Winshield replacement?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Demo24, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Demo24

Demo24 Member

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, if not mods please move it around. :)

Basically the other day I looked over and realized my window was cracked. It's gotten a bit worse today, and of course to top it off a rock added another large nick in it while driving. Was so loud I jumped in my seat. :eek3:

Anyway, in talks with insurance they will cover a repair, but not a replacement as the deductible is too high. So when I get a chance I'm going to call up the place they recommended to come inspect and repair if it's possible. However if it's not then I get to pay for it, so I'm wondering about what it will cost to replace? I'm sure it varies place to place, just curious what other people have had to pay.

2. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I did this a few years back, and it was on a Chrysler... but it was around $350 total, and thats with the guy coming to you and doing it at your location. Can't see it being much more than $350-400... As far as a fix, it sounds like its too far gone from your description...

3. ZenMotors

ZenMotors Member

Look on Craigslist. You can get it done around $200.00

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I've used Safelite twice for 2 different cars and they both came to about $250 installed. Fair price for what they do. I might be calling them here soon to have the windscreen in my car replaced.

edit: just got an instant quote from them on their site and I was quoted $330. Requoted for a more 'popular' car (05 accord 4door) and was quoted $205. Damnit for having a 'unique' car

http://www.safelite.com/

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  5. DaveH

DaveH Member

Did it last year. Used Binswanger. They came out. ~$250, IIRC.

Make sure that whoever you use installs a new gasket. When you get price quotes, make sure the gasket is included in the quoted price.

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would claim something small (<$500) on insurance. Unless you want increased premiums.

6. Demo24

Demo24 Member

Sounds about what I was expecting. Reason I talked to insurance is because in some cases they will cover it with no cost to you. Sadly my insurance does not do this.

7. RotorNutFD3S

RotorNutFD3S New Member

Quoted from our local Miata forum:

"A company (private individual) named Glass King (Kenneth) put a new windshield with new weatherstripping in my '96 for $145 tax and all. What a difference a new windshield makes! He's a pretty nice gent that took good care my car while replacing the windshield at my house. If anyone needs a windshield Kenneth can be reached at 770-827-7702."

Sounds like he has good prices.

8. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

that varies from state to state and georgia is not one of those states

9. revel

revel Member

south carolina replaces for free due to all the big rigs rolling thru constantly. sadly tho they wont replace if a south carolina tagged car happens to get nicked in georgia..........prolly wouldnt do it anyway since the car resides in georgia as well. oh well. still need to get me some new glass.

10. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

When I called for my car in the fall I was getting prices between $200 and $250. Make sure to ask for cash price, and not insurance price. It will change by about $100. I still haven't replaced mine, but it's next on my list. I needed brakes, then AC pulley crapped out and took the hermonic balancer with it, and then I had some timing belt issues. Stuff just keeps coming up so my 6" crack now spreads across the windsheild. I think for repair, they use a dollar bill as a size test, or was it an inch? Anyway, it just keeps it from getting worse, and if it is in your line of sight, just replace the windshield.

11. Demo24

Demo24 Member

Looks like I get to replace it. Got a quote of 247 with them coming to me, molding, etc. Not too bad of a price I think. I might call that other guy above and see what he has.

12. Demo24

Demo24 Member

So someone screwed up and ordered me the wrong model or year of windshield. I don't think the sedan and wagon ones are different, but maybe they are. Either way I'm temporarily using a window that's about .5 inches too short. Of course they are replacing it with the correct one on their dime, but man it's annoying. So lesson learned, next time make sure they get it right when you call them!:squint:

13. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

Who did you wind up going with, and how much?

14. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

I'm not sure why you would want a winsheild anyway... Win is a good thing.

That being said I got my Windsheild replace for $180, they drop the price if you have several cars done at one time. Good luck.

15. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

Group buyyyyyy!

16. Demo24

Demo24 Member

Company called Glass America. Nice guys and they do a good job..provided they bring the correct one. Anyway, they came back today and put the right one in. Fits great!