Yahoo Unlimited...

Discussion in 'Music' started by BelvnAWD, Sep 15, 2005.

1. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Well, this is a review for an online music store as opposed to an album or movie. I signed up with Yahoo unlimited for the year for, I think, $49. This gives you several things. A bunch of commercial free Launchcast stations, unlimited subscription based downloads (good as long as you maintain the service) and access to downloads at .79 a songs. It lets you preview entire tracks before you purchase and if you have a Janus enabled MP3 player, you can just use the transfer the subscription based tracks to it. The site doesn't list many players, and the one I bought wasn't listed, but it works. The main thing to watch out for when buying an MP3 player is to make sure the "Play for Sure" logo on it indicates it is compatiable with Subcriptions as well as downloads.

Anyways, the music catalogue is extensive (like the ad says, over a million songs) and the have some pretty obscure stuff as well. The interface is pretty clean and simple to navigate and intuitive. You can find a decent amount of Artist/Album/Song info on the site including year produced, record label, album cover, etc. It also recommends similar artists to the one your researching and I have found this aspect to work fairly well, better than many of those in the past that tried this. Its also literally half as expensive as the next closest comptetitor (Rhapsody)

Negatives: Its still a beta, so sometimes things get a little wonky and I have found that it sometimes takes awhile for the more popular songs to be subscirption accessible. Other than that, I have no major complaints.

Yesterday I plugged some rca cables into the Aux out on my car stereo and hooked the MP3 player up to it. Worked awesome! The sound quality of the subcription based songs was easily as oggd as FM and darn close to CD (Yahoo also encodes the subscription songs at 192KBS WMA, better than all of the other subscription based retailers). Way better than those FM transmitters. Only issue is you can't control the music through the head unit the way you can with an Ipod enabled unit.

All in all, for 50 bucks and unlimited music, I am very happy. If Yahoo raises prices after the beta, not sure if I will keep doing it, but now that I have an MP3 player that makes the music portable (Car and Gym) I am leaning in that direction....