What cell phone company to go with?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by lostinthewoods, Aug 23, 2005.

1. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

I am on the fritz with sprint. The customer service sucks and I am about to switch to another provider.

Just curious who is using what and how coverage is?

feedback appreciated.

2. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I use Cingular; not the cheapest but excellent coverage. We're on a pay as you go plan.

3. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

nextel sucks, unless u know a lot of people on the 2way, so far verizon has been really good

4. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Well, as a Cingular employee, I would highly suggest Verizon. Cingular is not bad, but their customer service sucks ass. The good things about Cingular are the Mobile to Mobile with 51 Million other people being free, 7PM N&W which pretty much all providers offer now, so no big deal and the largest network. What sucks about Cingular is Customer Service and paying for incoming and outgoing SMS.

Verizon on the other hand has a slightly smaller network, not by much though, I think around 37 Million subscribers for Mobile to Mobile, and I am sure they have the 7 PM N&W. Plus side for them, Mobile to Mobile SMS free, thats a biggie, at least for me, and a fully developed high speed wireless internet network. I haven't heard too many complaints about their customer service either.

If you have any questions about Cingular, let me know. Also Porters ex roommate Matt 2pt5rs works for Verizon so if you have questions about them, he may be able to help.

5. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i have cingular and have been very happy... most of my friends have cingular to most calls are free... also roll over is da shiznite

6. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I've been with T-mobile for 5 years and have been pretty happy. Their plans are good and customer service is excellent. My only problem is reception in some areas isn't the best(ie my apartment where my cingular friends have reception..grrr....).

7. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

cingular, so you can call me late at night for free ;)

8. lostinthewoods

Oh gooodie... keep that on the DL alex ;)

9. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

I second that-Nextel sucks!!!...i'm glad i don't have to pay the bill (company phone) :naughty:

10. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

I have t mobile and i have to agree about the reception..it sucks in a lot of places..

11. scuby drew

scuby drew techos ftws!!EEEE

t mobile has got great customer service, but like others have stated, their coverage sucks in a lot of areas

12. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

Thats awesome

13. xjenjenx

xjenjenx Member

i have tmobile and the plans are nice. i had cingular for 4 years or so and they have pretty good reception but the plans are kind of pricey... i hear verizon is the best but not the cheapest...

14. lostinthewoods

hmm i may go to verizon... dont like there phones much thou. Call me picky :)

15. xjenjenx

xjenjenx Member

i thought cingular had a crappy choice of cell phones. i had like three different nokias cuz those were the only decent ones there. heh.

16. lostinthewoods

i think t mobile has the best selection of cell phones LOL.. decisions.

17. xjenjenx

xjenjenx Member

haha. yea. tmobile does have the best selection. just go for tmobile. i havent had a problem with them

18. lostinthewoods

hmmm women and phones.. Just kidding :)

My wife could care less bout the phone's looks. As long as it works. :)
    I guess I should look at plans

19. RADON

RADON Member

My verizon contract just ended yesterday. The reception was spotty at best and their phones suck. It's my experience having had sprint, verizon, and nextel that all their service departments are hit or miss.

Mini rant... I'm really tired of seeing all the cool phones that are launched in Europe and Asia while we get mediocre phones with 2 year contracts and no incentive to stay with a provider past the contract. Verizon offered me a measly $100 credit on a new phone off full price which came out to be $200+ for one of the newer phones. There is hope though as the new sonyericcson w800i will be launched 4th quarter for Cingular.

20. lostinthewoods

Thats is my exact issue. I have been with sprint for over 2 years. but b/c I moved and changed numbers I had to start new service there for my old phone doesnt qualify for the trade in deal. Cheaper for me to break my contract and sign on with someone else.

21. verizon verizon verizon. I had t-mobile and nextel and neither would get reception at my house or business. verison has reception at both, and due to their using a different type of signal (I didn't really understand the jargon the guy was taling about), the signal strength goes much further than other service providers. I can get usable signal way out in the country in mid georgia at my in-laws house, when I've never been able to before. The county refuses to put up a cell phone tower... whatever you do get, use amazon to get it, cause they give the most money back offers, very often you can get paid to get the phone....

22. lostinthewoods

Thanks for the heads up star ;)

23. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

well i did some research a while a go and found verizons plans to be about the same as cingular w/ the exception of rollover... i stayed with cingular. the main things that keep me from switching to verizon was this - Rollover and the majority of the people i talk to are with cingular. plus i have not had any complaints with their reception.

-drums

24. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

verizon is supposed to have the best service but i dunno, its definatly expensive though. I have cingular because its cheap and all my friends have it which = free talk time. I had nextel and t-mobile they both suck nuts. Plus i hate the stupid church noise and how rude people are talking about it in restraunts and what not. sorry its a pet peeve haha....anywayz i would say cingular or verizon are your best bets.

25. dlowman

dlowman Member

I went with verizon cause two of the techs there are in the wrx crowd :)

26. RADON

RADON Member

With Verizon, my phone would be in analog roam when I was in my office on the 5th floor window facing South at CDC Clifton campus. All US carriers suck, some more than others, at tower coverage mostly because they either don't have an incentive or they are hampered by zoning laws, etc.