your thoughts on the 370z

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mokinbird87, Jul 11, 2012.

1. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

share your thoughts on the 370z... wanna know what you guys think about the car.

2. Texsun

Texsun Member

They are boats, however they look SEXY. I could not drive a 2 door coupe, not only because my son but there is no room for ANYTHING!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  3. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I drove a twin turbo 370z for a day. It was fast and fun to drive.

If it didn't have a turbo on it I don't know if I would be interested. Of course I feel the same way about everything so....

They do handle very nice but there is no room for anything.

4. longfury

longfury Active Member

I have had thoughts of dumping the STI and getting a used wagon of some sort for daily duty and a weekend toy. The 370z is on the short list for toys(along with the BRZ, RX8, Z06 and e46 M3, eclectic bunch I know). I am also interested in people's opinion on the car.

5. mokinbird87

i went for a drive and one thing i didnt expect was comfort and refinement... i`m a single guy so i`m not too concerned about space, the Z looks sexy and best of all, the car has power EVERYWHERE... it doesnt feel like our cars (like, lighting a match on fire when you get on it), but the engine is flexible where you can either cruise quietly and comfortably or get on it. i hate the 350z so i never really cared for the 370z, but man they are totally different cars.

6. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

BLIND SPOTS galore!

7. longfury

longfury Active Member

I have a GF but she and I have no plans for kids ever. If I need practical, that is what the wagon DD is for.

Blind spots don't bother me that much. I sit so high in most cars due to my height that I have blind spots that most don't.

8. WRXbryanATL

WRXbryanATL Member

I actually recently put my car up for sale as a feeler..and the things i listed for trade was a zo6, and a 370... i know, completely different cars.

9. jchon3

jchon3 Supporting Member

Feels like a boat. Everything from the Door to the trunk feels "heavy" which i guess can be a plus to some.

After driving a turbo subaru, 370 kind of felt dull at WOT (doesnt throw you into your seat at all)
    ie. They are fast but do not feel so

This is all opinion/what i noticed of course :squint:

10. mokinbird87

yea if you read my above comment about how it feels at WOT, it is a bit disappointing... turbo cars and peaky torque characteristics is a lot of fun.

I for one love how "heavy" things feel in the Z (mind you the doors, hood, and the trunk is aluminum).

if i can make it rev a bit quicker the Z would be a really nice daily drive.

11. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

The BRZ and RX8 are both remarkably slow. A lot of people really enjoy the way the BRZ drives I don't think I could own one though.

The z06 is awesome to drive and makes a ton of power. Easy and relatively cheap to mod. Repair parts are more affordable than any of the other cars mentioned.

E46 M3 is one of my favorite cars of all time, great looking car, relatively fast. Parts are expensive though. Ive been keeping my eye out for one with a blown engine or tranny, A LSX engine swap would make it the best of both worlds I think.

If you are considering any of them for a Track toy I would skip the RX8 and BRZ for sure, the RX8s have lots of problems none of which you want to tackle at home. The BRZ is still an unknown. The E46 is great on track but again parts are expensive. The Z06 is kind of the ultimate track toy.

12. longfury

longfury Active Member

Thanks for your input. It is really helpful. I am not looking for a track toy. I want something fun on the street and up in the mountains. In those cases, a low power car like the RX8 or the BRZ are fine.

I have owned 2 RX8's in the past. I really loved the handling of the car. It just was not capable of being my only car. Not enough cargo room and miserable on long drives due to my height and the seats. The RX8 is cheap enough on the used market that I could do something about the seats and make it a really good weekend only car.

Finding unmolested used variants of these cars that are not convertibles(minus the brand new BRZ and the RX8 that had no convertible) is proving to be difficult as I research which one I would want.

Now,back to talking about the 370zed...

I sat in a 350z a few years ago. I had tons of room in it as far as I can remember. I need to hit up a dealer that has a used one that I can sit in and take out for a drive.

13. mokinbird87

drove the Z06, i can see why people like it, but not my cup of tea.

14. JL889

JL889 Pandastic!

+1 for the E46 M3. I sold my STi to get a M3 and best purchase i've ever made. The parts are expensive but they are quality. The same goes for STi(quaility parts are expensive) but you can get cheap parts but most of the time they are crap. M3 is a nice blend of sport and luxury. Maybe at the next dinner meet you can take mine for a spin.

My roommate has a 350Z Track and i call it a Japanese Mustang. Clutch is heavy and as said before boat like steering.

15. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

BMW = Break my wallet. Oil for it when I sold mine was $96 just for the filter and oil and you changing it. Cross 100k miles and you have close to $5000 in maintenance issues that need to be addressed sooner or later thanks to a crappy cooling system in regards to longevity. Then there's the rear subframe issues. Not to mention all the Vanos issues that are happening more and more too.

16. mokinbird87

i wouldnt feel easy driving someone`s M3... you can take me around to get a feel for it. i think i`m pretty set on the 370z though.

17. longfury

longfury Active Member

Yeah, this is why they are at the bottom of my short list. I would have to get a steal of a deal for me to buy one over the other cars on my list.

The 370z would be 2nd on my list behind the BRZ and just ahead of the RX8. The Z06 just has more power than I think I would want in a street only, no track duty car and would come in 4th on the list.

18. mokinbird87

i`m more confident in taking corners in my car than the Z06... it has its charm in that you sort of tame it and it rewards you, but i much prefer a precise feeling car.

as far as the BRZ, i like it a lot, but the price is what is stopping me... and I want something bigger than 4 cylinders. used 370Zs are a better value than the BRZ IMO, but the brz is probably a better sports car overall. it doesnt feel as comfortable as the Z though.

19. longfury

longfury Active Member

First of the year I am going to start my serious search. Are you looking to buy soon?

I feel bad going to dealers, when I am not in the market, and test driving stuff with no intent of buying.

20. mokinbird87

haha i do it all the time.

21. longfury

longfury Active Member

I used to work in sales. It wasn't commission based but, I know how a salesperson feels when they spend time with someone and don't get a sale.

22. mokinbird87

now i look like an asshole but i cant just sit around and wonder forever about how a certain car drives... i try to be courteous about it though...

23. longfury

longfury Active Member

I understand how you feel. I tend to do lots of test drives when I am in the market. I really should do it your way.

24. mokinbird87

best one is when they let me go alone in a $90k jag XK... boy did they make a huge mistake

25. Coldcat83

Coldcat83 Member

Without going into huge detail and boring you with "my 350Z NISMO was so awesome". I thoroughly enjoyed driving mine and it always put a smile on my face when driving. If you do decide to get one I would recommend getting the NISMO edition and nothing else. My buddy had the same year as mine 08 but a track edition and they were like night and day the NISMO is just a better feel and a lot more predictable. I don't have as much experience with the 370 as it's little brother but definitely recommend the NISMO over anything else. See too long of an explanation as it is lol. Also Nissan is great with their warranty and in my opinion no dealership has come close to Regal in Roswell when it comes to service and customer courtesy.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  26. longfury

longfury Active Member

I will ask a taboo question...

Has anyone driven the 7 speed automatic version of the 370z?

27. mokinbird87

i`ve driven the G37 with the 7-speed auto.. (i`m gonna assume it's the same unit in the Z) aside from the VW DSG, it is a really slick auto; i would almost opt for the auto for the G37 actually. i was surprised at how quick it shifts and blips throttle when you downshift even if it's not a double clutch set up.

but the Z has such a nice shifter feel.. clutch engagement is also day/night from the 350z imo.

28. longfury

longfury Active Member

Sadly, my left knee is starting to protest when shifting the STI. So, I have to at least consider it.

29. mokinbird87

go against all your car logics, ignore the FWD physics and give the new GTI a try; it`s probably the most fun you can have without the clutch at a reasonable price

30. longfury

longfury Active Member

I drove one back in about 2008. I liked it, a lot. I just don't like the cost of maintaining it if anything goes wrong out of warranty. It is still German after all.

31. cleanmachine

cleanmachine Member

I like the 370Z; It is a great looking car. I have seen a couple lowered with some lip kits that look great! I also like how you can see the GTR in the interiour bits. I also agree with previous mentions of heavy steering and such; as is the clutch; which for me is a plus. I had it on a list with the 135i and am pretty much decided on the BMW. I really do like the C5 Z06 too. However, I think my next toy will have to be a T-rex. I am researching now...

32. Jake

Jake Active Member

Just passed a lacuna seca blue 370, mmm. But then again that color makes almost everything look great.

33. longfury

longfury Active Member

Well, the 370z is off my short list. I sat down in one and my head was hitting the roof. Oh well, this is what I get for being tall.

34. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Lean fool, lean.

35. mokinbird87

you must be really tall cuz i`m 6'1" and had plenty of headroom...

36. longfury

longfury Active Member

That I am. I have a full 5" on you. I am 6'6".