05 RBP Legacy GT

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by benfrancis, Jan 6, 2014.

1. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

UPDATE: I have SOLD the car for a 15 Ford Focus ST! I look forward to watching to car progress with the new owner but I also love the new ride!

Hello guys! I have a new to me LGT in Regal Blue Pearl w/ a 5 speed and quite a few mods. The previous owner had put quite a bit of work into this car and I'm looking forward to picking up where he left off.

Modifications:

Motor:
    Topspeed RR1: EJ257 Short block conversion from an 04 STi (stock EJ255 Heads)
    CP pistons
    JDM 12MM oil pump
    Cometic head gasket
    Killerb Oil pickup Tube
    Blouch Dom 1.5xtr turbo
    Walbro 255 fuel pump
    Allpro TGV Deletes
    Perrin Turbo Inlet
    Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS
    Mishimoto Radiator

Driveline:
    ACT clutch with flywheel from a 2008 WRX (Rebuilt by Clutch Specialty Auto)
    Transmission snout (covers wear from stock but makes some noise)

Brakes:
    StopTech pads
    StopTech rotors
    StopTech steel braided lines
    DOT 4 Super Blue for brake and clutch

Suspension:
    04 STI gold BBS Rims
    JDM Spec B REV B Bilstein suspension
    COBB front and rear sway bars
    whiteline front roll center and whiteline steering rack bushings
    Perrin PSRS
    Whiteline Front Inner Control Arm Bushings
    Whiteline Front Heavy Duty Steering Rack Bushings
    Whiteline Front Roll Center Kit
    WBR Front mount intercooler

Exhaust:
    Catted Cobb downpipe
    Catless STi Uppipe

Exterior:
    Rally Armor mud flaps
    Dual Hella Horns

A quick shoutout to Dana and TougeFighter for hooking me up with this kit and installing them..
    Full HID Retrofit: TheRetrofitSource retro quick kit for the legacy
    Morimoto upgraded projectors (surprisingly easy swap)
    Morimoto ballasts
    Morimoto 6k bulbs
    8mm led halos
    Diode Dynamics LED Switchback turn signal bulbs w/ CF18 flasher module

The week I got the car...
    [​IMG]

Currently...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Keep in mind that this was on the AWD dyno from Allpro which definitely reads lower than some of the other single-roller DynoJets or Dynocoms around town.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

hahah that's Will Austin's old car. nice!

For what it's worth, that engine came out of Lucy, which was the car TopSpeed built for One Lap of America 5 or so years ago.

3. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

Thanks for the info. I called Topspeed and they didn't have any info about the car bc they've undergone some management changes in the past year and a half so I know nothing about what the build was and what the power runs for the car are... :|

4. Matt

They know the engine for sure. I can guarantee it.

5. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

Yeah, maybe they do but they wouldn't give me any info..

6. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

Sounds like top speed personnel..

7. Justin V

Justin V Member

A quicker spool tune??? on a vf48

Most people would love to see full boost anywhere before 4000 rpm

8. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

Yep that's my old car :) I was just wondering today where she went.

Matt is right that the shortblock is the stroker one from the one lap top speed car mated to the stock EJ255 Legacy GT heads with a cometic head gasket . Doug will recognize the car and the engine if you mention her by name I promise you :) All pro touched the car last so things like the boost controllers and TGV deletes are their work.

Full list of mods are in this thread where i posted up the car for sale:
    http://wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34894

9. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

Thanks for all the info. I am loving the car and the mods you've done. I've looked for a nice LGT for a while now.

10. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

Glad she's in good hands. I have a rally armor aluminum skid plate that was on the car previously (with holes for changing the oil) and I'd probably be willing to trade it for a case of sweetwater or something at the next meet up I can get to :) I also have some spare rota rims, the stock shocks and struts, and 4-5 oil filters + crush rings (it already has a fumoto valve for the drain but you probably saw that already). I may have another spare key and remote here somewhere too so if you're curious I'll dig it up. If i find anything else I'll let ya know.

They should have kept the Cobb AP2 in the glove box so you should have all the tune files on there no matter where you go. Last tune was at Top Speed through all pro.

11. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

Love the car! Miss my legacy!! Hope to see it in person!

12. outbacksprt

outbacksprt Member

Just out of curiosity.. which ones??

13. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

Rota SDR 17x7.5 Gunmetal Grey.

14. outbacksprt

outbacksprt Member

Ooo me like.. :drool:

15. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

Extra items sold. Just wanted to close this thread out :)

16. Matt

THIS ISN'T YOUR THREAD!

:p

17. Tperk90

Tperk90 Member

18. chameleon

chameleon Member

lol!

19. b reel

b reel Active Member

you'll want a thermal dispersant coating on the intercooler and pipes. Zircotec would be the best option but I haven't found a US distributor yet, bought it direct from manufacturer. Have used Zircoflex and it's the shit when dealing with high heat issues. Used it on generator sets in the megawatt range when enclosure size/space is critical to application. Nice thing about it is you can paint over it.

http://www.zircotec.com/

stand corrected, you can get it local if near Peachtree City. Think M Ball and I went down there a few years back

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/ziroctecheatshield.php

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  20. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

Yeah I was looking into thermal coatings for the piping. Thanks for the heads up. Now to save up money to get the work done.

21. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I put that block together. It's o-ringed as well.

22. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

Cool! Thanks for the info and for doing the great work on the block!

23. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

It's been a while since I've updated anything on my thread.

Upgrades:

Stoptech brake kit: Braided lines, pads, slotted rotors, and more Super Blue fluid.
    Perrin AOS: A pain in the butt to install but it has definitely helped relieve some pressure
    General maintenance: belts, fluids, ect.

Plans:

Full retrofit kit from Sparta (projectors, bulbs, ballasts, and install help :] )
    Install the JDM Pink STi springs I just picked up
    Short shifter kit (Kartboy or Cobb?)
    Speaker upgrades (Undecided on best for value)

In the meantime, I am working on getting to know the limits of my car better and what better way to do that than mountain runs and backroad cruising?

Birthday drive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf4RdVRflIY&list=UUMMcrrTZNvsWrS83g5kzBmA

Little River Canyon Cruise w/ 4Touge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgZ7ItxNf08&list=UUMMcrrTZNvsWrS83g5kzBmA

24. Matt

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  25. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

26. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

So I am/was toying around with the idea of a 6MT from an 04 STi to swap into my car but I'm curious if I'll really see any gains. Yes, I'll have DCCD and different diffs and a 6th gear but overall, other than highway cruising I am not sure it would be much of an advantage if most of what I do "performance" wise is mountain runs. Clearly my trans can handle the power as it is without needing a 6MT. Anyone have any thoughts?

I need to get the pistons re-rung and get the block resealed, it's about time and while I was there I was thinking about swapping to STi heads & doing a retune to unlock just a little more power? I'm kicking around quite a few ideas for what's next for my LGT.

27. Justin V

Justin V Member

none of the above.

Sti trans is great but it is not a hwy cruising trans. a legacy 6spd has longer gears but not as strong as the sti.

The DCCD is fancy, but is hardly noticeable most of the time. I've locked mine out one time skiing and that was just cuz.

I'd like to hear why you think sti heads are better. In fact you may already have them on your car. Some LGTs and FXTs had the b25s.

If you read fuji's thread on nasioc you will find 2 differences in b and d25 heads. b25's have a slightly smoother port from 1 valve (the dogleg) but less meat overall for extreme port work. The other difference is the chamber 7 cc difference, changes the compression ratio, sti's shape burns slower... thus leading to the cracks you sometimes see around spark plug holes.

Unless you have fancy pistons in mind and they'll put your compression ratio too high with d25 heads. Most tuners make more power with d series heads.

Cams and valve train are identical if you thought there was something better. At one point Exhaust valves were sodium filled, but now all are solid.

28. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

I've decided against the STi 6MT. In regard to the heads idea, it's just one I started thinking about last night because I have a hybrid swap on the TopSpeed RR1 block from Lucy which has better pistons in them already.

According to TopSpeed's post about the RR1:
    -CP TS Spec Forged Pistons
    -Forged EJ257 Crankshaft (modified)
    -Carrilo TS Spec Connecting Rods
    -ACL Race Series Main and Rod Bearings
    -Modified Oil Passages
    -Race Winning Tolerances
    -Pinned Block

I figured having better and stronger heads matched to this block would be ideal. I don't know much about the heads differences yet so I'll definitely look at that fuji article.

29. Justin V

Justin V Member

take heads to ball, get bowl blend and valve job, stiffer springs if you want to rev it higher.

That is the MOST reliable way to make power on subaru heads. Currently all cams are a gamble for whatever gains they provide and remaining valve train is really only to support high lift cams.

Valve guides - meh softer, slicker, no noticeable gains
    springs - needed for high lift cams, coil bind issues, or valve float. no power, too stiff causes problems.
    retainers - stronger, lighter. no noticeable gains.
    Valves - stronger to handle higher seat pressures, some use different material (inconel) for anti lag systems and high heat, Oversized provides minimal gains, has less seat area to disperse spring pressure across and less area for heat transfer.
    Cams - gamble as OEM material quality is much higher for reliability while after market grinds yield performance but put material strength to the limit.
    Port work - bowl blend is most beneficial and good for 600whp, more extreme porting is benficial above that but will slow intake velocity and shift power curve to the right.
    Chamber work is about all thats left and really unnecessary.

I don't know how to go about the block in a good way. I'd rebuild the whole thing. to rering you really need a hone to seat the rings well and not have oil consumption. The hone may open your PWC clearances a bit (the pinning should keep the cylinders from ovalling). Larger PWC means more noise, possible consumption, and piston wear.

I would pull the pistons and have them coated with something to snug up the PWC.
    Hone the cylinders for ring seat.
    And having it down that far, I'd pull the bearings and swap them, bearings are $140ish and the labor isn't much more when you've got it that far down.
    If you want a new clutch, I'd balance the whole rotating assembly. and that'd be a bad machine.

30. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

^^ Shiet man, better buy a beater car to drive while this is all getting done.

To keep things simple you could find some Legacy heads and send them off to get built and then have them put on. This will save downtime

31. Justin V

Justin V Member

He's reringing it anyways. Pull the pistons same day the heads come off, send 'em off to be coated, bearings can be ordered now and the rest shouldn't take much more time at the machinist.

If he goes as originally planned. heads come off and sit there. block gets the pistons removed and a day worth of file fitting rings and reinstall.

If he wants fancy pants heads I still have a set already ported and ready to shim and install.

32. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

Well, I have been looking at sourcing some STi heads and sending them off while I run my car and then when everything is ready hopefully after TougeFest I'll send it off to AllPro.

Justin: Thanks for the tips about head work. I have been looking into getting a bowl bend and valve job. I know what you mean about cams being somewhat of a wild card. I've thought about the rotated setup idea but honestly I am not certain if I want to do that.

Regarding the block, I was going to let Brandon and team take a look at it and let me know the scope of the rebuild. I'm certainly no expert and I am not fully rebuilding it for any sort of intended power gains. I am perfectly fine with the power in the car, I'd like to shoot for a powerful and reliable DD/ TougeFighter.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  33. Justin V

Justin V Member

Out of curiousity's sake what heads do you have now? should be cast by the manifold (intake or exhaust)

34. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

I have the stock legacy gt heads with a cometic head gasket.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  35. Justin V

Justin V Member

So you already have the sti heads then

Subaru only makes 4 heads for turbo 2.5's

04-05 lgts fxts and stis all go b25's
    06 stis b25's
    06-14 wrx's fxts and lgts had d25's
    07 stis v25s
    08+ stis w25s

36. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

Well that's good to know. Maybe when I'm rebuilding the motor I'll send them off to get reworked.

37. vwcollector

vwcollector Member

That doesn't always happens ftl...

38. Andr3w

Andr3w Member

Car looks good!

If you're interested in trading wheels I have 04 STi BBS in white

[​IMG]

39. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

I love those wheels in white. Let me think about that and get back to ya. There's something special about the gold but if I could get past the thought of cleaning the white ones I may want to do that!

40. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

fyi

Classic Subaru (where I originally bought the blue Legacy GT) called to say the brake lines qualify for a recall. Figured i'd let you and anyone else with a model year 05 legacy know in case you had not already heard.

Drive safe out there :wavey:

41. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

I replaced them with Stoptech steel braided lines already. That being said, I did notice when I did the upgrade that you (I assume bc it was your car) had the normal legacy 16" rotors put on instead of the 17" GT rotors and so there was a crazy lip on the brake pad. The problem has since been fixed.

42. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

Glad to hear. She should have had the stock OEM rotors on the car albeit a bit warped and probably ready for replacement when i traded her in. Classic did the last brake job on the car but i can't imagine having the wrong sized rotors.

43. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

Well it definitely wasn't the right size pad/rotor combination. Either way, no damage was done and all is well now. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

44. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

So a little update on my Legacy...

Dana and I did the retrofit/hid kit/ and halos on my car a week ago and I think it makes the legacy look much nicer. The last thing to do is to wire the halos into the parking lights. I also purchased led switchback lights for the turn signals and I think they look pretty cool overall. Next up is to gather as many parts as possible for the motor rebuild. Don't be surprised if I post on here asking to rent a car!

Parts list: The Retrofit Source retro quick kit for the legacy
    Morimoto upgraded projectors (surprisingly easy swap)
    Morimoto ballasts
    Morimoto 6k bulbs
    8mm led halos
    Diode Dynamics LED Switchback turn signal bulbs w/ CF18 flasher module

The retrofit took quite a while but a majority of that time spent was paint-related. Overall, I love the kit I got from TRS and cannot wait to see how the halos, HIDs, and switchbacks look all together.
    https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net...=f07e44da404568f3b6bfe5de4e98c6c2&oe=54491ED5

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  45. Matt

everytime I see your thread title, my brain reads: RIP... and I think something bad has happened to it..

46. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

Pics of the new projectors in action?

47. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

I'll take a couple pics from inside the car. The video shows them kicking on but thanks for the reminder.

48. Andr3w

Andr3w Member

Nice work. Looks awesome!

49. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

Finished product! My camera struggles with the brightness of the halos but they look incredible! All credit goes to Dana Palmer and his retrofitting mad-genius ways. I am stoked to be a part of the Touge Fighter family now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  50. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

Up next is a full motor rebuild at AllPro being dropped off next week hopefully. Oil consumption + inability to sustain high boost = about time to rebuild the RR1 block. I'll be sourcing a majority of the parts (Timing belt kit, OEM Gasket kit, clutch, ect)