My sti is broken

Discussion in 'Allpro Subie Service & Performance' started by STIstorm, Jul 27, 2015.

1. STIstorm

STIstorm Supporting Member

Driving from Tampa back to Atlanta on Friday night, my car started to make a terrible clicking noise. Sounded like metal hitting metal. Eventually, the car seized up and completely shut itself down, and not being able to turn it back on. After opening the hood I saw that my coolant reserve tank was bubbling. Sad day. Had to tow my car to the closest subaru dealership in Gainesville Florida. Pretty nervous as to what they will tell me once they open her up tomorrow morning. They told me today that they did have time to check the oil, and it was thick and sparkly, like metal was in it. First guess was that I destroyed a piston. Long story short, should I let the dealership handle it even though I've voided the warranty with the down pipe and stage two tune, or should I just get it on a trailer and take it right to the guys at all pro? Any feed back would be great.

2. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

Well, are you going to try for a warranty claim, or set on paying out of pocket...? If OOP, I'd trailer it to AllPro and call it a day. Else, you can let the dealer diagnose it further, but be prepared to pay them when they pull the motor. I'd also ask them what work they expect to do to disgnos and an estimate on labor.

3. STIstorm

I think at this point I'll try to pull one over on the subaru dealership saying I didn't know about the downpipe or the tune and try to get some warranty on it. I will have the dealership give me an estimated price and what needs to be fixed so I can then call all pro and tell them exactly what is wrong. I mean if I'm looking at a 900-1200$ fix I'll just have the dealership fix it. But all I can do right now is just wait and be angry at myself for driving like an asshat.

4. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

Good luck...

$1200 fix? If there's metal in the oil, that most likely means a complete teardown. It'll be $900+ just to pull the motor and take it apart.

5. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

ouch, sorry to hear.

Time for a TSM SS1 shortblock.

6. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

FYI.. dealerships read this forum. May want to yank this thread.

7. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

You will be denied....there are people with completely stock STi's being denied ringland failures. Your best bet would be to get it towed to AllPro unless you feel like paying $$$$ for them to diagnose and tell you that it is not covered under warranty.

8. STIstorm

*UPDATE*
    Having it transported back to georgia now. Then going to have it taken to all pro. Hopefully it's not going to be ridiculous amount of money. But I need my car.

9. TURBOH4

TURBOH4 Member

I, like many others, cringe at the thought of my engine blowing up. We feel for you man. Seriously.

That said, I think a lot of us here would really appreciate some more information. You just recently installed the DP and AP3 so I'd be curious to know if you got a protune or just went with the OTS map.

How many miles were put on the car prior to going Stage 2? How many miles were put on Stage 2? Any ideas why this might've happened?

10. STIstorm

No protune, was running a cobb stage 2 tune on 93 octane. Car is a 2013 STI hatch with maybe 36000 miles before the upgrades. Sitting at 38000 miles now. This happened about 250 miles into a trip home, with 300 miles to go and had just recently took the car on a 600 mile trip. I was staying at a steady speed of 114mph in 100 degree weather with high humidity. The end results are my fault at the least. I will hopefully understand more one the motor has been pulled and the car has been looked over. Will update once I understand what happened. Lesson from this event is that I will not be taking road trips in this car.

11. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

:eek3: steady 114 mph and 100* temps?

12. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

steady....... at 114mph? as in, you were cruising at 114?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  13. TURBOH4

TURBOH4 Member

Well, now we know why the engine took a dump...no offense, OP.

I'll spare you the lecture about racetrack speeds on public roads, but please try to slow down a little in the future.

14. STIstorm

I learned my lesson. I'm gonna baby this car when I get it back.

15. STIstorm

Yeah, for a little over 100 miles. I was in a hurry to get back home.

16. orndog

orndog Member

She melted she did.

17. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I'm surprised it made it that long.

18. FACE

FACE Active Member

Me too ^^^

19. orndog

orndog Member

This isn't the guy who dropped a bolt in his engine and ran it anyway, is it?

20. STIstorm

Dropped a bolt in the engine... Not Me. Just drove it to hard. But If all goes right i will be back on the road today!

21. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

lol, nope.

22. b reel

b reel Active Member

Confused, is this car at Allpro or TSM?

23. Drowland87

Drowland87 Staff Member Supporting Member

Pretty sure I saw it at allpro on Wednesday getting a new short block.

24. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

it's at allpro, getting a TSM block

25. STIstorm

Car is at All Pro just waiting for me to pick her up! Just got finished today. Everything is running perfect now. Looks like it was a previous owner problem and that is probably why he sold it. But, now it's time for a Pro-tune and a new Cobb Cat Back exhaust. Doug is going to try to squeeze me in next week for the tune. So I will probably be without a car for another few days. oh well.

26. STIstorm

Not getting the TSM block. all my money is tied up in opening my new franchise in Johns Creek and I just could not spend the extra 1500$. I'm already in the hole 350000$ at the moment and still cannot open my doors until I pass my fire inspection Tuesday and get a CO. Then I have to order inventory; but I won't bore you with business shit.

27. orndog

orndog Member

What business?

28. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

^^^

This.

29. orndog

orndog Member

Speaking of business, I STILL need to get to allpro for a CVT fluid change.

30. STIstorm

Custom t shirts and more!

Well good news is my car is back on the road, bad news is after a 15 minute drive, and then parked for 6 hours, I turned the car back on, and check engine light is on, traction control light won't turn off, cruise control and SI drive lights are flashing. Someone help! What do I do. I drive it back to my girlfriend's house but I don't want to drive it anymore until I can get it to the shop.

31. STIstorm

32. b reel

b reel Active Member

the dreaded air injection crap. Did they delete the air pump?

33. STIstorm

Not that I know of. I just reset the codes.

34. b reel

b reel Active Member

bad move to clear codes before getting with Allpro. Hope it's just a fluke but best to be on the safe side and let it sit till you get with them

35. STIstorm

I mean I wrote the code down so they can still look into it. Had to drive. But so far after a 40 minute drive nothing has come back on. But I'll just have to wait and see tomorrow.

36. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

Might just be that the air pump plug wasn't plugged in, OR you did an air pump delete and forgot that you will need to delete the code as well.

When doug tunes you just tell him, he'll remove the code from the map before flashing it. Or if he doesn't encrypt the map you can go in and delete it yourself using access tuner race.

37. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

Also the flashing of lights you describe on the dash is known as "limp mode" in our cars. Whenever certain codes are thrown (anything boost / vac related, or anything emissions related) it will go into limp mode.

38. STIstorm

Yeah, the air pump was deleted, had QED tune it. But lights are still flashing.

39. STIstorm

Just a follow up after the 1000 mile break in and tune by QED, car is running like a champ and better than ever, Limp mode is no more and I think it's safe now to go ahead and get this emissions test out of the way! Thanks again for all the hard work and time put into this project. Especially the amazing turn-around time!! The guys at All Pro are all rock stars are were able to help me get out of my ugly camaro rental and back into my beautiful STi in no time!!!

40. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Awesome glad to hear it worked out. Did they do any upgrades while they had the motor apart?

41. STIstorm

They loaded me up with some top of the line blinker fluid!