Welding....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by slade1274, Dec 16, 2010.

1. slade1274

slade1274 Member

First off, pardon my ignorance as you review my babbling....

So, I've got a simple Lincoln Electric QuickWeld, Weld Pak, Handy Core... whatever the name is this year.... flux core wire feed welder for doing simple welding around the shop. It has served me well and will continue to do what I "need"; but I just want to learn how to do things "right" and/or "better".

So, to those gurus out there; where should I start to learn the basics? I'm sure good results come from practice; but I need to get started first.

Oh, and it would be ideal to be able to do aluminum in the future; but I understand that is another animal all together.... just putting that out there as one may give guidance to forgo MIG straight into TIG. Most of my plans are for thinner gage/more delicate hobby work vs. fixing broken structural steel...

2. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

First you would need a TIG for beautiful welds iirc.

Hopefully Nicad will chime in some.....he has done some welding.

Don't listen to slowwrx....he only gets 85% done....LOL.

3. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

if you're wanting to do thin materials and aluminum, TIG/GTAW is the only real way to do it

just try and pick up a machine for as cheap as possible. miller makes a hobby series TIG machine now that would do the trick. scour craigslist for a used machine

4. slade1274

slade1274 Member

5. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

ok, for a used machine you want to look for a few things:

first off is size. you've got two options: transformer and inverted based

transformers are big iron core..well transformers. they've big, heavy but they have very smooth arcs. the other option is an inverted machine. if it's smaller than a dorm fridge, chances are it will be an inverter machine.

inverter machine would be the way to go - they generally work on a wider range of AC input voltages. miller makes a few that even work on 120VAC, single phase. I had one and it worked great. you can fine tune the arc pretty well, set the pre and post flow times, arc slope, penetration (clean versus penetration for AC), etc. very versatile machines

check out what the machine is rated for. duty cycle wise and input voltages. you may need to run 240VAC to use a machine, but this isn't a big deal - hopefully you can DIY this.

if you're buying a machine, try and buy one with an argon bottle and regulator (you use 100% argon almost always for TIG) with it. new bottles can be pricey, but fills are cheap.

other accessories to look for are a nice torch. here, you have two options: water and air cooled. air cooled torches use the purge gas to cool the torch - however, they run hotter and you'll need more downtown cause your hand gets hot. the other option is a water cooled torch. very nice to have, but water coolers get expensive unless you are willing to DIY

along with the torch is the torch size - they are rated for a specific current (up to X amount). think about what you're going to weld and go from there. torches that can accept 1/16" and 3/32" tungsten is usually the way to go. flex heads and other things are pretty nice too.

next up is a way to control the current output. 3 options here: torch control, pedal control, and no control. with no pedal or torch control, you set the current and strike the arc..and that's all you get. not recommended.

I prefer pedal control. basically, it works like a gas pedal. push it down, more current, etc. torch control works the same, except it's a know/roller on the actual torch

you're going to need all these to get started, along with some other basic shit: ground clamps, ceramic cups, and other cheap and basic consumables (filler rod, etc)

6. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Did you teach yourself nicad or did you actually take a class to learn?

7. b reel

b reel Active Member

Miller has the best machines bar none, best warranty and customer service as well. They have some nice inverter based starter setups that are AC/DC so AL is possible. Nicad has one of the best of the old tech for the money with the option of pulse if he can find the module for it. You can rent a Miller from some of the weld supply stores to try out before you buy. Miller also has a weld center in L'ville where you can try any of their products and even take a class if you want. Lincoln is one step above junk in my opinion but they do have the best wire, rod and stick on the market.

8. b reel

b reel Active Member

The home use Millers are setup for fingertip control but have the option for foot control. Nice thing about that is the control cable is a cat5 so if you cut it on a Sunday you can go to Walmart to get a new cable. You forgot about the tungstens Nicad. With the new setups Miller likes to go with ceriated? which you can use with all metals.

9. slade1274

slade1274 Member

wonder if that's the shop I get my beer gas for the keg.... They had a shit-ton of welding machines and gear when I was there.

10. b reel

b reel Active Member

It's Miller's Dist center, not open to public. Miller sales Rep would have to get you in. You can contact any of the Weld supply shops to get a demo of the machines.

11. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I taught myself. and given that, I'm not expert welder but I'm getting better. I haven't done any beads in a while, but hopefully that will change after the new year (+30 days)

yeah breel, it's ceriated tungsten. orange band. your boys up in the marietta store didn't have any (as usual...)

12. b reel

b reel Active Member

doesn't surprise me in the least, old timers resist change probably didn't even have any pure under 1/8" diameter either. Don't bother buying any of their Prostar crap for TIG, absolute shit. Stick with Weldcraft if you can. While you're at it get a jar of chemsharp, it puts a nice point on the tungsten which is also key to a stable arc. Shit will last forever too.