Zoom Zoom Live, Taste of Lexus

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by Deke, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Deke

Deke Active Member

https://www.zoomzoomlive.com/ (9/30 - 10/1)

http://www.tasteoflexus.com (11/4 - 11/5)

What's better than driving cars you aren't responsible for on a race track?

I can't speak for Taste of Lexus because I haven't done it, but I did do ZoomZoom Live last year and it's a blasty-blast. You get to drive an RX8 (with an instructor) and a Miata, 3,5, and 6 without. All of which you pretty much get to drive as hard as you please. It's not the greatest thing ever, but it's definitely a good, free way to spend a saturday/sunday. Just thought I'd let you all know about them.

Edit: Me and a friend are planning a weekend of racing bliss. First Petit le Mans on Saturday and then the mazda one Sunday.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  2. I did a taste of lexus a while back . It was nice but it was for the GX470.sportutility.We drove it on a 'off-road' test track.it was piles of dirt in the Atlanta Motor Speedway parking lot.We also drove the BMW and MB med. sized suvs to compare. And we ate a lot of good food and had some Lexus promos. It was okay but had to go or would have to pay fo it. Supposedly lots of $$.Had to get up too early in the a.m.

3. Deke

Deke Active Member

hmm, well like I said, I don't know much about the taste of lexus, but I do know that the mazda one is pretty fun.

4. Brian

Brian Active Member

I've signed up for both(Sat mornings) See you there!

5. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

The Taste of Lexus is one of the best non magazine driving events
    they have bmws mercs and MANY other competitors cars there
    and you get to destroy the fool out of them
    Last year the XLR we drove about gave up the ghost, the torque converter was pretty much blown on it, which is why they kinda suck.

6. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

yea i might do the mazda one this year

7. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

+1

My wife and I did the Taste of Lexus Performance Edition last year and had an awesome time. They were introducing the IS350 and had a sweet little course set up...not long enough to get much speed, obviously intentional so as not to discourage wrecking the cars. And as Eric said, they put competitor cars in the line up on each course as well...anyways, just good times all around...when isn't it fun to beat up someone else's car and walk away after handing back the keys. :coolugh:

8. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

we destroyed an XLR lol
    that poor thing sounded horrid at the end of the day, drove for shit to begin with though, felt like all the soul and fun was taken out of a vette and then everything else transplanted into a tacky old man shell.

I got up to some pretty good speeds at TOL, and the courses are a hoot, they are set up really well. The one year they had foam boulders to dodge, I plowed through them on purpose a few times, it was just so much fun.

then at the mercedes event the stuffed deer on a rope, that was just laughable and everyone dodged it once for thrills then plowed the f out of it

9. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I am on my way out the door. Hope to see a few people at the Mazda event today!

10. longfury

longfury Active Member

Other than the RX8 being gutless(no real torque and so smooth it feels slower than it is) you might fall for it. I know I did. I wish sometimes(more than I will admit) that I had kept mine.

The Mazda 3 handles really well. Almost as well as our WRX's. The MX5 is...well we all know that it can do.

11. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

im goin tomorrow to ZZ

12. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

nice..make sure to take some pics!

13. Brian

Brian Active Member

Cadillac: Hated BMW's and Cadillac's electronic nannies, yuck! The SRX did have a huge, super nice sunroof.

Zoom: I managed all 25-50 pt runs for 100 pts total, but man.... I need some more auto-x practice. I had all 4 tires howlin' most of the way around for a 27:4. The guy who won had a 26.7 and barely even chirped his tires. It would have taken me 4+ extra runs to get that kind of time.

14. Deke

Deke Active Member

Good stuff, I'm going tomorrow :)

15. BlockAM

BlockAM New Member

Went to the mazda zoom zoom today, and it was awesome....there were no lines and I was able to do a total of 16 runs and another 16 as the passenger with my buddy driving....you can basically drive the cars to the limit, and the mx 5, rx8 and speed6 are all fun cars to do so with. I even accumulated enough points to win a die cast mx5.

16. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I had a good time, but didn't get to stay long. I didn't even get to do the mazdaspeed challenge as they were waiting for enough people to migrate over before they started the event. I did drive the RX-8 and MX-5 many time though and while I really enjoyed being in a RWD car again, the RX-8 was too cramped for my tastes. The Miata was suprisingly gutsy. Think I will wait for the Mazdaspeed version though...

17. longfury

longfury Active Member

Yeah the MX-5 is very gutsy. The RX8 is cramped but overall no worse than any other car in its class.

the MX-5 will get a Mazdaspeed version(probably a NA 2.3L). The RX8....probably not.

Edit: I get a tingle (the good kind) when I drive a RWD. I don't get the same feeling in AWD or FWD. I miss RWD. :(

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  18. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Sounds like a great event. My wife and I just got our invites for the Taste of Lexus Performance Edition 2006. It's going to be held at Atlanta Motor Speedway on Nov 4th and 5th. Can't wait to get in the GS450h. :bigthumb:

http://www.tasteoflexus.com/

19. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

I forgot to take pics, left the camera in the car.

ended up with a 27.7, the hourly at that time was 26.1, the guy flew and threw the car around.

the first time i took the course i thought i was in my car and tried to swing the rear out at the turn on the end... i grabbed some cones instead

20. Deke

Deke Active Member

26.1, holy crap. I think the hourly at the time I was there was around a 27 flat. I couldn't break a 29 :rolleyes: