which brake pads and rotors are you using?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by flat_4ATL, Jan 7, 2015.

1. flat_4ATL

flat_4ATL Member

well as the title states, im trying to buy new rotors and brake pads, but trying to get an idea of which people have and are you happy?

-the car is DD and never tracked/autox. but does see some spirited driving on the weekend and some curvies every now and then :)

-definitely will need front rotors and pads (04sti) but debate about go ahead and do all 4 rotors and pads.

last set up was idk pads,and DBA drilled and slotted, I might go with DBA again but just slotted this time. not drilled.

Thanks,

2. flat_4ATL

flat_4ATL Member

got the brake pads narrowed down to Project Mu NS 400 or the HAWK hps... now trying to figure out best rotor. ive read on nasioc trolls, that some prefer the blank oem rotor disk.

3. b reel

b reel Active Member

NAPA premium, DBA 4000's

4. nygiant

nygiant Member

autozone blank rotors. 30 bucks a rotor then use one of the fantastic autozone coupons

5. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

I've had the dab 4000's, they worked great and the slots give you cool points :p

But in all seriousness I think they hold up well.
    As for pads I run hp+, but the subie isn't my daily, though that compound seems to do well for dd also. I briefly had bps, those were good for dd but I did have them fade on long mountain cruises.

6. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

I've been happy with the DBA 4000s as well. A good brembo blank would work well if you can find them for a decent price.

I switched to HPS and it was definitely a downgrade from the factory brembo pad. I actually gave them away.

I'm running HP+ now. Yes they dust and will squeal if you're braking like you don't mean it, but they will stop you while you are playing around in the curves.

That being said on the more extended spirited runs I think I might be overheating the HP+. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to try the Ferodo DS2500 or Carbotechs X8 or X10s next.

7. liltoua

liltoua Member

What were wrong with the HPS J_P? I was really never spoiled with good brake pads so I don't know whats good or bad LOL. I'm running DBA 4000s with HPS and autocross on them and everything seems okay to me, but I guess I don't have enough experience to say whats good or bad lol.

8. flat_4ATL

flat_4ATL Member

thanks, yeah. I went ahead and purchased the project mu NS 400, with the DBA 4000 slotted,, since I was happy with the DBA 4000 XS I had last time.

J_P I didn't find too many reviews on the carbotechs. and I never heard of the DS2500.. but there is always next time. plus I got free shipping on all the parts and they were all in stock :) (SR48's,DBA4000, and mu NS400) yep yep happy camper toady.

9. J_P

I've used HPS on previous cars and they were just fine. I was making a direct comparison to the factory brembo pads that came with the STi. I drove the same roads with the same general braking points and the initial bite and stopping distance was noticeably worse. Running 180 from 129 to 60 the HPS would start to fade and I really had to change how early I was braking in the corners compared to the factory pad.

10. J_P

Good choices.

The ferodo "appears" to be a little more track oriented than the HP+ and the carbotechs have options from street pads to full time track abuse. They are both mentioned quite a bit along with the usual suspects when talking brakes on here and other forums like iwsti and the nasty one.