Window Tint Citation

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by shiftynick, Jul 15, 2008.

1. shiftynick

shiftynick Member

Son of a biscuit eater.. I got hit this morning for speeding this morning right in front of Global Imports BMW on Interstate North Pkwy. 54 in a 35... what is 19 over going for these days in Cobb county?

I don't really care about that, but it must be quota time because he decided to get me for my tint too.. :mad: The reader said 14%. Has anybody been hit with this in the last couple years? The law says max fine of $1,000 and 12 months imprisonment. (40-8-73.1) Even though beeotch wrote 40-8-76.1 on my ticket, which is a seat belt violation... (wonder if I can get off on a technicality). I was about to get this tint taken off too, because it was so crappily done... arrgrghhh!!!!

2. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

And yes you can get off with a technicality.

3. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

were you clocked by radar or laser?

4. shiftynick

shiftynick Member

Well technically it says this:

OFFENSE (Other than above) "Improper window tint"

In violation of Code Section "40-8-76.1"

REMARKS: "14% driver's window #22515"

Everything in quotes it what he wrote. Only the code section is wrong..

5. shiftynick

shiftynick Member

Laser

6. socrates42

socrates42 Member

you can still get out of it b/c of that

7. Jake

Jake Active Member

but if you were going to remove you tint regardless because of the shitty job, why not just remove it and go down to the courthouse the next day. 99.9% of the time if you go show a court recorder/secretary(whatever they are) they will just drop the charge all together thats what i did. I got hit for it in Jackson, GA and went to the courthouse with my car stripped (i did it myself for free) and told the lady, "I was told by the officer that if I came up here and showed someone I had stripped my tint that the fine would be dropped???" and she said "yeah, ok" and proceeded to follow me out to the car and check. then that was it.

8. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Well I don't speed if I have to drive in front of Global Import BMW because I've seen lots of cops there. I work very close and drive past there on my way to the Cobb Galleria area for food or whatever. I'll have to be extra careful.

9. shiftynick

shiftynick Member

how did you go about removing your tint? i was thinking of trying the ammonia on a garbage bag method. i also have a heat gun...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  10. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I don't think a heat gun will be any help. Go to Advanced Auto or Pep Boys, and they sell a tint removal spray for cheap. You don't need it 100%, but it definitely helps. Just that and a razor blade.

Removing tint is a PITA. If you do it slow, you can get it in a couple of large pieces. If you go to fast, you will be removing little slivers of the tint, and it will take forever.

11. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

worse comes to worst, get some blades and start scraping

12. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Do NOT use blades on the back glass unless you want your rear defrost to stop working.

13. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Yes, good point. I wonder how you remove tint from the back then?

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Best way is take plain old Windex and spray down the back glass HEAVILY. Lay a towel over your back seat and deck to keep from water spotting. Then get a black trash bag and lay it on the window and let that thing bake in the sun for 3-4 hrs. Then SLOWLY peel the tint off. After that some Goof off will get the residue off but most of it should come up with the tint if you can get it hot inside.

Oh and spray and put the trash bag on the inside of the glass obviously.

15. Jake

Jake Active Member

not sure if it was due to the quality of the install or just the type of film (i believe it was ceramic 20% llumar), but i just got a razor blade in the corner and EVERY window including the back glass came off in one easy tear. I was very careful on the back glass as well. then after it was gone went back with some windex and cleaned up any residue left behind.

16. Doubtful, but it's all up to the judge..... but if the tint was coming off anyway may as well take advantage of it :)

17. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

wow, that sucks dude...nobody drives 35 down that stretch, we put in when we shoot the hooch right there past BMW and people fly down that road.

On a side note, if you want to redo your tint at somepoint in the future, get a hold of deanjones on this forum...he did my tint job at legal specs and it looks fantastic, price was pretty good, too

18. ballistic

ballistic Member

the cop was probably cutting you a break, i think a seat belt violation is one of the cheapest out there. my dad got the same kind of ticket and the cop said that was the cheapest ticket they could give and the money was donated to some foundation

19. quazar

quazar Member

Were you coming from the Cumberland Mall side just south of I-285 and they were sitting under the bridge shooting?

They love hiding out there and hittin' people as they come down the hill.

Be careful.. they also like to shoot on Circle 75 Pkwy and Windy Ridge Pkwy as well.

20. wrx_kid

wrx_kid Member

i got a speeding and tint ticket juss a while back

21. wrx_kid

wrx_kid Member

i think he cut u a break he aint cut me a break tho