WAP Browsing?

Discussion in 'Meta' started by Alex, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I have been looking on ways to actually implement a wap version of our website. As this service will cost money, I am debating whether or not to make it for supporting members only -- thoughts?

Would be accessible by any mobile device from wap.wrxatlanta.com

Features of the WAP forum
    [​IMG] Browse enitre forum and reply to topics
    [​IMG] Centralized and customizable language system
    [​IMG] Wireless posts contain the words "Wirelessly Posted" and the user-agent/browser type of the phone/handheld that it was posted from (visible on your posts)
    [​IMG] Email Notifications
    [​IMG] Enforced posting intervals help reduce the possibility of unintentional 'double posts'
    [​IMG] User Authentication (login with your WRXAtlanta.com username and password)
    [​IMG] "Log in Once" cookie support.
    [​IMG] My Prefs: A user specific control panel that allows your users to do the following:

• Enable or disable external image support (JPEGs, GIFs, PNGs, color smilies etc..)
    • Enable or disable the truncation feature
    • Control how many topics and/or posts are displayed on a single page
    [​IMG] Specify the the name of their cellular phone, PDA, or other WAP enabled device, and it will be appended to the "Wirelessly Posted" line.
    [​IMG] The ability to read truncated posts in their entirety. A link labeled "[More]" will be displayed below posts which have been truncated.

2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

sounds good

3. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

i think the mobi site that we have now is good enough from my BB. I don't see any of the stuff above really benefiting me. So I don't think it's a great investment.

4. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

as long as i can login in with iphone i am game!

5. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

I'm with Strayen on this one...the site works fine for me usuing Windows Mobile on .mobi

6. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

seems fine on my iPhone as well...besides the not been able to sign in lately

7. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Are you going to www.wrxatlanta.com or www.wrxatlanta.com/forums -- we proved on Brett's iphone that you could not login through the main page, but you had to login via the sub-directory. The cookies on the main page are messed up it seems.

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I can view this site on my flip phone just fine. Not worth the time and investment.

9. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

after spending 22 of the past 56 hours in a car, I can safely say that a WAP site would be HIGHLY beneficial to us. As sad as it is to say, but browsing NASIOC's WAP site versus our .mobi was so much easier to view theirs...viewing wrxatlanta on the phone made me want to throw the phone out the window.

10. FACE

FACE Active Member

I must concer with Matt. I would love to see WrxAtl's mobi be like Iwsti's and Nasioc's.

:)

11. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

why would a WAP site cost more money?

12. JPM Coachworks

JPM Coachworks Registered Vendor<br/>Its delux son, delux. Supporting Member

So I will win afterall. Yay :)

13. techlord

techlord Active Member

I vote WAP and if it is free to supporting members, even better.

14. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

ghaaaaaay......fine, get more supporting members then and I think we can even splurge and get a coke machine in here. :p