Which tuner?

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by KingofSiam, Aug 30, 2005.

1. KingofSiam

KingofSiam Member

I wouldn't be getting tuned for a while, but I am planning to get an ECUtek tune while in Atlanta, eventually.

I've heard good things about TopSpeed, and also about Scott at the Subaru dealer...

But I'm still confused about what the affiliation between Scott and the dealer, I'm guessing that he's a guest and uses their dyno to tune.

Any recomendations would be great. Oh, would SoG professionally install exhaust components as well?

Thanks alot,

King

2. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Hi, not commenting on the tuner choice (both are great from what I hear), but regarding installing exhaust components: just come to an install day and people will be happy to show you how and help out. Can't beat the price, and as a bonus you get to enjoy Alex's chili, good company, and a mostly drunk admin who shall remain nameless.

3. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

I had my sti tuned at SOG, but honestly i havent heard one bad thing about topspeed. the choice is a coin toss, and a win either way. Doug and Scott are both great tuners, the only difference is their method. Scott is a road tuner, while Doug is a dyno tuner.

Just like moose said get your parts and come to an install day, trust me there is all kind of knowledge to be tap there.

4. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

I am a full time employee of the dealership... as everybody here knows I have less nothing bad I could say about Topspeed. We use them for some installs, and if I wasn't a tuner, Doug would be the only guy I would use. Of course I think you should get tuned by me ;)

Seriously though, the only advantage that I can say I have over Topspeed is that it's much easier for us to warranty stuff when its all been done here at the dealership. That said, we do our best to warranty anything that's appropriate wherever it has been tuned or built.

SS

5. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Both are amazing tuners and great friends of the club.

Scott's roadtuning may work out better since the 4EATs are kinda hard to dyno (unless you want a 2nd gear dyno, 3rd is 1:1). We're planning a dyno day soon at Topspeed if you'd like to talk to the guys then, and SOG is also just right up the road.

6. dlowman

dlowman Member

cant go wrong with either shop.

7. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

^^^^^ :werd: ^^^^^

8. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

he's talkin bout me :beer:

ive always had my car tuned by scott and ive been very happy with his work... id say about half the people on this board with EM have been tuned by SOG and the other half by topspeed... ive ridden in some of the cars doug has tuned and they run strong too...

both tuners are really good guys and great at what they do... im sure this thread has not helped make ur decision on which one to go with but at least u now know that u cant go wrong either way... its a win win situation :bigthumb:

9. dlowman

dlowman Member

Ok I will help with the decision. Go to the one that is closest to you lol.

10. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

The other Admin speaking here (the not so drunk one)...There isnt much more to say other than coming out to one of our install days is an excellent way to meet some of the great people that make up this community, as well as try Alex's "Install Day" Chilli. You'll have a great time, I promise :) If you dont, I will install your exhaust stuff myself.

I feel like enough has been said about Doug and Scott, they both do excellent work and you cannot go wrong with either shop. Just pick the one closest to you.

11. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

i think we need to kidnapp both of 'em and create a franken-scoug to finally stop this question from coming up. who's with me? i've got a big dining table and japanese cutlery.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
  12. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

who wants to photoshop a doug+scott 2 headed mutant tuning machine?

13. monk

[waving hand neurotically] oooh-ohhh pick me! (need photos, send em on)

14. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

heres one of scott.. a little small though
    [​IMG]

15. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

LOL @ this thread!!! Guys thanks for all the support, as said above you will not go wrong with eighter myself or Scott. In my mind it all comes down to who is closer to you. If I were to have my subaru tuned and like Scott said if, I wasn't a tuner he would be the guy I would use. I have seen the amount of time and work he puts into his tunes and he doesn't let the customer leave untill he feels the car is perfect.. as do I.

It was mentioned that we have two different tuning styles which is true only to a certain level.... I do do most of my tuning on my dyno... main reason is because its really easy to strap a car on and off it and I made the large investment to buy a dyno for a reason. I would bet if Scott's dyno were easier to use he would use it more. I also not only dyno tune a car but once I am done with all my full throttle pulls on the dyno, I also road tune the car. This way I can make sure all my changes on the dyno are correct in real world driving situations too. Also by tuning the car on the dyno there is less risk envolved from not having to do some many full throttle blasts down the street. For everone that has been to my shop there is no really safe road or feeder to the highway that I can really use to pull 3rd or 4th gear.

Now onto the photo chop.. lol

16. Doug@DBW Motorsports

17. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

c'mon doug... post up a pic of u :D

18. KingofSiam

KingofSiam Member

Thanks for all the help and advice, guys. It'll be a tough decision coming down the road, so I'll just have to pick one when the cars all ready. :)

19. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

haha I lauged out loud at that. It's life size Scott!!!

20. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

you mean like your huge goblet of water? :rofl:

21. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

:rofl: too funny!!

22. monk

aye-aye we need a pict doug! not to worry i do this for a living ;)

23. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

got more of scott :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

they have change there website, i saw a couple pics there, milo u are signed up go fishing there

25. monk

that big one of scott is perfect! now where's doug....

26. Tray@topspeed

Tray@topspeed Member

[​IMG]

Muhahahaha! here ya go just took the pic

Enjoy!

27. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

uh oh its on now!!! lol i was lookin all over the topspeed dight and forum lookin for pics but couldnt find any.

28. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

monk... work ur magic :bigthumb:

when u get done, please post pics on a new thread... which just might get stuck ;)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2005
  29. Doug@DBW Motorsports

ITs been over a day and no pic... What Gives???

30. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

i was going to try being a graphic designer and all but thought i'd wait....seeing as though i have an appointment next week @ Topspeed :keke:

31. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

wait for the weekend when people have some free time ;)

expect something like this
    [​IMG]
    holding a laptop, wideband and wearing an ECUTEK shirt

Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  32. monk

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005