What a crappy end to 2009.

Discussion in 'General Community' started by Kokopelli, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

On top of all the other things that have happend this week I end the year with a ticket for street racing.

If you know me then you know I don't street race. Never have never will. Because of some asshole ricer in a 240 I now get the pleasure of going to court to defend myself.

It went down like this. I was at a light when said asshole pulls up next to me. He decides he wants to race so he revs his engine. I in turn rev mine and let it bounce off the launch control a couple of times. I then sit there and patiently wait for the light to turn green so I can watch him take off like an idiot. The light turns green and off he goes. I casually pull away from the light. Right then I see the lights and I start to laugh to myself that he is going to get what he deserves. I stop laughing when the second cop pulls in behind me a little further down the road. I never even got to the speed limit much less racing speed.

Looks like it is time to lawyer up.

2. techlord

techlord Active Member

Holy Shit, that is bs! They didn't take you to the clink did they?

3. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

No time in the clink yet :(

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

hot damn that sucks!
    Good luck with the outcome on that

5. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

That sucks, but you shouldn't have revving your engine at the idiot, as it does show intent to race.

6. b reel

b reel Active Member

I'm curious if there was video from the cars and from the intersection. Sometimes "Big Brother" can be your friend. Don't ask any of us to be a character witness at your trial though, the thought of a court house parking lot full of WRX's and STI's would sink your case.

7. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I know that was a bad move on my part but I still didn't race. I think there is another ticket I should have gotten for revving that isn't as bad as one for stree racing.

8. I hope you get a good outcome!! That sucks! Did the first cop pull the 240 over?

9. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Chances are that the in car video from the police officer is not running 24/7. I know in my old cruiser back when I was a cop, it only activated if I turned it on or any time I turned the lights and sirens on. But it was not actively recording when I was just riding around.

10. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

Yeah, I agree with that. I used to have a lot of people rev me when I had my evo, but since I DD a Honda accord now, not so much.

11. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Dang man that sucks

12. FACE

FACE Active Member

What a crock of shit...best of luck mike.

13. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Is there really a traffic law for revving? :confused:

14. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Yep Lawyer up thats the kind of ticket that gets really ugly

15. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Damn Mike, sorry to hear this.

At least tell us it happened in a school zone and that the 240 spooled at 5mph and slid into a tree first... :)

16. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Man this sucks. Even though you didn't race, the cops arguement is thta you 'instigated'. That's just as bad as we all know your car is loud...or it was last time I heard it.

Good luck man. What else all happened this week? Unless you are referring to Marley passing?

17. Jake

Jake Active Member

noise violation/disturbing the peace/etc

sucks mike

18. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

And instigating a race.

19. 4sevens

4sevens Member

Wow sorry to hear about that. Keep us updated.

I always keep my chasecam running even when DD. You never know when it may come in handy.

20. ZenMotors

ZenMotors Member

Fight that ticket! What bs sorry man!

21. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I think the ticket would be "exhibition of speed". Its the same ticket you would get for spinning the tires.

That is what I am gunning for with a lawyer.

I also have a slight feeling that I was setup. Even tough my car is loud it was cold as hell out and I doubt the police could here my car unless they had their windows down. Where they came out was down the road a little in front of me. I seriously doubt they heard me rev. Also I never even got into boost so the external wastegate never opened. This all leads me to believe that maybe the asshole in the 240 was a cop.

I'll be sure to tell my lawyer about these details.

22. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Wow... That really is ridiculous. If it really was a setup, that's a crock of crap.
    Hopefully the judge deems it OKAY and you're good to go.

23. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

how can you be charged for racing when you weren't actually racing?

attempted racing, first degree?

the justice system is horribly broken

24. Jake

Jake Active Member

does greg have another 240?

25. Tireboi

Tireboi Member

i got the same charge, actually that and 3 more hefty tickets it comes down to what is shown on video at least from my experience the video that was taken from the cop was unable to prove i was racing a lawyer will be needed they can obtain the video.

26. Jake

Jake Active Member

you don't NEED a lawyer to do that. you can do anything a lawyer can do. the problem is, no one knows HOW. so you hire someone who does.

27. Wait did the officer look like Tom Cruise and make you put on some funny headgear??

28. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Yeah right... I think you just lost. It's just a bugeye... hahaha...

Was it Roswell? Those cops are asshats. Sorry about the trouble. I think the judge will toss it out.

29. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Dang it!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  30. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

What code section did he put down on the ticket? Georgia 40-x-x?

31. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

40-6-186

32. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

40-6-186 Racing on highways or streets

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:

(1) "Drag race" means the operation of two or more vehicles from a point side by side at accelerated speeds in a competitive attempt to outdistance each other or the operation of one or more vehicles over a common selected course from the same point to the same point for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of such vehicle or vehicles within a certain distance or time limit.

(2) "Racing" means the use of one or more vehicles in an attempt to outgain, outdistance, or prevent another vehicle from passing, to arrive at a given destination ahead of another vehicle or vehicles, or to test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers over long-distance driving routes.

(b) No person shall drive any vehicle on a highway in this state in any race, speed competition or contest, drag race or acceleration contest, test of physical endurance, exhibition of speed or acceleration, or for the purpose of making a speed record, and no person shall in any manner participate in any such race, competition of speed, contest of speed, or test or exhibition of speed.

(c) Any person convicted of violating subsection (b) of this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

Think you have a pretty good case personally. I don't see that from your story you did any of the above. Remember HE has to prove beyond a reasonably doubt that you are guilty.

33. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Maybe you can have it dropped to "too fast for conditions" :)

34. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

in kangaroo/traffic/tax court? :rofl:

35. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

It's a pretty serious offense he is looking at. I would hope that the judge would take that into consideration. I mean revving one's engine does not in any way = drag racing.

36. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I agree with Sargent. Mike has a solid case. He would be the first person on here to man up and admit if he was wrong. The cops saw the 240 hauling and then saw the Subie. Apparently they 'know' what a WRX is capable of and assumed he was racing since the 240 was.

This sucks and it's a serious offense that could result in suspension of DL for quite a while. And insurance will NAIL ya for that.

I really hope you lawyer up good on this Kokopelli. What sucks is that you are gonna have to pay the lawyer too.

37. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I agree with the above. Get a good lawyer, and I would suspect that you should get it resolved. It will cost you a good bit of $ probably, but better than having that on your record.

38. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

call tory...he is the lawyer Milo used..
    I have used him in the past along with most of my coworkers..

PM if you want the number..

39. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Does this mean that every Harley or eighteen wheeler which is revving at a stop sign, or red light, is committing intent to incite a drag race? Does this charge even exist???

You may also want to mention that you recently installed a new motor that has been stalling on you intermittently and that if you felt the idle dying you might have to rev it to keep it running, ummm...much like a Harley. The driver next to you thought you wanted to race. He started instigating the race by revving his motor and when the light turned green he took off. Since you had no intention of racing you did not race him but accelerated your car normally. You did this on your own accord with no knowledge the police were present thus you made a consciences effort on your part not to participate in such an event with out any external forces effecting your decision (like the knowledge of the presence of the police). You were pulled over while you were under or reaching the speed limit. The other car was already a few hundred yards ahead of you, where the other unit was having to chase him down.

As a bonus you could mention that if they are really, really interested in protecting the public from dangerous drivers, possibly uninsured motorists who may be impaired and in this country illegally they can hang out on the corner of Old Dogwood Rd and Old Holcomb Bridge Rd where they may actually be doing their civic duty: protecting and serving the public not protecting and serving their tax starved, bring in as much revenue through traffic, failing ass municipality, wasting the time and money of honest and upright tax paying citizens like yourself.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  40. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

Good Call, Mike.
    WRXCoupe Mike.

Too many Mikes.

41. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I see what WRXCoupe is saying, but do you think that the 240 would have taken off like an idiot if you didn't rev your motor? If the 240 driver had gotten into an accident as a result of taking off like an idiot, would you feel like you had no involvement? I would not argue in court on the semantics as to why you reved your engine.

Regardless, I hope you are able to get a good lawyer and not have this stain your record.

This isn't saying that I didn't jokingly rev someone when I had my Evo, but this does make me thing twice about ever jokingly reving someone again.

42. Jake

Jake Active Member

you know, i'm gonna have to disagree with you here. while i understand there may be a law against 'inciting a riot' or 'instigating a conflict' or 'instigating a race' that is completely unfounded and totally retarded (lol, not calling you a retarded monkey). I mean if me and a group of strangers is standing on the edge of a bridge and i pretend like im gonna jump (jokingly) and then they all (or some of them) jump and kill themselves, am i gonna feel guilty? NO that idiot in the 240 (actually started it) made his own decision, i fail to see how mike is in anyway responsible for his actions, even if he DID pull into the intersection killing a family of 4 in a minivan. Sure, i'd feel bad for the family, but I would feel NO remorse because it was his fault NOT mine.

that's the problem with America, no one is willing to stand up and take responsibility for their own actions. from idiots in 240's (not generalizing) to 'our' government to anyone who uses scapegoats.

43. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

The fact of the matter is he didn't take off and try to race the 240, did not take off at all, but accelerated at a normal pace. That does not fit the legal definition of the charge that he was cited with. I am a former cop....this is just a bullshit ticket, period. Probably some rook that didn't pay attention in traffic law class.

44. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

Yeah, I am not arguing that it legitimate. It is just a crappy place to be in, and makes me think twice about ever reving my car at someone. I hope he is able to get it resolved.

45. Yeah,the revving your engine at a light/or stop sign would pretty much ticket every Harley Rider in Georgia ..

46. b reel

b reel Active Member

Wow BrianGT, I made the assumption that you are an idiot, with that post you proved me wrong.

You are just a Fucking idiot, with your off time maybe you should petition the DNC for a policy writing job with your Fucked up logic. You would fit right in.

47. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

Thanks! I appreciate your compliments... ;)

I am in no way arguing that he should have gotten a ticket, but just trying to look at it from an outside perspective. If a cop saw 2 cars at a red light reving their engines in unison, and then they both take off, one flooring it, and one going slow, it still might appear like a street race. Having a car that exemplifies a car that would possibly be street racing doesn't help. I felt like I was profiled often when I drove my bright blue evo as a daily driver.

48. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm arguing that the charge Mike got is a bs charge. He in no way was racing as we all know that 450 hp beast would've clearly been racing then. The ticket should have been a noise ordinance ticket or similar (really should be no ticket period).....not some stupid street racing ticket. I'm sure Mike would much rather have a nuisance ticket vs the one that he got.

This just sucks......I've been guilty of doing what Mike did myself.....makes me think twice about doing it now.

49. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Mike I talked to a friend that us a cop. Depending.g on your driving record the most jail that you could do is a few days. Also a good idea to do a defensive driving class. She said judges like to see that. And finally get a lawyer.

50. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

BS he shouldn't do any jail at all.....that's the point.