RSutton's 2011 SSM WRX Hatch Progress

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by rsutton1223, May 11, 2011.

1. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

And so it begins...

[​IMG]

2. rsutton1223

Had some fun yesterday...

[​IMG]

3. rsutton1223

More parts are in...things are about to get crazy.

[​IMG]

4. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

He's going all pachoo-pachoo on us. First the ricer rev video and now this...great.

5. rsutton1223

It's recirculating!! Not a BOV...

6. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Noob.....

7. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

8. rsutton1223

It was a beautiful night for a drive...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  9. driveclimbslide

driveclimbslide New Member

I like your photography! Keep it up.

10. rsutton1223

11. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

When's tune day?

12. rsutton1223

Doug is going to be out of town for 2 weeks with One Lap so I am going to put the parts on, put on a super conservative tune and then let him work his magic when he gets back. So the final tune won't be for another couple of weeks.

13. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

very interested in your impressions of this turbo vs stock

14. Jake

Jake Active Member

this is the dom 1.5xt yes? excited to see numbers on the newer WRX's i know King is going with this too

15. rsutton1223

that's the one! King's is already in...he is just running on a break-in tune right now.

16. rsutton1223

The good news...

I got in a set of prototype rear brackets in from KNS Brakes so I can finish my Brembo brake project.

[​IMG]

Even better news...they look great installed!

[​IMG]

Now the bad news...

Everything is absolutely perfect...until I bolt on the wheels. Everything completely locks up as soon as I torque down the lug nuts. Apparently...the difference between 07 and 08 STI rotors is a slight hub depth difference. When you bolt up 07 STI rotors to my car, the rotor gets pressed against the parking brake backing plate.

New slotted rotors on the way from KNS and the original brakes are back on the car until later this week.

17. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

18. liltoua

liltoua Member

Looks soo good =)

19. rsutton1223

Rears are complete. Big thanks to Ken at KNS brakes for making the brackets, supplying the rear rotors and putting up with my constant asking about the brackets progress.

The brackets work PERFECTLY. A little bit of grinding off the knuckle and they bolt right up.

[​IMG]

My original teaser picture showed drilled rotors. For one...those didn't work because there is a depth difference in the e-brake between 07-08 which makes the rotors completely lock up when you torque down the wheel. This was ok with me as I wanted to switch to slotted from drilled anyway, so Ken sent over a set of 08+ STI DBA 4000 STI rotors drilled for 5x100. Everything mounted up nicely...

[​IMG]

Once the everything was bled, caliper was waxed and the wheel was torqued down...I went for a drive and everything performed flawlessly. The car is insanely dirty from a lot of driving this week...but here is how they look behind my Works.

[​IMG]

Now I just have to get slotted rings for my fronts to get rid of the drilled rotors I hate and everything will be matched up. It's nice to finally have the rears on.

The fronts for reference...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  20. whtwrx11

whtwrx11 Member

Looking good!

21. rsutton1223

Played at AllPro Subaru in Alpharetta, GA today...

[​IMG]

22. All Pro FTW

23. rsutton1223

Parts from TS and the mack daddy tune will be rocked by Doug.

24. :p I'm just giving you crap!

25. rsutton1223

Don't you know I am a super sensitive baby online? :rofl:

26. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

380hp on 93 octane here we come. Hopefully we see some e85 too!

27. rsutton1223

[​IMG]

Low boost map until the EBCS is installed. Only hitting around 16 pounds right now. Tune by Doug at TopSpeed Motorsports. It really is impressive to see how Doug can tweak a car and make small adjustments to get a desired result. The guy knows Subaru's. We will be doing the final map on the car once the EBCS comes in, but the car already feels SUPER smooth.

[​IMG]

28. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

Very nice Robb.

29. Glad you got it all tuned up bro ;)

30. resynch

resynch Supporting Member

I saw this at AllPRo Subaru last week (Great guys btw) and I would like to be just like you when I grow up...lol. Nice work and beautiful car.

31. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

I bet it's a totally different car now. Good work sir. I want to know what you think of that turbo in the mtns. How is spool compared to stock?

32. rsutton1223

Spools just like stock. That is what is so great about the 1.5. It makes more power than a 20g and spools quicker.

Wideband is in.

[​IMG]

33. rsutton1223

34. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

So how is the custom Sparco coming along?

35. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm looking at it right now.

36. rsutton1223

:squint:

37. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I just noticed the missing foglight. Intake?

38. rsutton1223

Yep. Keeping intake temps down. I need to figure out something to block water though.

39. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Is the pipe directly connected to the intake? Reason I'm asking is I built something simliar on mine and it caused my car to stall if you threw it in neutral while coasting.

40. rsutton1223

No tube. Just bring air into the chamber where the cone is.

41. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Cool. That's what mine did but I also had it such that it forced air through the filter at speed. Worked like a freaking charm in keeping the IAT sensor cool and happy but again coming up to a stop light and throwing car in neutral to coast there = sputter. MAF was picking up airflow but the throttle body was closed = flooding cylinders.....LOL.

Doug couldn't figure it out, Scott couldn't figure it out. Ol WJM figured it out in 10 mins and I had driven to Jacksonville to just turn around and go home....le' sigh.

42. rsutton1223

Today was a good day to say the least. Final 93 pump tune is on the car and it is pretty strong. Doug at TopSpeed Motorsports did work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

43. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Looking good man. Whens e85 tune?

44. rsutton1223

I'll do that when the block is built.

45. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

You are making almost as much power as a 'built' block I heard of. You should be very happy.

46. WRXbryanATL

WRXbryanATL Member

More power than my "built" ss1 block.

47. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

And before anyone says anything......built motors don't make more power if all elements are the same (i.e. forged pistons only). They just are able to take more abuse.

But who builds a motor and doesn't change compression, add cams, etc? :rofl:

48. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Should be able to pick up some torque on spool up with the right cams and some head work. Should also be able to carry the power out to 7250-7500.

From what I've seen so far with the DOM 1.5 there is very little loss spool wise but there are major gains to be had up top with a front mount.

I like the simplicity of the Top Mount but the Front Mount is clearly superior at this power level.

49. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Most people....lol

50. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

True....sad.