Totsubo's GTR

Discussion in 'Art & Photography' started by flat4ever666, Dec 16, 2008.

1. flat4ever666

flat4ever666 Member

2. totsubo

totsubo Member

No kidding, that black soaked all the color. I can see tremendous flaring around the door handle area.

3. totsubo

totsubo Member

I will be heading out to take some more pictures this Friday night towards 12 AM by Lenox mall. Just reply if you want to meet up. I will post the location on Friday morning.

flat4ever666 and a buddy of his may go too. I hope he does go so he can give me some photo tips.

I am trying to get more GTRs out there. :)

4. totsubo

totsubo Member

Here is a picture using the D90 on a purple car in low light against headlights.

[​IMG]

Very grainy...

5. flat4ever666

flat4ever666 Member

yeah my white balance was off, but if we backed up against the wall there directly under the light the flare would be a lot less.

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Grainy because iso is too high.

Open up the aperture and slow down the shutter speed. Don't raise the iso :) GTR photo is fairly underexposed, can barely make out the details on the car while the lights in the background are super bright.

7. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

^I actually tried to photoshop but failed epicly, the shadows were just a bit too much to deal with and still keep a natrual appearance

8. totsubo

totsubo Member

Alex, can you come out on Friday night and give me some tips at the photoshoot? A lot of the other GTRs are black too.

9. totsubo

totsubo Member

BTW, settings I used:

Focal Length 29mm
    F/4.5
    Exposure Time: 1/100 sec.
    ISO-800
    Exposure Compensation 0 step

10. rdy4flt

rdy4flt Member

I would have shot at 1/30 shutter speed...just beware of camera shake. If using flash drop your iso to 400.

See how that works. I have a D80 and I was at Disneyland at night shooting with my 18-200vr without flash shooting at iso400 and 1/30. You just have to keep a steady hand or tripod mount that bitch. :)

11. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

You'll need a tripod and probably a remote too... Just saying... if you want to borrow mine let me know. And I have a Nikon remote too.

12. flat4ever666

flat4ever666 Member

a top of everything the my picture of the GTR is out of focus, i took about 100 that night and none of them cam out good.

13. totsubo

totsubo Member

I will have a tripod there. I would like to get a remote and a flash.

14. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

If you have a tripod you can get by with a proper lense, for example the F1.8 50mm from Canon. Just open up the apature and take however long shutter speed needed to gather enough light.

15. flat4ever666

flat4ever666 Member

You will need to shoot off camera flashes to create the desired look. one can work but two is better, i may or my not have my flashes for friday.

16. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

They're still nice shots given the setting!

But, if you're going to redo these... it helps to find a background free of unwanted objects such as parking signs and ends of walls. And if you can put the subject in front of something darker it'll help (less of a silhouette). If not, something far off and out of focus. If you don't have a remote flash, take one of those yellow work lights from home depot and an extension cord with you. It'll help. If it's SUPER glossy (a car) then a pillow case in front of it will soften the glare. Just be sure it doesn't catch fire! That's what I do... let me see if I can find any previously uploaded night shots that show what I'm saying...

Here:
    [​IMG]
    See the side light? It's just a flashlight off to the side, but my glare is MINIMAL considering the 5 second exposure! Obviously I used a tripod... the streak in the back is someone on a bike with a headlight.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  17. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Given all the things working against you, that's not bad at all. looking into a HID kit within halogen housings at night probably without a tripod...

18. totsubo

totsubo Member

@ mmtasty : Thanks. The halogen light setup would be awesome. How were you planning on power it?

There will be a white GTR (Sharif's GTR) there with nice rims. Should make for some awesome shots.

[​IMG]

19. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

if you're using auto-iso on the D90, you can set the max allowed. Mine does crazy stuff and allows tries to max out in low light.

You can also play around with the d-lighting to see if you can get some more detail out of those shadow.

20. totsubo

totsubo Member

Matt, bring your car down. It is a very camera friendly Subie!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  21. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

The car sure is...

22. cleanmachine

cleanmachine Member

I'd like to check this meeting out. Looks like i could learn a thing or two about photography too.

23. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

i woudln't mind coming by.... flat4ever666 shot some of my car and i wouldnt mind just seeing all the cars and chilling

24. totsubo

totsubo Member

Anyone know any local police who would like to go? We cannot pay them, but it might be fun for them to watch.

25. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Greg?

26. totsubo

totsubo Member

I was able to get more digital photography practice last night:

[​IMG]

My first official sighting of a GTR.

27. totsubo

totsubo Member

28. totsubo

totsubo Member

The list of GTRs attending:
    Terry's Cobb black R35
    Rob's Cobb black R35
    M's black R35
    black Forge Performance R34 V-Spec
    Sharif's white Forge Performance R35
    Tom's gray R35
    J's white R35

29. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Oh dear! Nice list of cars!!!!!

Can a lonely Audi come by?

30. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

damn...I was soo planning on attending this....but a family emergency is taking me out of town tomorrow morning. :(

my buddy is still planning on going in his black MazdaSpeed6.

:)

31. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

has a time and place been decided on???

32. totsubo

totsubo Member

The time is midnight tonight. The place is by Lenox Mall.

PM me before 6 PM to get the exact location.

33. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Damn..these are sweet cars, but I still like the R32's better...great pics...

Mark

34. totsubo

totsubo Member

35. jayj713

jayj713 Member

I think i almost died of jealousy

36. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

You dicks with your super-awesome cars....

*kicks sand and trudges away mumbling*

37. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

That's a tastefully done R34. I still think R34 styling > R35.

38. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

I gotta agree with you there Russell. It's almost like the R34 is a muscle car from our youth and the R35 is just the new version...like a GTO. Both are hawt though...and I'm jealous of you all, great pics!

39. Jake

Jake Active Member

i wanna say i've seen that R34 in savannah before (since it has chatham county plates).

nice photoshoot guys. and the photo skills are pretty decent IMO