Unusually cool so far this year?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by moose, Jun 10, 2005.

1. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I did some insulation work (no more than $30-40 spent) last fall and put in a new HVAC system this spring. My elec bill was 1032KWH last year for this period, and 587KWH for this year. I'd like to think a good chunk of it's due to what I did, but was wondering if anybody else has seen unusually low usage for this past period.... heck, I've kept the house nice and cool (like 72) when I'm home and it was still cheap!

2. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

I think a lot of it is the work you have done moose. We have been keeping our house about 73 - 75 and our bills are still about what they were last year. I know I need to recauk the windows and check all my seals around the doors and maybe that will help some.

Anyways Keep it "cool", no pun intended

:wiggle:

3. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Well, that's good to hear. I already had fresh seals and such, so what I did was a lot of little piddly stuff: sockets and lightswitches, attic hatch, HVAC boots yada yada.... it made a nice difference in feel in the house at the time. Glad to see it reflected on my bill as well. Low expansion foam is your friend.

4. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Hmmmm. Our bedroom seems to stay warmer than the rest of the house. It is on the second floor and the thermostat is in the hallway next to a two story foyer. My theory is that the cool air from the foyer is keeping the thermostat reading lower than the temps in the rooms. What kinds of things could one do to a bedroom to keep it cooler? Are there actually strategies or "mods" one can do on a home to keep it cooler? The house is only two years old and has dual ac units. One for upstairs and one for down...

5. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

Maybe a new sub group in this wrxatl forums called. Home MOds. lol :wiggle:
    I hear ya bout the bedroom deal. My home office is scorching due to the afternoon sun on it. I just keep the fan going full tilt and deal with it

6. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

Can you not move the thermostat into the bedroom?

7. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Sure if I want to route wires, patch wall holes and create new ones. ;) so far, it hasn't been that bad an issue. But if there were some simple things I could do like sealing the windows better or something, then I would be all over it...

8. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

A lot of new construction has very poor insulation. I'd be happy to take a look at it for you and suggest some things you can do if you want.