WRXatlanta Challenge Presented by WRXatlanta.com and The Atlanta Region of the SCCA

Discussion in 'Auto-X Solo I/II, Drag, Track, Rally' started by miloman, Mar 15, 2006.

?

Should we enforce the use of WRXatlanta AutoX numbers for eligibility?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

WRXatlanta Challenge Presented by WRXatlanta.com and The Atlanta Region of the SCCA

This season the Atlanta Region of the Sports Car Club Of America will offer members of the WRXatlanta.com community an opportunity to compete against each other in autocross events. Those who are interested in competing must be active members in the WRXatlanta.com community. Eligibility will be determined by the Administrators of WRXatlanta.com. Drivers will run in their appropriate SCCA classes and will be scored against each other based on the RTP (Racers Theoretical Performance) index. Only recognized SCCA National level classes (SS-HS, ASP-FSP, XP-GP, AM-FM, F125, SM, SM2, STS and STX), Street Touring Ultra and Street Touring 2 entrants are eligible. "WRXatl" must appear in the car model field when registering for the event itself to be recognized for the challenge.

Drivers will receive awards for winning the WRXatlanta Challenge at individual events when there are 5 or more drivers competing. A 9-6-4-3-2-1 points scoring method will be used to determine the overall challenge champion based on each driver's best 6 events.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  2. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

pretty cool stuff man

3. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

PM either Alex or myself if you are interested in participating

4. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I'm in

5. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Oooooh yeah, we want this to be the best season yet for everyone :banana:

6. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

This sounds kinda fun. Guess I better bone up and start gettin out to a few Autox's

7. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

what a great idea! good luck to everyone who enters!

8. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Thats a really good idea!

9. wrxguy

wrxguy Member

im down with the opp! you know me!

10. 992.5RS

992.5RS Member

When do the auto-x's start up? I am interested in becoming a part of the ATL SCCA. There is no SCCA presence here in Montgomery.

11. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

the first one is this weekend. check out the calendar for future autox dates.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  12. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

I think that I would be up for this. I still want to get my springs and rear sway bar installed though. I should be able to get this done by April....Woot....LOL...I am sooo psyched...

Mark

13. AUTOwrXER

AUTOwrXER Member

14. AUTOwrXER

AUTOwrXER Member

Don't let the springs and sway bar stop you. In fact, it's probably good to try it once beforehand so you have a basis for comparison. Trust me; it's fun with or without mods. Driving my car bone stock on OEM tires in the rain at Birmingham was some of the most fun I've ever had autocrossing.

15. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

i would love to get into this, any requirement or retrictions that we may need to know?

16. Alex

Well, with your EM, you would be in Street Modified. Which means, you are eligible :wiggle:

17. rolling_trip

what em would you be talking about? :)

18. Meredith

Meredith Banned

You know I'm in!

You can always check my sig :).

19. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I want to be in :) can I be driving a non-subaru?

--
    Brian

20. rolling_trip

^^^No racing for you, .................................. (at least until Milo gets his car back or a STi.)

21. Alex

Yep!

22. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

how much would this g2g run me man?

23. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Count me in Milo!!!

24. Deke

Deke Active Member

I'd love to do it but I'll be spending my summer in Augusta, and doubt I'd be able to make it to many events. I'll only probably be able to do 2 or 3 the whole season :(

25. slpymnky

slpymnky Member

I really want to learn how to autox at some point. How hard is it?

26. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

rolling_trip: Requirements are the same as eligibility for SCCA autocross events. Plus either Alex or I need to approve. You have the approval.

bigb996: Cost the same as any autoX event. I believe $25 for SCCA members and $35 for non members. Last year, if you registered for SCCA membership at the event, then your registration for that day was free.

27. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Just go to events, drive your car and ride in others cars. That would be a good way to get your feet wet.

28. Meredith

Meredith Banned

I don't think anybody actually stops learning how to drive their car better :)... SCCA usually lets you run in a novice group for your first two events, the people running the autox, aka Team Solo, will organize a novice drivers meeting and a novice walkthrough to get newbies aquainted. When you are acutally driving, you can have anybody you want ride along with you (as long as they have an approved helmet on). I do believe most people in Team Solo will be happy to ride along with you to either give you pointers or just help you find your way in a see of cones.

Also twice a year SCCA holds a novice day (it's usually a saturday) where they will go in more detail about autoxing and you get a instructor all day long. On top of that you get tons of seat time. Also BMW CCA runs a similar autoxing school that is coming up in the last weekend of march.

Hope to see you out there!

29. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

Ok so I've never autox'ed before. I've seen some events but never actually been there. I'm kind of interested just for the hell of it. I know I wont be any competition but it'd just be a fun way for me to get started in all of this. I've been trying to go through the SCCA rulebook to figure out what the hell class my car belongs but it's sooo confusing. Hopefully I can get a few more mods in before this happens.

30. Meredith

Meredith Banned

If you are really confused about what class your car is in I would suggest posting on the Soloatlanta forums (www.soloatlanta.com). You don't need to worry about your class for your first couple events really. You can run in novice (see my previous post) which is really meant to introduce you to autoxing, not put you in full competition.

31. slpymnky

slpymnky Member

How much is a helmet? Is there an age requirement? Since I only have one set of wheels, can I use those? They are 18s with Kumhos.

32. calmnothing

This sunday is the next event right? I'll proobably come by and hang out and watch the more experienced drivers

33. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

Non-standard wheels put you in a Street Prepared, ESP for your wrx, or BSP for an STi*

* = acceptable wheels for stock class need to be same width, diameter and within +/- 1/4" offset.

--
    Brian

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  34. Meredith

Meredith Banned

You don't need a helmet, SCCA usually has a good amount of loaner helments floating around during events. However if you become addicted to autoxing, a helmet would be a wise purchase. You can get a decent one for about $100-$150. You can use whatever tires you have along as they are not corded or damaged. However I do believe 18s will put you a highly modified class. As for age this is what i found on the online rule book:

Drivers must possess a currently valid automobile driver’s license.
    Any underage driver who has the legal authority (license
    or permit) to operate an automobile with restrictions on a public
    road may compete in a Stock, Street Touring, or Street Prepared
    class at Regional events, as long as the restrictions of the driving
    license or permit are met. If those restrictions require a passenger,
    and the Region allows passengers,

So I really don't know what the age requirement is for sure. The better place to post would be the solo atlanta forum.

35. slpymnky

slpymnky Member

Well I have a license and I'm 17, so it seems like I will be able to compete. This sounds like a lot of fun! I need a job....

36. Trey

Trey Active Member

Count me in. :D

Looks like I'll have to change to SM since STU is looking meek this event. :( I guess it's a good reason to use my sticky tires. :)

Where you at Alex???

Also, don't forget, if you sign up for the first event, you will be in the system for the ENTIRE year. No more registering online. Just show up and pay at each event.

37. Meredith

Meredith Banned

There are 27 drivers registered for novice, come out and drive :)

38. calmnothing

I'll probably drive Sunday. I need to redo my alignment and adjust my sway bars. But after looking at all my mods I think I'm going to be in the Prepared class. That a hard class?

39. Trey

Trey Active Member

Can we still get the WRX Atl number plates? We should all have to run them. :D

40. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

im probably down for this but my leggy wont be running for the first event :(

41. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

I have been talking to heyward about that. Maybe Ill-WRX could chime in about availability and cost. If everyone wants, we could enforce the use of the numbers from the 2nd event. Its too short notice for the first event.

42. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

BTW, Novice and Pro Classes are not eligible for the challenge

43. calmnothing

Awwww boooo.... lol
    Does this mean I have to go through and find out which class my car officially belongs to in order to be elgible?

44. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

yes... this is because the challenge is indexed... so people in higher classes have a higher penalty... in a way, its an attempt to normalize everything to determine the best driver

45. 1984

1984 Member

Does the challenge start with the first event? If it does, and I'm eligible, I need to edit my registration for this Sunday's event.

46. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

yes, it starts this week and you are eligible... go ahead and edit your registration

47. 1984

1984 Member

Sweet!

48. Alex

Im here dude, want to run in STU with me? :sx:

49. Meredith

Meredith Banned

I will use the numbers if they match my wheels, but the blue and yellow plates just don't look good with my pink and silver sti.... i mean suzuka blue s2k ;). Regardless, the blue and yellow ones still look great.

50. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i have added a poll about the numbers. Obviously this depends on whether Scott can make more. I believe they will end up being $50 a pair now since the special price earlier was because Scott pulled a favor. I'll let him chime in on this.