Top Gear Africa

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Strayen, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

So is this the ultimate WRX commercial or did they really just happen to pick 3 random cars for the show? I can't imagine why Captain Slow would pick the Volvo for Africa. He seems level headed enough not to pick the worst car possible.

Also, what other estate wagons would you pick in the $3,000 range (1,500UK)?

2. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

not a reliable WRX, as those don't exist in that price range...

This special was a let down for me, granted my expectations for these adventures compare to the Polar Special, Vietnam, South America and even the older African special (which so far was better than this one). I hope they step up in the second half airing this weekend.

As for the answer to your question, I would've gone Volvo as well, but not something as impractically stupid as Slow's car. Also, the American used car market really, really sucks if they're able to easily find those quality of vehicles for that price.

Also - it's only about $2.25k, not $3k...bigger difference when you're looking at stuff already floating in the bottom of the bucket

3. Aggregate

Aggregate Member

Outback Sport would have been my choice. James picking a fast volvo was surprising.

4. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

This looks like a good car which would qualify...except for that pesky oil leak and rotors.
    CAR LINK

wow...only 1 AWD car on Autotrader.

5. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

I have to think the UKDM has a completely different economy than the USDM, though this is one of the first challenges where they've all gotten somewhat reliable cars for the challenge (which i'm not really a fan of, either...)

separate but related - anybody watching the US Top Gear? It's actually been better than the UK version for the past season, imo. If you haven't watched since the start of Season 3, save your bitching...the newer episodes have been pretty epic. They got rid of the studio shit (since they're all terrible at the interviewing side / conversational side of presenting) and big star / little car (or whatever retarded name it was) and are sticking to nothing but challenges. If you wrote it off after watching the first half of season one (as I did), I would recommend giving it another shot, just start at season 3.

6. Smokin_Joe

Smokin_Joe Member

I've watched every episode. but then again, I'm a little biased.
    most people people slam it. I just like to support a friend and hope he does well so I do my part.

What people don't realize is that producers of the TG UK also produce the TGUSA show. same camera guys. same producers. The other driving factor is History. They have some say so on how the show works so the show has evolved. is it for the best? who knows. I'll continue to watch it until its no longer on the air. I hope it runs for a while.

Joe