What's your goto kitchen knife? Chef's versus Santoku

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Alex, Jul 1, 2010.

?

Knife Showdown, What's your preference?

1. Chef 's Knife (Rocking Style)

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Santoku Knife (Chopping Style)

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Other (Specify)

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Well, which is it and why? I am debating dropping some coin on a high quality Santoku (a la the "JDM Chef Knife") and thought I would throw this up for debate. The real difference between these two is your cutting style. Some of us rock the knife while others use a linear chop. I know there are several foodies out here, but not sure how many actual cook :alex:

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

this thread needs moar images of the knives.

:)

3. Matt@Topspeed

Matt@Topspeed Member

Seven or eight inch Chefs knife is all I use.

4. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

really it all depends on what feels right in your hand. personally i like the Santoku because it is more balanced and ergonomic to my chopping style. which to me equates to less hand cramps when prepping large meals. also i can get razor thin cuts that a chiefs knife would mangle. the main thing when buying a knife is to go out and get some hands on. if you buy an expensive knife from the interweb you may end up with something really unpleasant to hold or work with. i use the Messermeister 7-in. Meridian Elite Santoku Knife

[​IMG]

5. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

I use the Chef's knife because I don't have a Santoku (yet). Knife of choice is the 8" Shun with Ken Onion handles.

[​IMG]

6. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

I just bought a 7" santoku I like it a lot....
    [​IMG]

7. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

I have to say chef ftw.

8. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

I will ask my wife..its her job to cook..the only cooking I do is on the grill..

9. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Always gone with the Chef's knife

Why?
    I've never had a chef's knife let me down. Never really had a need for anything else.
    cutting meat/vegetables, chopping herbs, dicing onions.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  10. jabbadeeznuts

jabbadeeznuts New Member

More control with the chef's knife, IMO.

11. Matt

I'm watching you...

:squint:

12. jabbadeeznuts

jabbadeeznuts New Member

:eek:hnoes:

13. Matt@Topspeed

Matt@Topspeed Member

For most things in life I think specialty tools are great, in the kitchen however I think that a Chefs knife should be all you need. Work on your skills with a chefs knife and you will have no need for others.

I generally use 3 knives and thats it. Chefs knife, flexible boning knife, and serrated knife.

14. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

chef's, and pretty much what matt said. about to drop some coin on a nicer set and some cookware

are the used restaurant supply houses good places to get second hand cookware? fry pans, sauciers, etc?

15. Alex

Either that or peep craigslist for restaurants going out of business. I've seen some amazing deals in there recently: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/bfs/. However if you're looking for a good fry pan, look no further than a 12" Lodge cast iron. Available at your local hardware store.

Have you considered ceramic blades for your knives? I would have never given it the time of day except Joe bought one for his fiance -- http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-Kyoto...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1279654364&sr=8-1. This thing is pretty badass :)

To add some additional uses for the chef knife: A quality one will have a thicker upper portion that will allow you to bruise vegetables and such very well. This would be a technique Matt would be familiar with if I had to guess because it is used frequently to prep lemongrass ready for dishes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2010
  16. Matt@Topspeed

Matt@Topspeed Member

You say bruise I say smash....its all really the same thing. I do love lemongrass.

17. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

yeah I have a nice cast iron pan, but a fry pan is a little different. it's harder to saute in the cast iron due to the weight, and the edges aren't rounded so you can't flip things

18. Alex

Just need a nice lube'd surface to flip :)

19. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

not when it gets hung in the corner

20. J_P

I agree I have to have good sauté pans in addition to a cast iron skillet. My arms aren't big enough to flip anything in a cast iron skillet.

I've been trying to find some good used restaurant supply stores. Nicad have you found any?

21. Alex

There's one off Elsworth Industrial downtown IIRC. I'm not sure what you're flipping but I'll do eggs or pancakes in the cast iron and can flip without an issue :dunno

22. J_P

I'll have to check that place out.

Most of my flipping involves 1 type of pasta or another. Everything could use a good flip, but the pasta with sauce is the heaviest thing I need to toss. More of a toss then a flip.

Are you doing a 2 handed flip or something? Cast iron is still a little heavy.

23. Alex

1 or 2 handed, I guess it all depends what's in it. I really love cooking in the cast irons but I do use a proper frying pan from time to time. The worst stuff to flip in my experience isn't something like pasta, more like a frittata or the like. Ultimately, just find something that has a nice thick bottom with the edge style you are looking for and you should be set.

Regarding that place on Ellsworth, I remember it being near Restaurant Depot, but on the other side of the street. Not 100% though. I think Atlanta Fixture off 85N near Shallowford Rd exit has used stuff.

24. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

It is across the street, I see it every day. It's supposed to be a "discount" shop for new and used goodies..it's only been open about 2-3 months.

25. Alex

I knew it!

26. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I saw a place down near where little jew works. off howell mill in that industrial park I think... there's a mexican restaurant down there also? it's been a while

27. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Yep, that would be ellsworth industrial.

The mexican restaurant is Bone Garden...pretty good place. Alex and I used to know someone who worked there, but I dont think he is still there now

28. Matt

bolded the lulz....I know how you knew said person :rofl:

29. Alex

Well in our defense, I met him before I knew he played WoW :eek: He's the brother of Heather's tatoo artist.

Justin, that's the area I am referring to. It is across the street from where Matt is.

30. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

Yup across the street and just down the road from where cohen works with me.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

31. J_P

Thanks. I'm going to try and get down there in the next week. I'll post up I find there.

32. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

[​IMG]
    Global Nakiri...

[​IMG]
    Global Spear

I cook at different friend's/relative's houses for 15-20 people about once a month or so (as well as at home almost daily)

Shapton Ceramic stones (4K-8K) and a leather strop keep them mirror polished and shaving sharp :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010