Up-pipe???

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by jonnyboy0150, Apr 12, 2005.

1. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

I may order an uppipe this afternoon, any suggestions?? I was considering the helix UP with the flex section or anything else in the ballpark of $200. Which pipe do you guys recommend?? Also will it need to be heat wrapped?? Im hoping ill be able to put it in because SOG charges 250 bucks labor for the install.

Also i was gonna order kartboy exhaust hangers. Has anyone had any experience with these or are they a waste of money??

Thanks for any input guys!!

2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

get a flex up pipe... i have the PDE

3. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

If you plan on doing the Thermotec wrap, I believe that one order is enough for more than one car. If you are interested I would be willing to throw in, I have been wanting to wrap my up and downpipe for awhile, just keep putting off buying the wrap.

4. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

word! do you know anywhere to get it for less than $275???

im also considering the perrin up pipe, tho it does not have the flex section.

5. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

Yeah that would be cool, i just dont want to wrap it unless its absolutely necessary. So im not sure if i will wrap mine or not.

Did you guys have a PITA putting an uppipe in? if so i may need help whenever i get it!

6. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

haven't installed my up-pipe myself but i hear its a royal pain... i know kris (weaponWRX), chang (TJRCS) and john (married04wrx)have installed theirs themselves... they might have a better idea of how hard it is

7. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

The wrap is not necessary, but will help a great deal in reducing Heat Soak. I think Porter was telling me that they wrapped someones uppipe, downpipe and headers (?). After running the car hard for a good 30 minutes or so, popped the hood and felt the hot side of the intercooler and it was cool to the touch.

8. kevingroover

kevingroover Member

do it yourself, its a pain but it is also free

9. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

its not that hard..just time consuming..do it yourself..if you need help i dont mind helping out..ask anyone on the boards..im the go 2 guy ;) jk

10. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

Awesome! thanks for the help guys! i just went and picked up a TurboXS Up pipe with the flex section for $225 including gaskets, i also picked up a bolt to plug the EGT bung.

For the EGT, when you remove it and dont reinstall it dont you have to put a 2.2K ohm resistor somewhere in the harness??? If anyone knows where it goes or has a link to it that would be awesome!

11. PapitoSTi

PapitoSTi Member

True, its not that hard. The hardest part is removing the oxygen sensor :D . I also replaced my uppipe with a Helix.

12. slug

slug Member

from what i heard the crucial up is one of the best, (not just because i have one myself) but because it comes with a thermal coating and if i remember correctly a lifetime warrenty :eek:

13. kevingroover

kevingroover Member

the egt senson is the one in the uppipe just before the turbo, it is a skinny senson and it plugs into the bottom harness on the passenger side under that little cover. go get a 2.2k 1/2 watt resistor from radio shack. you get five for about 2 dollars. I dont have a digita camera. but if you look under the cover, you will see 3 plugs. they are from top to bottom,
    1 manifold O2 sensor
    2 engine harness
    3 uppipe egt sensor

14. married05gt

married05gt starting over

I have the pde and it comes with the ceramic coating. It is a very high quality peice:bigthumb:

15. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

yup been there done that.

16. ptc075

ptc075 Member

Yeah, that thing (the one in the uppipe) was a PITA. On mine, I couldn't get the heat shielding off w/o removing the sensor, & I couldn't remove the sensor b/c the heat shield was in the way. suxxor. So, yeah, that was many fun hours with a pair of tin snips.

Of course, it would have been much easier if I had been willing to either fully remove the turbo or jack the engine two inches. But, no... I'd rather be stuborn. =P

-Laters!
    -Chris!

17. kevingroover

kevingroover Member

yeah, jack the engine up a couple of inches, and seperate the maifold from the uppipe while they are still in the engine bay really alot easier with impact wrench. also, if the mounts don't line up when you try to put the engine back down, just jack it all up on the transmission. It puts the axis/piviot point further back and the holes will then line up. I think the biggest pita is finding all of the manifold heatshield bolts betwee the manifold and the block, oh yeah there are 2 i think

18. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

Hey i put the pipe in this afternoon! i love it! the whole install took 2 and a half hours. I was able to leave the o2 sensor in and just work around the heatshield. that prolly saved me an hour by itself. but overall, the install was pretty easy.

i still have to do the 2.2 k ohm resistor mod but i dont know how. i know where the connector is and all that but not exactly sure where to solder in the resistor. Anyone know what to do with it???? i left the EGT sensor in the pipe, i wasnt sure if ill need to reconnect it to the harness to make the the mod work. Any help would be awesome fellas!!!

19. kevingroover

kevingroover Member

you don't have ot leave the sensor in the pipe, as a matter of fact, take it out and put an oil pan bolt in it, sorry, cant remeber teh size, just look for it on hte internet. also, on the third harness under the cover, that is where you put the resister in at, you dont have to sauder it, just shape the resistor like a u and plug it into the harness touching teh metal parts inside and tape it in with electrical tape.

20. kevingroover

kevingroover Member

21. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

Yeah i went to napa ahead of time and got a bolt to fill the bung.
    It was a 12mm bolt but i cant remember the pitch. Man i didnt know the mod was the easy! You just kinda plug that little guy into the connector? ill prolly do this saturday morning or something i dont really have any time right now. Thanks for that help kevin and everyone else!!

22. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

glad ur enjoying the up-pipe.... notice quicker spool?

23. kevingroover

kevingroover Member

M12x1.25
    bolt size

24. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

Yeah it spools so nicely!! Id like to heat wrap the up and down pipe just to keep underhood temps down a little bit (underhood temps seem to have increased after the up/down pipe install)

anyone know where to get heatwrap for cheap???

25. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

jason (wrxfan420) was talking about getting heat wrap earlier... i think he still might be interested

26. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Yeah, I am definitely interested. Porter had some sitting at Topspeed the other day. I am sure he can get it for us.

27. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

how much would it be?? and would it be enough for us both??? I wanna wrap my up and down pipes if i do it. cause if im gonna wrap one of them im gonna go ahead and wrap it all.

28. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

From what I understand, it should be enough for you and me, and possibly one more, not 100% sure though. Quick Search, first link I found 2" x 1/16" x 100' Original Exhaust Wrap for $77.56. I will call Porter in a few minutes when I go on break to see what Price he can get us.

29. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

I just bought a roll of Design Engineering header wrap. Its 2" wide and 50' long. it was like 40 bucks after tax. If you want i can use what i need and then give you what i have left (you dont have to give me anything for it). or if i run out i can get you a roll. i live in mooresville NC where all the nascar teams are and this is the wrap that they use on the nascars so im sure its good stuff. I bought some clamps too, 3 - 3.5" clamps and a 4.25" clamp for the bellmouth. anyway let me know whatever you wanna do ill prolly end up wrapping tomorrow, ill let you know how it goes.

does anyone know what the silicone spray is that they recommend to spray over it afterwards. Is it even worth doing it?

30. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Cool, do you have any way of testing the temperatures before and after to see how much of a difference it makes?

31. kevingroover

kevingroover Member

yaeh, disconnect the downpipe and hold a thermometer behind it!!
    ha ha.
    It's called an egt or pyrometer.

32. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

nah i dont have a way to check, but the drop in underhood temps should be immediately noticable after wrapping it and driving it for a little while. hopefully itll keep the ic quite a bit cooler as well!