wtf shipping a trunk?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AtlxPat, Dec 14, 2009.

1. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

so i have a buyer for my trunk but hes in texas.
    anyone know how to package a trunk for shipping? i dont know how i would ship it without it being damaged along the way.

2. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

crate it up and ship it LTL using averit, AAA cooper or another line, it's the only way to ensure it won't get damage. FYI, if you don't have a business account, it will not be cheap

3. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

large enough box to put some sort of padding between the trunk and the box. mark as fragile. Take a picture of current condition and insure package for what the buyer is paying you. The picture is for photo evidence if for any reason it is damaged in shipping.

depending on what the item is I insure it for twice the price the buyer payed so that I can cover myself if there is any loss as well.

4. What about that expanding spray foam? Could you wrap plastic around the trunk lid then put in a box and place garbage bags around it and fill them with that expanding foam stuff? That way it won't shift around and should be protected all the way around and foam is contained in bags? Just a thought but probably best to have whichever shipping company you use tell you how to pack it up.

5. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Yeah, but if you ship via UPS and it gets damaged, you are SOL even if you buy insurance. If you do not follow their packing directions to a T, they will deny the claim.

6. Jake

Jake Active Member

chances are the corners will get bent or dinged. so find someone who just bought a CF trunk or hood and get the styrofoam covers and use them. shrinkwrap them on and put more stryofoam in the high spots. just wrap the entire trunk in plastic to prevent scratching and do like drew said and freight it. see if a local business (you're work, parents work) will let you ship it thru them.

7. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

You're more than welcome to ship through our Corporate UPS Account if you need to save some cash monies.

The best bet would be to goto a UPS store and have them pack it and ship it. Then charge the buyer for the shipping fees. This way your accountability is covered 100% and the claim would be on the UPS store making the packing mistake(s).

8. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

ups stores charge out the ass for packing, but yea that could work with the accountability. should we start a guessing game on how much they would charge to ship it? $150 to start?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  9. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

Crate it, it will probably cost $100-180 to ship it. Insure it as well to cover your ass.

10. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Wirelessly posted

I'd start w a gabage bag, bubble wrap, cardboard on each corner, peanuts or cloth packing to prevent shipping and build a crate. It won't qualify as freight because it is too light.

11. amonsta

amonsta Member

Send it grey hound! Its om ly like 50 bucks but you have to pack it enough for the bus.

12. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

Weight has nothing to do with it if you're shipping LTL. We ship spiral and sheet metal bits all the time, LTL calculates by weight or volume (by using theoretical weight). You can ship anything LTL, it just costs more. Using our freight rates from our company (which are good, we ship quite a bit), I'm going $180-220, depending on east or west Texas. Remember too there may be a destination charge if you're dropping it off at a residential location or if you need a lift on the truck (assuming end user doesn't have fork lift).