Welding

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bixs, Dec 9, 2011.

1. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Alright, as I continue my completely random jumps from idea to idea for my STI replacement. One option is my 914 and I would be buying a welder.

Red, Blue, and beige(?) aside. What sort of specs should I be looking for. The breaker box is in the garage so I can easily have a higher volt outlet wired in, but do I really need it? I was looking at something along the lines of
    http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/handler140/

I plan on welding some chassis reinforcements in, as well as the cradle for the engine and transmission, exhaust, miscellaneous mounting brackets for everything from the radiator/fuel cell/to the intercooler etc. I will be practicing/maybe take a course, but I don't think I'll be welding the actual roll cage myself.

Practically, will a welder like that be enough? It does up to a 1/4". I realize that "buy more than you need" is always a good thing with tools, but what do I need to weld more than a 1/4" and from what I've read the worst mistake most new welders make is over welding.

Go!

2. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

3. b reel

b reel Active Member

I have a 50 amp breaker for my setup, never had it pop yet. 220VAC is nice but not necessary if welding nothing more than 7ga steel and doing the proper stitch weld. There is a knock off chicom company that is making a setup that uses Miller consumables, I'd steer towards that if anything. In the end you get what you pay for, Miller's will always sell used for a good price when/if it's time to part ways

4. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011