Tranny question, please help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by WRXEM02, Oct 5, 2005.

1. WRXEM02

WRXEM02 Member

my second gear broke in my tranny so i took it to the dealer for them to fix etc. when i went to pick it up it was making a ticking noice and less than a month later it broke.

My question to you is:
    Are 2002 Gears still made?
    If not then wouldnt that mean they would have had to replace my second gear with a 2003 gear which is wider than the 02?

Would leaving the 2002 gears mixed with a wider 2003 gear cause the ticking sound and subsequent breaking of the tranny less than a month later?

The reason i ask is because the dealer is attempting to make me pay for this again when i feel its their fault and def not mine. What does WRXATL think?

2. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I think the gears themselves are the same through 04 or so but other stuff was strengthened after 02.

3. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

i think they should pay for it and if you have to bring an attorney into it you should. Dont give in and tell them you will stand outside of the dealership and tell all the customers how much of scammers they are. Try eveyrthing you can but if they fixed it the first time and you paid them its there fault its broken.

4. WRXEM02

WRXEM02 Member

From what i gathered from nasioc and other forums the 02 WRX had problems breaking gears so in 2003 and no up they made the gears wider (took the gears for the RA Spec WRX but didnt cryotreat them) and put them into the 03-05 wrx's The 02's are teh ones with the weak gears. And im not going to give in, they are going to fix my car one way or another, i just got off the phone with SOA and they are looking into it.

5. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

good luck getting it fixed... they should cover it

6. WRXEM02

WRXEM02 Member

They want to charge me 1850.00 to fix it. This is gonna be a long battle

7. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

I have had my 03 since 2002 and i have never heard this. the gears are exactly the same in 2002-2005..they may have strengthened the teeth a little but they are not the same as the RA gears..in the STi RA 1st-5th gears are totally different gear ratios not to mention much stronger..

Stock 2002-2005 WRX Ratio: 3.454 (1st) 1.947 (2nd) 1.366 (3rd) 0.972 (4th) 0.738 (5th)
    STi RA ratios: 3.083 (1st), 2.062 (2nd), 1.545 (3rd), 1.151 (4th), 0.825 (5th)
    STi (Non-RA) ratios: 3.166 (1st), 1.882 (2nd), 1.296 (3rd), 0.972 (4th), 0.738 (5th)

i wish our cars came with RA gears, but they dont..im not sure where you are getting your info but it is not correct..however if you do want to put RA gears in your car you can for around $1400-$1800 plus labor

Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  8. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

did you put it on a credit card?

If you did then call them and dispute the charges. The credit card company will handle it from there.

Matt

9. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

damn, for that kind of money just drop the RA gears in.

10. WRXEM02

WRXEM02 Member

I put it on a debit card