Toyota FT-86

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Strayen, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

id drive it for sure

[​IMG]

EDIT: can we still call it a "Hachi"?

3. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

really like that color

4. jadeb0x

jadeb0x New Member

very nice!

5. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

not liking the wheels...otherwise I like it.

6. Wonder if they're still planning on keeping the base price south of $20k...

7. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I wonder which motor its getting, 2.0 or 2.5.

I still want a Genisis

8. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

9. slowwrx

Version 9 JDM 2.0....that would truly be sick, if not Ill have to pass

10. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

The wheels is what I like most on this car.

11. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

^^ agreed.

I like the car. I do wonder how "swappable" it's going to be.

12. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

looking great but nasty wheels, but nothing a set of nice concave TE37s cannot fix :D

13. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

14. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Dang 33k range? STi prices....hmmm......tough call. But it's a lot better looking than an STi.

15. Seriously? If that's the case then forget about it. I just thought I'd heard at one time that they were gonna try to use $20k as a target price.

16. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't think this is the joint venture car between Subaru and Toyota....

or is it?

edit...it is. I need to read the article. :rofl:

Also, the toyota version could be more but the Subaru version might be less...who knows until it makes it into production

17. Jake

Jake Active Member

toyotas are always pricey IMO when brand new, they also generally hold their value well.

look at used Tacomas or 4Runners they are easily $1000-$5000 more than the comparable vehicles of that year/style/etc

18. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

It looks like a 350Z and a Lexus IS had a baby. I like that it is a hatch, but knowing Toyota it will probably only be available in an automatic or you can only get a manual in the slow version like the IS.

19. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

as far as i know the article said, "it is a very affordable 33k"

20. UpSideDownDesi

UpSideDownDesi Active Member

sti motor in it and it's a deal for 33k. NA 2.0 in it, they can keep it. It will only look nice, sounds nice, and that's about it.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  21. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Ya a 2.5 sti block in it and price it at 33k and make sure that 6spd is as good as the STI and it'll be a deal.

22. Jake

Jake Active Member

its supposed to be RWD right?

23. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I don't think the Subaru version is.

24. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Unless the 2.5 keeps 'sploding like the new STi's... I would not touch any Subaru made after 07 with a 10 foot pole.

25. Unless the Subaru version uses a different platform they should all be RWD... not enough room between the front of the car and the front hubs

26. FACE

FACE Active Member

Not a big fan of the wheels myself but I am digging the color.

27. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

28. slowwrx

With the BBS LMs its sick.

Heres the problem, 33K is a new EVO\STI, if its got a 2.0 in it, I"m not interested. To make any real power you have to swap the block, theres already a shop with an unsleeved Genesis over 475whp. The Genesis looks just as good, seems to be holding up well and its the same motor as the new evo so parts are coming with a quickness.

The wife and I went to look at a Genesis and it was over 30K and its just not worth it, its a cool car but resale is going to be shit on it because despite the fact that they are making great cars....its still a Hyundai.

29. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

^ I thought I said TE37s, not Rota Grids lol. BBS LM looks great on the car though

30. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

And your point is?????

31. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Subaru just needs to make theirs the 2-door sti or something. I hope someone at Subaru is reading this. I will buy it! That's one confirmed sale. :p

32. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

[​IMG]

Another view...I really like this...

33. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

2JZ-GTE Twin Turbo + Gertrag 6sp + RWD = 33k

34. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

35. BelvnAWD

A little more info, not sure how accurate:

The collaboration has yet to issue final plans but here are several details on the powertrain and chassis of the Toyota FT-86 showcar, the joint Toyota-Subaru project that was built by Subaru.
    Inside Line has discovered a Subaru variant of this car that will arrive in 2011. It will share the Toyota FT-86’s naturally aspirated 2.0-liter flat-4, but it’s likely that the output will be raised to about 250 horsepower.

Source: http://www.4wheelsnews.com/subaru-version-of-ft-86-will-receive-an-awd-system-and-around-250-hp/

36. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

Edmunds Insideline says:
    TOKYO — It is already common knowledge that the powertrain and chassis of the Toyota FT-86 showcar, the joint Toyota-Subaru project, was built by Subaru, but no word has officially been released about the automakers' final plans for this collaboration. And not a word has been said about Subaru's intention for this setup.
    Inside Line has learned that there will be a Subaru variant of this car coming sometime in 2011. It will share the Toyota FT-86's naturally aspirated 2.0-liter flat-4, but we hear that output will be raised to approximately 250 horsepower (Toyota's car is rumored to be around 200). Subaru's version will feature all-wheel drive, so more power will be necessary to carry the added weight. Both cars will be outfitted with a six-speed manual gearbox.IL has also learned that Subaru's car will be slightly larger than the Toyota thanks to a stretched platform.
    Because of its larger size, extra power and all-wheel drive, expect the Subaru to come in around $30,000, about $5,000 more than the Toyota. This keeps the two coupes from directly competing with each other, and from potentially stealing sales from the Subaru Impreza WRX.

37. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

if the Subaru variant looks nearly like that, is 2 doors, and is much lighter than a WRX, maybe close to the 2.5RS of yore, I may look into it. And of course, put a turbo in it down the road. :)

38. Jake

Jake Active Member

39. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

[​IMG]

google translated from the BestMotoring.cn

"The earlier Japanese media reports rumors appear to have been confirmed, Subaru / Toyota's test team has a formal presence in the north Nuerburgring circuit, and began a highly disguised two-door sports car prototype for testing. German media have generally agreed that the forthcoming launch in 2011 of Subaru 086A STI, will be powered by 300 hp output level of the EJ25 2.5L turbocharged four-cylinder engine with six-speed manual gearbox and rear-drive layout, a new car The performance will be very close to the BMW 135i Coupe! As new car prices, the market is estimated that with the cheaper than the BMW 135i over the past three Zhisi Cheng."

40. BelvnAWD

If they make a vert, I am selling a kidney...