luck with yours. I hope your bank has it together better than NetBank did.

5. mckenzietj

mckenzietj Member

Crap!! NOW HOW AM I GOING TO GET BACK HOME, IT'S COLD UP HERE!

6. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

glad they caught it!

7. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

I think I'll watch my card like a hawk when I present it at restaurants, etc. or pay cash.

8. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Yeah the thought of some assclown in Harper Woods, MI freezing into an icicle would be great if i were only that simple.

I don't think anything actually cleared before the card was canceled. :) It looks like the fraud prevention guys were able to reverse or stop the first unauthorized payment as well.

Frigging lowlife crooks.

9. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

Word of advice (my 2 c)
    Tell your bank you want an ATM card not a debit card.
    And if you want a Credit card then apply for one. A debit card has none to minimum user (card holder) authority. As soon as its charged the money is removed from your bank immediately. And if there is fraud you are on the short end of the stick and up to the bank to get the money back into your account. A credit card in the other hand is not, the bank may have the $$ still in the bank and the vendor is the one on the short end.

Mckenzietj: So does that mean the payment you paid me for all those parts are no good ? I want those parts back !

10. mckenzietj

mckenzietj Member

Mckenzietj: So does that mean the payment you paid me for all those parts are no good ? I want those parts back ![/QUOTE]

Sorry man, I'm stuck in Michigan right now, I need the "ixis electric blanket/ can-opener". See if you can run that card one more time!

11. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

i would strongly suggest pulling your credit history ASAP.

12. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Nothing odd yet, but Georgia still doesn't allow people to put a credit freeze, just posting fraud alerts to the credit bureaus.

I guess I'll fork out the cash for credit monitoring on Truecredit.