What would you buy in the $40-$50k price range

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by integroid, Jan 29, 2013.

1. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Lets say you have a budget of $40-$50K for a new or used car. What would you buy and why?

2. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Vague question... But I'll bite. As much Vette as I could get. Because its my dream car. Would probably be a tossup between a used Z06 and a new regular Vette.

3. Jake

Jake Active Member

Agree with Vette or Lotus. But for practicality? Yeah, I'm not practical...

4. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

Cts-v, m3

5. slade1274

slade1274 Member

996 turbo... might have to push for $55k though

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  6. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

CTS-V black diamond wagon

Why? Fast, it's pimp, luxury of a Cadillac, and it's a freaking wagon!

7. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

8. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ For 50k? I'd venture to say you still aren't coming close to a used GT-R for that...

9. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

Sure you can. You just have to look for them.

10. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

11. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

hmm..

The new m3.

12. longfury

longfury Active Member

I like how this man thinks. I'd go with this too.

13. integroid

Sorry, not paying $53k for a car that has 83K miles on it!

CTS-V wagon is hard to find used and cant find one for under $50k

14. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

You can't find a GT-R that you would want to own for 50's. You might be lucky and find one in the low 60's but that will jump up in February.

I need 4 doors so I would be in a CTS-V or a SRT Grand Cherokee.

15. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

16. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Thats a weird price point. I'm not sure why but there just isn't much I wan't right there.

I like the CTS-V and the Pontiac G8 (different price point)

But I don't know if I like them enough to pull the trigger.

I assume you want to carry the kids so the corvette is out.

17. techlord

techlord Active Member

i'm ready for some high performace luxury. maybe cedes or bimmer in the mid 30's and another 5-10 grand ensuring she is fit to handle the next 5yrs maint. free

18. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

You could probably get a fairly new c63 AMG for that amount.

19. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

E55 is much cheaper than 50k; that's closer to later model 63 territory, and the 2009+ is the only one to get due to the REAL sequential transmission

20. orndog

orndog Member

Are we talking 50k and all future maintenance paid? Because I sure couldn't justify upkeep on some of these suggestions.
    Newer Lincoln and a Russian mail order bride.

21. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

New Vette when it comes out.

22. slowwrx

I really enjoyed the E63 when I drove one. Justins M5 is also a great car.

23. sti-mike

sti-mike Member

^^^^^this. The M5 is superb. I drove a 2010 recently and it surprised me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

If you can afford the up keep, 911 Turbo, although in what I consider the least desirable body style (first generation water cooled). You can get some low mileage ones in that price range, though. The last air-cooled one still brings nearly 100,000. Jeez.

If I was going to get a garage queen, I've always liked the late eighties, early nineties model 911 Turbos. I'm sure one of those would nickel and dime you to death, although it may get you killed before that becomes an issue. (Of older 911s, didn't Jeremy Clarkson once say each one is sitting in its garage, quietly plotting to kill its owner?)

I obviously have a thing for Porsches.

Other than that, the nicest used ZO6 Vette you can find.

25. b reel

b reel Active Member

surprised no one mentioned Cayman S and as for plotting to kill... you buy a 911 knowing that.

26. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Keep in mind that insurance on some of these cars will be close to the car payment.

I checked what mine would be on a GTR and gave up the dream.

27. sti-mike

sti-mike Member

OP didn't say anything about insurance cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28. integroid

Alright, it has to have a backseat and reasonable insurance. I still work for a living and have a family to feed.

Ball is right....the price point is weird and there really isnt much in there that I REALLY want. lets go $30k-$50k.

SO far this is what I have in mind in no particular order.
    1. CTS-V (Any form)
    2. Newest M3 I can find
    3. A6 3.0T
    4. S4 3.0T
    5. Q7 TDI
    6. Fusion Hybrid

Yes I know...part of me wants to be a responsible adult and buy something that is more fuel efficient. Another part of me just wants a nice luxury sports sedan. I gave up the dream of having a Vette or GT-R long ago. I just can't really afford the car payment and the insurance...Plus there is no way I could carry all of my bikes and gear to races. I am a little hesitant on the German cars because I know that the maintenance will be really high unless I buy a CPO Audi that has 100K warranty on it. Everything keeps pointing back at the CTS-V.

29. b reel

b reel Active Member

buy a Forte 5-door and a go-cart or better yet MitJet

30. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

cts-v is my vote...wagon even better

31. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

SRT-8 charger is pretty nice.

32. slowwrx

Are you going to mod it?

If so I like the first Gen CTS-V.

Cheap, Reliable, LS engine, Reasonably nice interior.

Maintenance is cheap, its built from the standard GM parts bin.

You can build a 500hp 500tq to the wheels engine for less than $5000. It will run on pump gas and its simple.

33. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

^^^
    I like that car A LOT, but according to the Internets, if you launch it and/or put much power to the ground, you'll be replacing rear differentials with the same frequency as tires.

You can buy those cars for very reasonable money, though, leaving a nice pile of cash for modifications and diffs.

OR.... Integroid... You could get ANOTHER Legacy, a sedan, and do other- stuff- to it. It just so happens I'm SELLING one! What a coincidence!

34. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Well I was in this price range and I chose Option 4 from your list. 2013 S4 with 7-spd STronic. Damn thing shifts crazy fast! It's the Premium Plus model with B&O audio and other goodies. You could also find a great CPO S5 for that price range.

The S4 is a sleeper, nobody ever gives it a second look; which makes me sad. :p

You should go test drive one or meet me for a ride.

35. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Look harder. Not Black Diamonds but still CTS-V. There are a TON of coupes/sedans out there.

Automatic
    http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2011-Cadillac-CTS-V-Wagon-t40995#listing=44636847

Automatic
    http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2011-Cadillac-CTS-V-Wagon-t40995#listing=49094411

Automatic
    http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2011-Cadillac-CTS-V-Wagon-t40995#listing=49963703

Manual
    http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2011-Cadillac-CTS-V-Wagon-t40995#listing=47627291

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  36. slowwrx

I just can't bring myself to buy a Audi, I've thought about buying a older A4 several times but I just can't do it.

I just can't deal with the parts cost for BMW, Audi, or Merc.

Its just to much

37. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

The ONLY reason I got rid of the M3. Upkeep was too much. $100 just for oil and changing it myself.....meh.

38. Al.SpecB

Al.SpecB Member

Ill jump in on this. Me being a Ford fan. Ill have to get a Boss 302 Mustang Leguna Seca Editon. Comes out at about 50k.

39. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Doesn't fit specifications. There is no way a family of 4 can comfortably ride in a Ford Mustang.

40. Al.SpecB

Al.SpecB Member

If I had 50k I'd get the mustang. Hey, I dont have kids. I was basing my post off the first one. Also,I don't remember anything about comfortable. Just that it has to have a back seat. LOL.

In that case I change my answer to the 2013 Lincoln MKZ hybrid. I am not sure about the affordable insurance part but I like it.

41. integroid

Why are there so many of that Burgundy CTS-V? gawd! I did find a manual sedan about 20 miles from me that is $40k.....hummm....

42. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

G8 GXP, 400hp 6spd manual with brembo's 2009 ~33k. Its the value leader of the group.

I spent some time in the new A6's and was very impressed, they are supposed to be ~100mph trap cars and i believe it. But not a real performance car.

The A4 chassis is small, i wouldnt do it haveing hobbies AND a family/kids.

Q7...meh. TDI though, more interesting.

If you are talking old man fast stuff,
    -Taurus SHO(~380 hp)
    -Used E55 AMG (~450hp)
    -New Genesis sedan R spec(~430hp)

43. integroid

For $35k I would spend a little more and just get a CTS-V

44. DaveH

DaveH Member

A friend of mine got the A6 3.0T recently. Very impressive. He claims Audi have fixed the terminal understeer issues so inherent in the brand since, well, forever. My impressions as a passenger: handles like a sports sedan should, rides well, amazing interior, DSG tranny is very effective, MMI system that puts everyone else's to shame, powerful/fast! (I didn't expect that part), looks great and lastly is a 'Q-car', i.e. it's a sports car that is relatively stealth.

Another friend picked up a 2009 E63. You might want to check one out. I believe he paid somewhere around $43k. Car is close to $90k new. Most of the comments for the A6 apply. Although, not sure what the E63 'box was, but I couldn't detect a slushbox upstream of the driveshaft. Plus, MB have never had the most modern of interior designs, not to mention MMIs. But that's what 7" tablets are for now.

What about reliability though? Personally, I would never buy another VW/Audi without some kind of extensive warranty. Of course, said warranty would probably expire before I want to get rid of the car. I keep cars for a while. An Audi with DSG and a relatively stressed engine....I would worry about that. Friend #2's MB might hold up better. MB had dreadful quality issues in just about every model in the early 2000s. Consumer Reports seem to indicate a general improvement occurring in the late 2000s.

45. integroid

If I bought a VAG car it would be a CPO so I can get the 6 year/100K mile warranty. The only thing that keeps sending me back to an Audi is my relationship with APR.

Never been a big fan of the Merc interior and their electronics.

FU, maybe I will just get a Prius and start hugging trees

46. slowwrx

I forgot that you are friends with those guys.

What about a Golf R?

47. Jake

Jake Active Member

everyone i've ever known to own an Audi has had problems you shouldn't have with a $30-50k car, PERIOD. Friend just bought an A4 S-line (2009, i think) with like 20k miles, within weeks he had an oil leak they traced to valve-cover gasket, it was fixed under warranty but now the thing sounds like a diesel VW bug. I didn't even think about CTS-V, 4-door Corvette FTW

48. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Not to be "Debbie Downer" but the CTS-V gets shit for gas mileage. Estimated 19 is best on HWY? You never see the top end of what the car mfg says it gets. I'm just saying because I've gone from a car that got 17mpg to a 13mpg and up to 19mpg and it's nice not going to the pump twice a week.
    CTS-V in my book is in the same class as a Vette, a 50+ guy's toy going through midlife crisis. *puts on flame suit now*

49. Jake

Jake Active Member

i want one and im 28 :(

50. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Yeah, except it blows the doors off anything in its price range. Dont hate on the car just bc of its typical buyer market.

But yeah, atleast the vette gets almost 30mpg on the highway, the cts-v does suck some damn fuel.