what short shifter guys

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by tuan, Nov 8, 2006.

1. tuan

tuan Member

which one do you guys use and like the most. i was thinking about going with the cobb short shifter but then people tell me to go with the kartboy. i know if you install the cobb you have to shave some metal piece but i was wondering do you have to do any cutting shaving witht eh kartboy also. thanks ahead

2. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Ming (goixiz) makes one that is pretty nice and not expensive. :)

3. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

I'm getting the SPT put into my WRX for free! :) I negotiated the part + labor and had it thrown in for free when I bought the car.

4. tuan

tuan Member

not to be rude but this helps me in no way guy. but congrates on teh free short throw.

5. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

I ran a Kartboy in my bugeye and I liked it. A lot of guys are also running kartboy SS. They are reasonably priced and they have very fast shipping.

I have not heard of needing to grind anything for a SS. I think it was "crash#2" on the forum was having a vibration from the linkage and had to bend it slightly. You might want to send him a PM!

Edit: Here's the link to that thread... http://www.wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9700

6. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

+1 on the kartboy, it's what I have and use.
    I do hear that Ming's (goixiz) is nice though.

7. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

anyone use the kartboy or cobb with the optional arm-rest (05' if that makes any difference)? it's pretty tall.

Not trying to thread-jack, just looking for similar info.

8. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

the kartboy makes the knob sit about 1" lower than stock.

9. tuan

tuan Member

well if you watch the HSPN install of the cobb SS they shaved this thing down

10. Kartboy gets my vote. Less expensive & easier to install than the SPT shift linkage. I had KB on both of my WRX's and will soon (hopefully) get one for the STi....... never had any issues at all.......

......not even this ^^^

11. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

My problem with SS is that they lower the height in addition to shortening the throw. I dont really think that's necessary, and in addition with the arm rest its annoying. The cobb is one of the few that has height adjustability and will allow you to retain that stock height.

12. RydeBye

RydeBye Member

phhhtttt just get out the saw and chop the stocker lol

13. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Hmm. I like a slightly lower knob....

I have the Kartboy and I can tell you that sometimes, on certain cars, it can bump the mounting (trim?) area when you put it in 1st gear. It's not a problem. In fact some people like a little clunk when they shift. It's just different IMO.

Overall I like teh Kartboy shifter and recommend it because it takes 10 to 20 minutes to install.

14. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

That little klunk will eventually hurt your shift
    Its metal on metal and if its drastic its pushing the shiftlever down on a teflon piece thats held together by a soft bushing and a snap ring

15. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

if you do that you will b buying a short shifter for sure

16. tuan

tuan Member

do we have any local dealers that sell the kartboy SS? Also are we going to have another install day anytime soon?

17. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

18. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

I've got the KB SS, and the KB Knuckleball shift knob. It's a great combo imo.

19. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I have the Kartboy, with all the bushings etc...

Its ok, I think I will probally try a few of them before I stick with one, its too short and requires too much effort to get from the steering wheel to the shifter. The stock shifter is in a better location.

Matt

20. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

good observation (this is what i am allowed to answer)

21. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

It's not drastic at all. It's like holding a pencil about 8 inches off a table and then dropping it vertically on the eraser. It's a tiny bump where there used to be nothing.

22. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I've got an STI short shifter and it keeps the knob at stock height but the throws forwards and backwards along the pattern are much shorter than every other stock wrx I've driven.

It feels like 1-4 are a shorter throw and 5th is about the same from what I can remember.

23. tuan

tuan Member

install day anytime soon? haha