Transmission Options

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by GTscoob, Nov 29, 2004.

1. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Hey guys,

Help me figure out which transmission to get.

Option 1: Rebuild the automatic. First choice if SOG will cover it for warranty.

Option 2: JDM non-DCCD 6speed from East Coast Scooby on Nasioc. $3950 plus shipping with a used unknown mileage clutch.

Option 3: USDM 6speed for $3450 with 9,000 miles on it. I would need a DCCD controller for another $700.

Option 2 will need a clutch somewhere down the road, whereas option 3 I should be able to run the stock clutch for a while.

Please discuss.

-Bobby

2. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

Well if SOG will cover the auto then just do that, cuz its free. But if you don't want to dish out all the money for the 6 speed, whats wrong with the 02-03 WRX 5 speed?

3. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I agree, get the auto if SOG will cover..

Scoob, my problem with the 5 speed is that I think 5th gear is too small. While just cruising at 80mph I've noticed the rpms at 3200-3300, killing our gas mileage. I don't think(unless your a little on the crazy side), u would use 5th for racing, so why not make it larger? So..If I had the cheeze, I would go for the 6 speed myself..

Back to the auto trans, I've never understood why people get automatic sports cars. In the cars I've driven with auto's(example a 96 trans am w/350), it doesn't shift at the right times, seems like its geared for gas mileage. Even if you shift yourself with the auto it seems like engine managment won't give you full control...

just my .02

4. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

If I went with a 5speed it would cost more than the 6speed because I'd have to put RA gears in, new synchros, bearings etc.

I'm agreeing about the warranty. If it only costs us $60 to tow it I'm fine.

As far as the automatic. My parents got the car for me as a nice daily driver, they just didnt know it was modded when they bought it. It has a high-stall torque converter which pretty much makes it behave similarly to a 5speed. I'm also rediculously tall which makes an auto nice, but since it's broken I might as well replace it the correct way if I'm going to have to shell out money.

5. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

Oh don't get me wrong the 6 speed is dam sexy and everything but if you ever wanted to race it at the strip you would be pushing 5th in the quarter. That was my only thing. The WRX 5th is small but its pretty good on the strip.

6. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

#2 is by far the most exspensive and if you do go that way you should go on and replace the clutch while the tranny is down and out.
    me...i would go with #3 and that clutch that comes with it with only 9000 on it should be ok for awhile