what is a good video card these days?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Goose013, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Goose013

Goose013 Member

I have a hp computer with a P4 3.04G processor. I just installed Half Life 2 and it doesn't handle it too well. What is a mid grade G-force or ATI card that will be a nice upgrade without costing too much. Thanks

2. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

How much do you want to spend, I would go for a midrang radeon xt800. I currently have one and love it shouldnt be more than 160 on www.pricewatch.com

3. Goose013

Goose013 Member

I'll check it out, thanks

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Could check out geforce 6800 gt as well.

5. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

how much ram and in what configuration

6. blink

blink Member

forget all those.. video cards are insanely overpriced.. Nvidia 6600 GT, its sub 200 bucks, actually you can probably get it for around 150. PCI-E all the way. I have that card, and run HL2, BF2, Quake 4, FEAR, etc.. with no problems. 128 megs on board, ddr3. Like Alex said, 6800gt, well its the younger sister to that and i think the best for the buck card on the market. Know about 4-5 people with it, also if your looking for a budget card, and want proof on this 6600, here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/05/squeezing_value_out_of_lower_end_cards/

7. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

you might check out the higher end stuff at zipzoomfly.com or newegg since they usually have good prices. You can usually catch the last gen stuff with significant discounts. maximumpc or computer gaming monthly should have listings on their sites for the newest and last gen cards too, or at the very least reviews.

:)

8. blink

blink Member

oh yeah dont fall for the SLi or Crossfire setups, if you dont know what those are.. good.

9. CROSSeyed

CROSSeyed Member

I have not heard of a 3.04, but if its a 3.06, it's probably an AGP mobo, so PCI-ex is prolly out, and you can't really put "without costing too much" and SLI in the same sentence, so I don't think we'll have to worry about him goofing and getting an SLI setup (additionally I think SLI is PCI only).

Here's a link to AGP card reviews. You can check the charts, check pricewatch, and get an idea of how fa$$t you want to be.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/05/vga_charts_vii/index.html

In the event you do in fact have a PCI-ex system you can look here.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/02/vga_charts_viii/index.html

Personally right now I think Nvidia is a bit ahead of ATI in the graphics race, and their drivers are more stable.

Good luck and happy HL2ing.

10. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I'd go with the one Chuck Norris uses.

11. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

www.newegg.com has some good prices. The card that was bulit for the game is the Radeon 9800 pro, which is what i have.

12. j69raw

j69raw Member

Nvidia 256mb 6600GT, will be your best bet! For gaming on a budget!
    But, stay away from the brand "Chaintech" they are crap!

I am currently running two 256mb 6600GT on my gaming rig!

13. Alex

Just to throw this out, I have a new 256mb 7800GTX going into my new pc. This of course out performs 2x 256mb 6800gt's :eek:

14. Goose013

Goose013 Member

I scanned my system last night on crucial.com and then went to the hp website. I apparently don't have an agp board. its the asus "goldfish" with the intel 910gl express chipset that supports pci express; so it looks like I'll go that route. I'll prob have to upgrade my memory too because it's only 256 x 2, they could have at least put a 512 in there. thanks for all the advice, I'ts been a while since I've kept up with all this stuff. I had to quit playing on the pc because I was a Counterstrike junky for a couple of years.

15. j69raw

j69raw Member

Your right! Thats why, I am about to upgrade to a dual 7800GTX setup!

But for the money, you can't beat the 6600GT!

16. Alex

:asshole:

17. j69raw

j69raw Member

LOL, Hey Alex I'm not trying to out do you, I just HATE LAG and like to play my games at the highest settings! I think i'll wait a few months before I upgrade to the dual 7800GTX, They are still going for around $450 right! How much and where did you buy yours?

18. Alex

Yeah, yeah. Its fine man, I was just giving ya a hard time. Details on the card tomorrow.