Xbmc

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by techlord, Sep 18, 2013.

1. techlord

techlord Active Member

Anyone using it?

2. longfury

longfury Active Member

I use the spin off called Plex. I like the more updated codecs in XBMC but I can't find a skin that I like for the UI.

3. techlord

techlord Active Member

I haven't been playing with it that long, well the newest version anyways.
    Have you tried the fusion.xbmchub.com addon?
    any insight on how to watch live sports? Specifically NFL games not shown.

I'll have to check out Plex

4. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

IIRC nicad is using it on his raspberry pi, but I use plex on my roku which is pretty similar

5. longfury

longfury Active Member

No, I use it almost exclusively to watch video I have downloaded. Anime or movies or whatever. I use it to stream Youtube and the like from time to time.

6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I was running it but I didn't like the interface. This was on a raspberry pi. It may be better on a full blown pc. Also I had a very hard time getting the plugins to work to get Hulu plus.

I could never find a way to watch real football on it. There are plenty of websites that stream the games. I wrote a little jquery plug in for one site to remove all the ads.

I have a dedicated pc for doing this that I don't care if it gets all virused up.

7. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I tried vipbox.com (Network of Slingboxes) for the Steelers Game on Monday, but ended up getting a virus. No big deal as there is not much on my PC that I am worried about losing, but sucked having to reinstall everything again.

I would like to know of a solution for watching NFL Football without Cable.

8. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

bar and/or friends house with cable.

I gave in and got cable at my new house...

9. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

we ditched it this year. You can stream from firstrowsports (it's a little better than vipbox), but once you get above a 24" monitor the resolution starts to show. I bought a wireless antennae after week one of streaming (didn't cut it), and was surprised to pick up over 30 channels at my place in Marietta. I used TVFool, it gives you the readouts from towers and their strengths, etc. Between that and my brothers Xfinity login information, we have all the major networks + ESPN. The only thing I can't watch in HD from home is Thursday night football (stupid NFL network).

This for the one time low price of $37 shipped...fuck $1,200 / year for cable

10. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

Currently in the process of cutting the cable. Got an OTA antenna from monoprice arriving today (TVFool says we get most of everything downtown with an indoor antenna). With Hulu+, Netflix, and Amazon Prime there isn't much we'll miss other than sports and there is a sports bar about 2 minute stumble from our place.

Hopefully cable companies will start to realize how easy it is to cut the cable now and lower their rates.

11. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

which antenna did you go with?

12. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Using the rents xfinity account for stuff not on hulu, but haven't found a way for live tv. I can watch x show the next day, but not the live football game.

I've tried OTA antennas. Bought and returned 4 from Frys. Tried rabbit ears, amplified and non, directional, indoor/outdoor. Antenna on roof where Sat Dish was mounted. Got a max of 5 channels OTA. Going to try again soon, and try an external tuner, in case my tv tuner is the issue.

Anyone in Alpharetta have an antenna and getting more than 5 channels?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  13. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

I got this antenna for my house.
    [​IMG]
    It's a ClearStream 2v that picks up both UHF/VHF. I attached it to my old DirectTV mount and aimed it with a compass app on my phone. I live about 30 miles south of Atlanta and picked up 2 or 3 usable stations at first. I then installed these:
    [​IMG]
    They're 75 Ohm terminators and I was able to pick up a few more stations, but still not the ones I wanted. I decided since I was only going to use the antenna on one tv in the house that I didn't need the splitter in the attic. Once I ran the coax straight from the antenna to the TV I picked up several more stations and now they're all coming in clear. The main channels I wanted were 2, 5, 11 and 17, which I now have plus about 7 others.

My guess is if I needed to use the splitter again I would need either a larger antenna and/or a pre-amp to get the reception and channels I want. YMMV

14. longfury

longfury Active Member

I wish I could cut off the cable tv.

I have members of the household that can't go without certain shows. My Grandfather has to have FoxNews and the other has to have baseball.

15. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

https://aereo.com/

Get all the local ota channles with a dvr service without an antenna in your home. It has a channel for Roku.

16. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I use XBMC and the last version of Boxee...I like Boxee better on my HTPC.