Vinyl Wrap

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by LoveMyNewSoob, Jan 20, 2015.

1. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Hey everyone,
    I went ahead and tried the vinyl wrap thing over the weekend. These pictures are ihpone pics, so please excuse their quality. I think that it turned out pretty well, except for a wrinkled spot about right above my head :squint: I tried to work it out a couple of times and it just seemd to be getting worse, so i tried to work around it. Not very happy about it.... I may try and cut a square out around it and "patch" it with some leftover vinyl...who knows.

check it:

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

I really like the gloss black, good work!

3. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Has anyone had any sucess in "patching" vinyl?

4. Stetson

Stetson Member

I've done quite a bit of vinyl including graphics and full wrap. I can't see the part you are not happy with. Depending on the area, you can try hitting it with a heat gun and re-working it. If it is near an edge you can stretch it a little and then trim it. Be careful you don't mess up the gloss finish. Go light on the heat and rework it a little at a time. Be patient.

Problem with patching is there is a seam. Depending on where it is a seam might be ok. I suggest trying to rework the area with some light heat and see how it goes. Then you can always cut it out and try to patch if you are still not happy.

Overall looks great!

5. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

Nice touch man. looks great!

6. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Looks great! Where'd you pick up the vinyl from?

7. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Thanks everyone. I thought it turned out pretty good, and the wife even approved afterwards!

Here is a pic i took of the wrinkle, and the patch that i finally tried. Doesn't look the greatest, but it does not bother me as much as the wrinkle. And I have enough extra to try the patch again if I want. (Also made some "eyelids" for the headlights with some extra).

Wrinkle. Doesn't look major, but with the right lighting and the fact it is right where I look when getting into my car, it was very annoying.

[​IMG]

Patch. Just kind of cut out a square and tried to match it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  8. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

I ordered it off of Amazon. It is a 5'X6' roll of 3M Gloss Black G12 Scotchprint 1080 Series. $70. I had seen quotes for upwards of $400 for a wrapped roof, so for $70 I thought I would give it a go. If it didn't work, wouldn't be the end of the world.
    The directions I found online (from 3M) said this stuff was a dry application. If I did this again, i would try it with a little bit of water to make sliding it around easier. Once it got stuck down, it took a bit of effort to get it back off...ESPECIALLY if you had already squeegeed (sp?) it.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions.

9. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

I would say that was $70 well spent.... If my car was silver or white I would be doing this after seeing your results.

10. BLACKWGOLDWRX

BLACKWGOLDWRX Member

looks great gives the car alot of character

11. joncrawford21

joncrawford21 Member

Looks good man. I'm thinking about getting a clear bra or maybe a color change by the "raail" system.