work regime

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mad Mallard, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

somewhat miffed.

Works admins seemed to have cooked up a block for all flash.

Can't get too mad, cuz its not my computer, but meh. I still want to complain.

2. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

how do you block flash? it's a client side plugin. unless they just uninstalled it from IE and you don't have admin to reinstall

in that case, use firefox. you can manually extract the files and plop them in the firefox users directory. worked for me at my jerb

3. Mad Mallard

i'm running FF now. From my portableapps USB drive. doesnt matter if I use the local IE, either.

all local flash has stopped at all terminals, it seems. So yes, apparently it can be truncated from admin's level.

4. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

hrmm.. not seeing it. it's just data on port 80 like anything else. weird

5. Mad Mallard

probably has to do with one of the 'policy' programs running on my machine here that sucks up all the computing power of my single core p4 for the sake of some unknown I.T. virtue...

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Well is it blocked or is it a lack of processing power? Lol...

7. Mad Mallard

no its blocked. I can load youtube.com for example, but no player loads. Same for streetfire or any news sites, or shopping sites that use a flash banner.

Youtube is the annoyance to me, tho... Someone at work pointed out that our IT may have done this to prevent people from killing the server trying to watch Jackson's memorial...

8. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

does it say you need to install flash player...or just nothing comes up where the player does?

9. Mad Mallard

the latter... in any browser.

10. GregT

GregT Member

our firewall guys blocked flash, they soon found out that employees needed it for certain applications.