You guys are gonna kill me...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dontcallitarex, Mar 10, 2009.

1. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

I traded in the subie this weekend for an 09 Fit Sport.

Not only is it a Honda, but its a slushbox!!!

No, but in all seriousness, it was time. The subie was bleeding me dry. The payment, gas, and insurance were just too much for someone my age and making as much as I do. I loved the damned thing, but I wasn't enjoying it anymore since it was such a struggle to keep it on the road. I haven't graduated school and I'm working a great but pretty busy job already, so I decided it was time to downsize to something I could honestly afford. I weighed all my options pretty heavily and decided that I'd rather put 1000-1500 toward a down payment on something with a warranty (which the subie had long since lost), that was brand new and that would not give me any trouble, rather than spend 3000 on a car I own free and clear but would have to pour a shit ton of money into to fix when it drops a transmission. Plus I'll have this thing awhile. It'll make a great daily when I have that beastly STI down the road. :naughty:

To be honest, its a blast to drive. I got the 5sp auto because most of my driving time is spent sitting in traffic or stop-n-go stuff, and its got paddle shifters, which preserve all of the fun factor of the stick on the street...at least for me. The interior is bitchin, and it has a USB port so I can control my iPod through the stereo headunit. It handles better than my WRX stock for stock, honestly. The sport package includes a sizeable rear anti-roll bar, which means it corners pretty flat. Its not fast by any means, but I would describe it as "zippy" or "playful." As with most hondas its all about momentum. There's also not a rattle or anything to be had in the entire car, its solid as a rock. I was totally enamored after the first test drive. I'd tried the Yaris, the Aveo, the Cobalt, the Versa, everything. The Honda was head and shoulders above them in almost every aspect.

Also theres the small plus that the payment is less than half the subie and it gets 40mpg!!!! It also costs less than 20.00 to fill up. :eek3::ddirty: And its absolutely CAVERNOUS inside. Its really unbelievable how much space it has.

And it has VTEC. :rofl:

No worries, I'll still be just as active, I'm still a subie nut, it was just time to be smart. I hope you guys don't disown me.

And thats my confession. :) Better get to changing my profile info. I'll take better photos when I get the JDM rain guards installed this afternoon, the above one is just from my cell phone as I was picking it up.

Moar Peektars:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took these down in Florida off of HWY 231 around sunset. Not the best photographs but they give you a better idea of what the car really looks like.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  2. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

:unamused:

3. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

did you JUST get your car turned...?

4. dontcallitarex

No. It had been close to 8 months.

5. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

tuned*. Nice decision though :) I love it when people make the right financial choice.

6. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

true. I'm having fun giving Russ some crap for it, but overall it was a good choice. :)

7. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

I guess I can't buy my stock wheels back. It was nice to know you...take care!

8. dontcallitarex

I have another set...the ones with the mangled tires....if you want them. Let me know.

And I'm not going anywhere!! I love this place. :)

9. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

10. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

:pssh:

Weak Russ. Weak.

A slushbox?!? I thought I taught you better than that.

But I am all about living inside your means.

PS You should do a K20 swap.

11. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

12. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

"sport" and that car.....really....what's the use? You give the name Russ a bad name. Go change your name to something else so it's the not the same as mine. I'm gonna tailgate your ass next time I see you. :p

13. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Wow, I just saw your car at the Varsity meet last week.

Smart move, save the $.

14. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

in your echo??

:p

it is a sport model...compared to the standard one.

15. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

how much? ;) Evo school is just around the corner...

16. Deke

Deke Active Member

I've heard they are fun cars to drive, and probably a wise decision based on financials. But still :unamused:

17. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

dontcallitaminivan should be the new name!!

18. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

:bowdown::keke:

19. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

WOW! Thats all I have to say... It sucks doing the smart thing. ;)

20. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

21. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Why a Fit? Why not an 07/08 Civic Si? Or an Accord? but a Fit....?

..............................:unamused:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  22. Meredith

Meredith Banned

I'd take a Fit!

Welcome to the dark side... we have vtec and cookies here...

23. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

:pssh:

24. Meredith

Meredith Banned

you are just jealous you don't have vtec and double wish bone suspension ;P

25. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  26. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

This DOES give me an idea! Drag race his Fit in my Echo! AWESOME!

27. flat4ever666

flat4ever666 Member

fit fever, your supposed to progressively up grade in cars...come on russ!

28. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Since when did cars come in a suppository form ??? Gotta do watcha' gotta do!

29. Jake

Jake Active Member

don't worry guys a part if his subie still lives on in the form of his wheels on my L.

For the time being anyways.............

30. dontcallitarex

I drove the civic si and the accord both. The civic si was like 22-23 grand, and the accord was a little more than that, and I need the space the fit has inside...I'm in a band. I got it for 17k pretty much out the door. I just couldn't justify the extra money per month for less space and a little more power. I needed something practical.

I would totally win. I HAZ VTAK YO

I got the JDM style rain guards put on today, and to be honest it looks badass. Its also a blast on back roads. It handles better and corners flatter than my wrx. No bullshit. I found out it has an 18mm rear anti-roll bar. Thats pretty beefy and probably a lot of the reason its so fun.

And when I get in it and start it I don't get depressed because Its making me poor.

I don't hate traffic nearly as much now with the auto. The paddle shifters are a blast. Just something you don't usually see in a car in this price range. This seems to be the case for most of the car. You feel like you're driving something much more expensive.

I also like not having to ask my parents for help every month now because of my car. I'd be able to afford it when I got out of school, but I'd rather save the money.

I'll have another subie, as I do really miss mine....but I'll never have a WRX or STI as a daily again. I put too many miles on a car for something like that to be my everyday car. For now I like my little hatch.

And I hope we can all still be friends. :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  31. Jake

Jake Active Member

ewww "flappy paddle gearbox". LOL, clarkson quote.

32. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

K-Swap....gut it ....cage it.....Motons......Aero Package....Time Attack....WIN

You are only six steps away from WIN sir.

33. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Best. Post. EVAR!

34. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

I always get confused at the logic of needing to save money so people buy a brand new car??

35. cleanmachine

cleanmachine Member

Cookies??? I got Vtech too. Can I have some cookies?:wavey:

36. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

It is all about the monthly payments. New car mfg's subvent many of the costs of borrowing money (ask me how I know)

37. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Time attack isn't autoX, he'd go against what other cars? Lucy? He'd get killed! I wanted to do something like this to my echo for autoX but it would put me in a class I'd get owned in. I already took back seats out of echo and it comes with a 1.8L engine I think. meh...

38. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

39. dontcallitarex

Interesting....but he doesn't seem to account for vehicle depreciation, or the cost of repairing a mechanically unfortunate used car, or the fact that used cars don't include manufacturer support or a warranty, or the fact that your credit history will suffer from never having successfully fulfilled a long term obligation or loan, or trends in the stock market. Mutual funds tend to tank.

I know, its a system, but you gotta work the system. :) I'm all for saving money, but its not just about whats cheapest, but whats smartest for your situation.

I can easily afford 300 a month for a car...I can't afford $3,000 all at once to fix a broken transmission on some beater I paid less than that for because I wanted to "save money." I've done that before and it sucked.

I mean, you get what you pay for, right?

40. Galimore

Galimore Member

Yea...12% interest is VERY optimistic. Lucky to get 1/4 of that now.

But back on topic - Grats on the new car, hope it works out well for you

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  41. Biggis

Biggis Member

42. ThaABomb

ThaABomb Member

Yay! Another Honda on teh forumz!

43. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Is this your response to the claim of having a warranty is worth something?

44. Biggis

Biggis Member

See Honda Prelude transmissions

45. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

Congrats!! ya gotta do what ya gotta do but was this statement necessary:
    "It handles better than my WRX stock for stock, honestly." something I will def. have to prove myself.

46. Jake

Jake Active Member

see cost of replacing said transmission v. cost of replacing a subaru tranny

you can buy a used 5spd tranny for an accord (will also fit a prelude) for less than $300. install might take you a day....

47. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

evidence of the ridiculous price bloat of the civic and the accord in the last 10 years... -_-

Hope you like the car, thats all that matters.

48. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Theres a class just for you little fruit loops and your cute little cars....Well there was last year and they were considering doing a green class this year.

49. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

oh man what a change, but if you like it and it saves you money good for you!!

50. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member