Your detailing setup/procedure?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by GTscoob, Jun 20, 2006.

1. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Just curious what some other guys are using on here.

Last time I did my car I used a Mother's clay bar followed with Meguir's #7 polish followed with a coat of NXT.

I used some ArmorAll car wash gel stuff that my mom got me to wash the car. It's really easy to squirt on the car and then you just lather it up with a wet sponge, only have to use one bucket!

I really want to see what you guys are using on the interior because I'm not much of an interior detailer at all.

2. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

303 aerospace protectant on the interior and meguirs quik interior detailer to keep things fresh.

3. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

sad to say that i usually pay to get my car washed... i have done it myself before but
    1) its hot, tiring, boring and im lazy
    2) never looks clean when i wash it

4. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

hmm.. interior...

well, shop vac with agitator (stupid mesh seats)
    damp rag wipedown with super weak dilution of RESOLVE (this adds stainblocker stuff and helps kill residual odor)

for the plastic & vinyl, I start with a damp terry, then use Armor All Cleaner, not the super shiny nasty protectant. This stuff: http://www.armorall.com/prod_ultimate.html I use microfiber rag to apply, fragrance is light & fades quickly. It cleans well on plastic, rubber, and vinyl.

I top the interior with Meguiars NXT. http://meguiars.com/?vinyl-rubber-plastic-protectants/NXT-Generation-Tech-Protect This stuff seems super greasy and shiny, but trust me, the tacky shine fades after you spread it around, and all thats left is a light fragrance and a TOUGH ultraviolet shield.

I torture tested this stuff on some old facia from a past car; I applied it to one half of the plastic panel, then left it outside for a couple months. When I came back for it, not only was the treated side still dark & evenly colored, but it was soft and pliant. The untreated side had become brittle.

I use Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner on the wheel(not the center), shifter, and ebrake handles. http://meguiars.com/?automotive-leather-care/Gold-Class-Leather-Cleaner-Conditioner This stuff is good for lifting human oils from leather & restoring the tackiness that brand new leather had. I dunno how many of you got your car new, but if you remember grabbing the wheel & thinking how 'grippy' it felt, this stuff with restore that feeling.

soon, i'll need to polish the clear plastic.

Dunno how helpful that is, but of the over-the-counter stuff I've tried, i find it works best so far.

5. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

str8 up BLACK MAGIC ;)

6. jayj713

jayj713 Member

rofl, same with me, i always see little patches where i missed washing. And i always have bugs still stuck somewhere.

7. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

well, now that there's a metro atlanta outdoor water ban...wont make much difference..

8. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

Meguiars on just about everything.

NSF grade silicone spray for all rubber seals and parts. if it's good enough for food prep and mil-spec. it's good enough for car gaskets. (the armorall type stuff does a fantastic job at slowly deteriorating rubber i've been told.)

9. GTscoob

I'm sorry. I wont ever use Black Magic wax ever again after using it once on my ex's car. That was the hardest wax to apply and buff off I've ever used. Didnt even look that great when it was done.

I've used their tire foam and it was the best stuff I've ever used from that company.

10. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

wow wow wow dont say that.. black magic is elite homie.. it's hard stuff but proper use makes ur insides shine like ur outsides.. no joke

11. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

When I got my car my roomate gave me that Mr. clean thing it works good but dont sud up enough for me so I started using turtle wax in a bucket then spray it down with the mr .clean(water only) then spray dry. I used amor all on the inside on everything but moving to meguairs stuff for everything in an out cause of the way the quick detail stuff has impressed me and the neato cleaning tool kit. It is some other stuff called Flynn's that i wanna start using but is kinda high.

12. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

spit.

13. GTscoob

haha. I'm gonna need to wash my car soon, I got shat on by birds 12 times today parked in front of my house.