What would you buy thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Trancetto, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

All,

In theory, if you had 20k cash to spend on a car, what would you buy and why?

In theory, i would get a used 2008 bmw 335, bmw m5 or a 2007 sti+.

Why?

For one, all three can deliver 300+hp with minimum mods. List goes on....

So... Who is willing to play?

2. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

I'd shop around and find an Sti needing work for 12ish, drop 4-6 into the motor and turbo and have 400hp for under 20k.

3. b reel

b reel Active Member

LS powered Miata, should be able to build a nice one

4. Justin V

Justin V Member

I've been eyeing 2011+ mustangs. That coyote engine looks pretty impressive. I've been considering a newer one with the track pack. I'd love to do some events, but don't know if the subaru could handle it. I think that mustang would do just fine reliability wise and competitively.

or I'd rock a 2006 4g63 evo.

This subaru will be my last. German cars haven't impressed me much.

5. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

No more dubaru, bummer.

Similar opinion on germans, but really cant ignore the comfort of one.

6. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

I'm agreeing with the 335, m5, sti and evo so far. I would add a c5 ZO6, m3, 4runner, and any turbo diesel truck in that price range.

7. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

The coyote stangs are really really...really hard to beat. Reliable, 25 mpg highway, fast, endless options, cheap and easy to mod, strong as shit. My coyote stang made ~420whp with an intake, cat delete, and tune. About ~1k in mods. Worse case scenario you have a 2-3 year old mustang instead of a 6+ year old bmw.

Embrace your redneck.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1025513-2011-Kona-blue-5-0-M6-brembo-22-750

Could probably pay ~18-19k for this thing. Disgusting value. Oh and the rear seats fold flat so you can actually fit some shit if you need to. Im thinking about selling my legacy and just DD'ing my coyote.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  8. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

E39 BMW with a LS or Coyote swap.

9. KGraska

KGraska Member

E30 Coupe boosted or LS swapped, E46 M3, E39 M5, GD STI, RS Coupe with Full STI Swap, 93-98 Supra

10. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

E46, if you can find one with lowish miles.

11. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

For me, it has to be a four door.

I just cant stand 2 door cars.

m5

Best bang for the buck. But with that big of a motor, it's a ticking bomb.

Subaru Sti

I just love the way they look and perform. Downside? Maybe their interior lacks.

BMW 335

They do not hold their value at all. Other than that, it would be an easy decision.

12. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

The only thing with the 335 is the HPFP. Has BMW come up with a permanent fix for that?

13. KGraska

KGraska Member

HPFP was fixed in 2011 with the final revision.

The carbon buildup is still a major issue with that engine. You'll need the heads walnut blasted sometime around 100k with the N54 to keep the performance. They go through injectors and plugs too. No LSD is a deal killer....start saving for the Quaife!

14. suomi82

suomi82 Member

I would find the guy who I sold my Sierra RS Cosworth 11 years ago, I still miss that thing, I would buy it back and import it here. If that would fail I would get myself a E34 BMW M5.

15. KGraska

KGraska Member

Almost forgot to add the 335d. 425 ft/lb from the factory....over 125 more than the E92 M3

16. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I would love to own a diesel, but are out of the price range.

17. b reel

b reel Active Member

I see that name and think of the glory days of Camel GT

[​IMG]

18. KGraska

KGraska Member

I have one in stock right now for 19,990. It's got 80k miles; but technically under budget :hsugh:

19. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

^^ more info?

20. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

21. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Only if it was a manual.

22. KGraska

KGraska Member

Don't think they offered the diesel in a manual, just did a nationwide search and there were ZERO listed. If it was I would have probably bought it already haha :naughty:

23. Justin V

Justin V Member

Just told the wife to trade her TDI golf for that Bimmer, she said its not a pretty color.

She's having knee problems and the golf is a stick

24. suomi82

suomi82 Member

Yup, the Cossie was my second car, I ended up having 3 of them lol. I was a big (euro)Ford guy before I fell for the Japs. That XR4Ti was pretty much a stock 2 door Sierra with a 2.3 OHC turbo engine, in europe we had the Cosworth engines and a different body kit and wing, same Pinto block but completely different engine, forged internals and a big old school turbo. The factory team raced the Sierra RS500 Cosworth which was a beast until Nissan introduced the Skyline GT-R. History lesson over, I love those things. :rofl:

25. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I think I have it narrowed down to a 2008 BMW 550 6 speed manual.

360hp/360trq at crank. With dinan stage 2 package, you can get the same numbers to the wheels.

26. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

Why not the 535? So much better power potential and probably cheaper.

27. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

It comes down to the availability of what I'm looking for.

Plus the 550 comes with better exterior, the m package.

I have looked in a 500 mile radius for both, 535 and 550, black interior with a 6 speed manual. I have only found one 550 that match my criteria.

28. JL889

JL889 Pandastic!

E39 M5, I think you'll find the 550i slow. I bought a 540 M sport first, and couldn't do it so I added a M5 to get what I really wanted.