Virus

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Greg, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Greg

Greg Active Member

I think my computer has a virus, not sure though. My background is solid black, and when I open the control panel display window, I can't select any background and I can't select any of my pictures as a background... I ran ad-aware, PCPillin, and AVAST, I also did a system restore and it said that it was not completed. I then chose a different date, and it restarted again and said that it couldn't be completed... What now?

2. You could have a software file croupt. Or even worse HD failure (doubtful...usually it just gives away all at once)

3. Greg

Greg Active Member

How do i find that out?

4. techlord

techlord Active Member

Spin the 2000/XP disk, format and reinstall the OS manually.

If you need data put the HD in another PC(usually just unplug the CDRoM in the doner PC and install there)pull off the data stick it back to original box and reinstall OS. Hope this helps

5. Greg

Greg Active Member

HEH? Its a laptop by the way, Dell

6. techlord

techlord Active Member

I can assume you need data so the only option if it will not boot is to go buy an adapter that will allow you to hook up your LT hard drive in a desktop. I bought one for under 20 bucks.

7. Greg

Greg Active Member

it starts up and runs fine, just a permantly black background andno restore...

8. techlord

techlord Active Member

back up data to external drive/thumb drive etc.. and reinstall os or use the recovery cd that came with the box. If the problem comes back after completely reloaded with correct hardware drivers(updated) and all programs and os patched then most likey a hardware issue.

9. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Right, basically, just put the XP or Resotre CD you have in the CD drive and restart the computer. Be careful though you may erase all of your data (pics, music, etc.) if you have to to a clean install rather than a repair. Windows will warn you though.

10. Greg

Greg Active Member

ok cool, now I just have to find the safe spot that I put it...