What are the best places to sell a car fast?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AlexMoffitt, Apr 13, 2015.

1. AlexMoffitt

AlexMoffitt Member

Hey everyone, I've been trying to sell my wife's old Acura for a little bit now but haven't gotten too many bites on CL. What's the best places to throw a car if you want to sell it fast?

So far it's CL and Ebay classifieds - I thought they were good but I haven't even had anyone feign interest in this car, which is odd because it's super clean.

2. techlord

techlord Active Member

Auto Trader? Been a while since I've listed in there but never had a car not sell.

If the price is low enough it will sell anywhere.

3. AlexMoffitt

AlexMoffitt Member

Yeah that's probably next on my list.

4. liltoua

liltoua Member

CarMax will buy just about anything lol, but be prepared to get little to nothing for it :)

5. AlexMoffitt

AlexMoffitt Member

Indeed. I'm hoping to get at least close to what it's worth. We'll see though, I'm keeping them as a last resort.

6. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

what are the specs of it? A friend of mine just totaled her car and needs a new to her..

7. AlexMoffitt

AlexMoffitt Member

Silver 04 Acura TL

165k miles, new transmission, Looks brand new. Black leather interior.

has an ipod hookup so there's that.

8. Matt

what else.. price, etc...

9. orndog

orndog Member

Yep, post up.

10. AlexMoffitt

AlexMoffitt Member

$7,000 is what I am hoping to get. But that's an OBO type deal.

I'm not sure what they came with standard, but it has heated leather seats, heated mirrors. The seats and mirrors adjust based off the key that opens the car. But we only have one of the keys.

It's got VTEC bro.

11. Matt

I'm informing my friend right now.

12. orndog

orndog Member

Looking at KBB, that car with default options would go private party in excellent condition for $6161.

13. AlexMoffitt

AlexMoffitt Member

:wtc:

Well that's why there haven't been any bites. I probably should have just dropped it off at carmax and been done with it. The tranny alone was like $3k.

14. Matt

she's not keen on the mileage, but I'm telling her she can meet you guys at a shop of her choice (at your cost) and get a good inspection on the car.

15. orndog

orndog Member

I understand the pain, but much like mods, repairs don't typically add to the value.
    An '04 Honda can still be a very reliable vehicle assuming other maintenance was kept up with. Punch in the exact options and shoot for closer to 'very good' condition pricing - but be aware that people almost always sell below kbb if they want to move a car.

16. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

Don't use KBB to determine the price of your car or someone else's. All KBB is an advertising website.

17. orndog

orndog Member

While true, everybody looking to purchase looks and then expects to pay less than listed.
    It's like saying don't look at MSRP because only chumps pay sticker.

18. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

NADA/yellow book is what matters not KBB. Banks finance based on NADA.

19. nuyorican718

nuyorican718 Member

Want it sold $3000-$4500 is what you're going to get bites at. May not be what you want but it is what it is. I love the TL personally but your body style is notorious for bleeped up trannies, I swap them in and out in an hour thirty five minutes with dropping the subframe. Thats how many I've swapped because of the problem it had. Engine of course is perfect long as the t-belt doesnt pop. Replacing the tranny is a waste of $$$. Rebuilding is always the best option on this model. I was a platinum level certified tech at Conyers Honda for 6 years. Good luck with your sale.

Try checking out backpage.

I'll ask a few people I know but I'm pretty sure I know their budget is not more than $4500.

Edit: friend sold his 02 Type-S beginning of the year for $3300 with 110,000 with all maintenance done by me minus the first 2 free oil changes and 1 free tire rotation which was done by the dealer. He was second owner buying it at 15k miles.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  20. AlexMoffitt

AlexMoffitt Member

Yes, I noticed that about the trannies. In our case, it was actually a faulty wiring harness that caused the tranny to overheat. We also replaced that, so it should be good.

I don't know how I could go below $5k, that seems entirely too low. Honestly I want it sold, but $5,500 is the lowest I would go on this thing.

I feel like I'm on that property brothers show where they ask them what they think their house is worth and they overshoot the value by a few hundred thousand.

21. orndog

orndog Member

The numbers line up pretty well, and everybody knows the KBB name. Call it NADA then - $6125 for trade-in, $8225 retail. Private party doesn't get retail prices.

22. AlexMoffitt

AlexMoffitt Member

I should take it to carmax and see what I can get. If they offer near $6k that would be quite a nice setup.

23. Matt

they'll offer you 2k or less

24. AlexMoffitt

AlexMoffitt Member

25. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

^^

If you wait long enough...the rain stops.

26. nuyorican718

nuyorican718 Member

That was a problem on them as well with the wiring harness.

It's always understandable how you want a certain price on your car.

my .02 is keep it as a backup. Its reliable, cheap to fix (minus the tranny, tps/ throttle body, and knock sensor), easy to fix if your doing it yourself), and good on gas for a V6.

27. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

It's why I kept my Legacy, as a daily.

I refused to sell it for 100 bucks below my asking price, even when it was offered. I was one stubborn seller.

28. TURBOH4

TURBOH4 Member

I would recommend the same as above; if it's paid off (obviously it is), it's worth more to you than $5,500. Money goes away quick and is disposable - a car that you know runs well is invaluable. You never know, it could come in handy one day and you'll wish you'd kept it and wonder where the $5,500 went.