TopSpeeds 08sti - 424hp 385tq with just 4 MODS :)

Discussion in 'Vendor Chat' started by Doug@DBW Motorsports, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

I will continue to add to this thread as all the testing is completed.

But for now I had to make a post because I was never expecting it to make this much power with so many stock pieces and such few power mods.

For those that don't know I have the privelage of testing the new AMS Rotated GT35r turbo kit on my 08sti. This kit was made for the 02-07 impreza so I had to adapt it to work on my 08sti, which meant modding a few pieces like the intake and downpipe so the ones pictured are not AMS's pieces FWIW. But I would expect with in the next few weeks AMS will have the new pieces Jigged up for the 08sti so have no fear 08sti guys I am sure they will have you covered. For everyone else their kit will bolt right up and honestly it should only be about a days worth of work. It comes with very detailed instructions so I assume anyone with a basic mechanical skill could do the install. If not then give us a ring and we can get you hooked up.

The AMS turbo kit's quality is second to none... I have yet to see such a well built kit. Hands down this is the most complete kit I have ever seen. From the time the box arrived I have been amazed. Every piece in the box was packaged in expanding foam to keep it safe. Every nut, bolt, zip tie, hose, clamps, etc.. that you could ever need to install the kit was also there. Not once did I have to run and find a bolt or hose to make it work. AMS has once again come through with a winning piece. I can say without a doubt that it gets the TOPSPEED STAMP OF APPROVAL!!

I plan on doing alot of testing with this kit since its on my persoal STI. My first plans are to switch out the current .82ar Tial V-band to a .63ar tial housing. I will post the dyno results when I do so, but as it sits now I am again surprised by the tial .82ar housing. Currently I am seeing 14psi @3600rpms and then 20psi @3900rpms. This is outstading for a .82ar housing as usually we don't see 20psi till low to mid 4k rpms. .

Deatschwerks also provided me with their very nice 850cc topfeed injectors, which are by far the nicest set of 850cc I have tuned on. I have tuned on every type and brand of injector made and these DW850cc injectors are the $h!t, they start idle and drive just like factory. I highly recommend anyone looking for a set of injectors to purchase a set of Deatschwerks.

Since this is my car I like to do things outside of the norm, so the car is setup to run the factory 08sti TMIC which in my opinion is a very well built piece. The fin density and core size is unbeatable, I have yet to find an intercooler that I think will beat the new stock sti's piece. On the previous year sti's I could make about 400-430whp before the TMIC was just out of flow. Well the new 08sti runs a much larger factory TMIC which I expect will support 450-500whp. While on the dyno doing 4th gear pulls the TMIC never got hot, hell it was barely warm to the touch. I was expecting it to work well but at this point I am beyond amazed... only thing I can attest it to is the fact that at 20psi the GT35r's output air temps are pretty low.

I will post more as I do more testing.

MODS" (yes all four)

AMS GT35R TURBO KIT
    DEATSCHWERKS 850CC TOPFEEDS
    UEL 4-1 HEADER
    COBB apV2 - Tuned by myself of course :)

Still stock but to be upgraded

Stock Catback
    Stock Intercooler
    Stock Fuel Pump
    Stock Longblock w/tgv's
    Stock Clutch

I am sorry about my crappy pics all I had was my phone

[​IMG]

[​IMG].

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

wow....congrats doug that looks like a monster

3. Brian

Brian Active Member

TMIC's FTW! ;)

4. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

damn.... looks like a tight fit for that turbo with the ABS block there.

Very impressive!!

5. Jake

Jake Active Member

what were you making with the stock turbo and the down pipe and tune? I thought it was over 400tq??

That is kikass tho for just 4 mods!!

6. Doug@DBW Motorsports

I made 400tq and about 325hp but that was on racegas.. on pumpgas it made 360tq and 300hp

7. UpSideDownDesi

UpSideDownDesi Active Member

those are good number

8. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Good goo that's some mighty power :)

9. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

WOW! nice numbers...

10. wrxin8or

\\

So when is the racegas tune, and what numbers are you expecting?

11. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Awesome! Was it running out of fuel with the stock pump?

12. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Not at 20lbs... the 08sti come with a larger volume pump than the earlier years. IIRC they flow close to 225lph so almost a walboro 255 but not quite.

13. Doug@DBW Motorsports

I want to test a catback first just on pumpgas. Honestly I am not sure when I will do a racegas tune as this is my daily.. ;)

14. wrxin8or

:unamused:

Now we know you won't just leave this one alone...we expect an update when its fully done:rofl:

15. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

pretty impressive

16. FACE

FACE Active Member

Very nice Doug!

17. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

What ever Mr. I don't want to tear this car apart, I'll probably just do a small stock location turbo, I like this car just like it is, it's the best Subaru ever...LOL. Do you remember when you told me that the day that I dropped my 05 off last? Thats when I was telling you about my plan to do a .63ar 30r with the stock TMIC on my 08 STI. Hook a brotha up to test the 30r kit. ;)

Where do you think the limit will be on the stock fuel pump? I ONLY want to target about 400whp. Do you think I should consider DW 740's or would 850's be the best way to go?

Awesome job! TopSpeed tuning FTW!!!

18. Doug@DBW Motorsports

I would just get the DW850cc I am not sure about the pump yet... I will get back to you on that one

19. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Good lord that's nasty.

How much can Topspeed sell an AMS rotated kit?

20. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

I would hope for much less than the $4000 listed (AMS) on their site....

21. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yeah but with Baller and Sargent's kits coming in much much cheaper gonna be a hard decision to make.

22. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

If and/or when LOL.

Matt!!!! :D

23. integroid

Hey, the Baller Racing kit is out:) I have proof of it on my car!

24. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Wow. That is impressive!

25. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

There kit looks really nice, I saw it on Dougs car while he was on vacation. Top quality stuff for sure.

26. integroid

They better be if you are dropping $4k on just the rotated kit!

27. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Perfection takes time ;)

Nice work on the car Doug! Can't wait to see the boost turned up some.

28. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

I saw this kit yesterday while I was at TopSpeed. It is very nice!!! I want one very bad! 30r of course. ;)

29. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Please tell me your car is finished.....

30. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

The AEM ran one up in me yesterday...no kiss no nothing.
    So no. :(

31. integroid

Just curious DOug, what kind of UEL header do you have in your car?

32. Doug@DBW Motorsports

I am not sure what UEL header it was. I know it was very nice which is why I had to buy it... but it was used and has no name on it.

Right now I am working on getting the Speed Density dialed in and working correctly before I continue testing different parts.

33. integroid

Humm...I remember you saying that the SD with the APv2 was only available for certain model year STi's? but I just read this from Cobb's site.

"COBB Tuning is proud to announce the availability of AccessTUNER Pro “Speed Density” support for all Subaru drive-by-wire vehicles equipped with a COBB v2 AccessPORT."

If this is true, could you convert my car to SD? It is a DBW car so it should work on my car as well?

34. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

No, Cobb SD is only for 08+ Sti's right now. They are starting there and working their way back with the year models. LGT's won't be done until after the 04 STI. :(

35. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Yup LGT's are way down the line.. And to be completely honest the SD software is extremely time extensive to tune. If someone wanted me to tune a car with SD expect it to take me 10-12hrs and Scott about 20-30 (haha I kid.. low blow). I don't imagine you will see the SD avail to the public for atleast a year. The amount of time it takes to perfect the maps and software are huge.

Think of it this way... tuning a Suby normally means calibrating the maf in a 2D format, or just one data point per voltage. With the SD you now must create a 3D assumed airflow table that outputs a calculated maf aiflow base on RPM vs MAP. So this means you must go cell by cell with your good running MAF map and datalog the data points slowly building a SD assumed airflow map. Here is a screen shot of what I am talking about. Once that is done it "gets" you in the ballpark.. but even then it takes a tremendous amount of time to get it dialed in correctly. This is not something I would suggest a noob tooner or anyone without a ton of experience dealing with subys to do.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  36. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Woah that sounds intensive Doug. Also you have ZERO base SD maps to go with so you are starting fresh and new right.

I imagine after 500+ SD tunes you will have a better and quicker feel for tuning SD wouldn't you?

37. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Correct, like with everything its usually the first few that take the longest. However with SD almost no two cars will be the same. Since every part has a different Effect on the VE of an engine which would change the SD table significantly.

But fortunately for us we are one of the Beta Testers for Cobb so we have a huge head start. ;)

38. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Lead starts rock. Topspeed's always on the top of their game.

Good luck!

39. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

In simple terms(please), what does SD give you over a normal tune? I understand that its a lot more in depth.. but, would this net more power, or just a more exact tune for the individuals car?

40. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Better response, better drivability, no limit to the turbo flow (as much as the MAP will register), and overall better tune.

41. Doug@DBW Motorsports

I would say on sub 450whp car the SD wont really give much. But for the built motor, big turbo guys looking to make as much power as possible the benefit will be huge.

42. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

You going with the hybrid mode or straight SD Doug?

43. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

Straight SD is his original plan. I guess we'll see what he decides from here...

44. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Going to start with Hybrid, and then switch to SD.

45. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

I just remembered some words about ripping out the MAF and a 3.5 bar MAP sensor and 30 psi...LOL

46. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Fun, good luck with it Doug. I am sure you will have a good time!

47. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Doug I'm very very very jealous. Thanks for the ride. Like I told you in the shop 10 mins after the ride....my adrenaline was still pumping for a while.

I have a very newfound respect for the GT35R with the Tial housing. And that wasn't even the .63 housing!!!!

No BOV was sick too.

48. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Just snapped off some new photos as I am getting ready to leave the shop and drive to Carolina Motorsports Park. I will be bringing my TrackMate so I will have data and some killer incar videos to post up when I return. Nothing really new done to the car other than the Racetech seat and switching to the Cobb Speed Density.

Until then here are how the car sits today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

49. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Hehehe.

I'm thinking about tomorrow and your phrase on the rear view mirror that is aimed towards SS.

50. wrxin8or

That car is just begging for an alcantara wheel from 10th st jdm