Transmission woes and a quick question.

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by shiftynick, Aug 9, 2011.

1. shiftynick

shiftynick Member

Haven't been on here in a while, but now I'm need of some info.

Last week I blew up my transmission. I was driving it hard and when hitting 2nd gear it let go on me. My guess is that I exploded 2nd gear - immediately lost power, sounded like bits and pieces of metal were bouncing around in the case - now I can get it into all gears (some requiring a little work), when engaging the clutch I get some movement in all gears EXCEPT 2nd before what feels like something getting crunched in the gears - definitely not drivable.

So now I'm hunting a used tranny to put in and not sure what my options are. It's an 01' RS, with an EJ20 swap. I'm 99% sure the transmission in it was the original RS tranny. Aside from a transmission from a '98-'01 RS, what other (if any) transmissions from other years/models would drop right in, without having to swap out other parts? I'm down near Daytona, FL now and will probably have a local shop do the replacement if I can find a used one at a good price.

2. b reel

b reel Active Member

02_06 WRX 5-spd will require new clutch assembly and clutch slave cylinder.

3. Raziel1

Raziel1 Member

4. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

I know of a 6 speed swap specifically for a 2001 2.5 rs :)

5. shiftynick

shiftynick Member

Thanks for the infos. I wish I had the time and money to drop in a 6speed, looks like for now I'm gonna have to take the cheap/easy route and find the a match to the original. Every now and then I see one for $500-600.

6. Raziel1

Raziel1 Member

ur better off going with the tranny with the 3yr warranty..those $500-600 will leave u high and dry

7. shiftynick

shiftynick Member

While the warranty would be nice, with that transmission I'll apparently have to go with a new clutch assembly and slave cylinder, putting the total price too high.

8. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Used slave and oem clutch should be pretty cheap. Used transmissions could already have damage that could go out again quickly :( other option is Andy can rebuild yours!

9. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Please PM me the price for a rebuild on a 5-spd.