05 RBP Legacy GT

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by benfrancis, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

A testament to that motor that it's just now needing a rebuild.

2. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

minor update: Work begins shortly

Looking at head work and I'm not certain if I'll bother. I'm not chasing much more power. If anything I want a motor that pulls hard but will last over time. I've read that upgraded valve springs & retainers without new valves is a no no and I'm still debating on new valves, awaiting a quote from Ball.

Looks like I'll get my clutch rebuilt at the same time. More than likely tune by QED.

3. Andr3w

Andr3w Member

Met you and saw your car at Touge Fest. Looks good man! Keep up the good work.

4. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

12/16/14 Update:
    Turbo was bad which it's looking like was the culprit of my boost and oil problems so in goes a Blouch Dom 1.5xtr (8cm compressor) as well as a new Mishimoto radiator, rebuilt clutch by Clutch Specialty Auto (great experience!), OEM timing belt kit w/ thermostat, and miscellaneous gaskets (valve cover, oil pan, ect). Hoping to get a break-in tune and picking up the car by week's end!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  5. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

[​IMG]
    So I know they're not radically different from what I had on the car but they're brand new wheels and tires and they're much bigger than the BBS setup. 18x8.75 +35 w/ 225/40/18 Falken Pro G4 A/S. The tires are stretched for my taste but I now have the wheel size to finally fit 255 or 265s under the car when I go through these.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  6. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

aww ben... not XXR.

:(

7. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

I know I know. I have done the homework and read the tons of opinions both for and against the wheels. I really wanted a set of RPF1s but nobody wanted the goldies and I couldn't sell b/c I didn't have a spare set of wheels. Eventually I'll have track/mtn specific wheels and daily wheels. I love the look of these.

8. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

So a lot has changed with my car in the past little bit and I can blame my car parts ADD for that..

I bought a set of wheels, didn't like them and sold them to buy what I always wanted which is a set of Enkei RPF1 18x8 +35 wrapped in 235/40/18 PSS and I absolutely love the look and grip thus far!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also picked up a set of AP Racing BBK calipers and I have decided to ditch this route and go with STi brembos because it's just easier and cheaper. I really tried to get this AP kit to work but it wasn't cost effective nor really worth the long-term investment either. I got too eager and bit off more than I could chew with that project, such is life. Either way, I have all the parts EXCEPT the calipers for the brembo swap so I will be trying to sell the AP kit soon to throw these on ASAP.

Parts:
    DBA t3 4000 Club Spec rotors Front & Rear (rear will be conversion rotors to fit the brembos and parking brake)
    Project Mu BForce pads
    Motul RBF600 fluid

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  9. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

I have stock valves with GSC beehive springs, GSC retainers and GSC S2 cams? Works fine for me? This was after lengthy discussions with Andrew Ball as well on whether this would haunt me. So far, it hasn't. 20k on the build and it see's 500+whp daily with constant WOT pulls.

Now the OLDER valves that were not solid but were sodium filled were a lot softer and would bend with higher lift cams, not sure which ones your heads have.

10. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

not that he's posted the car on here (bad ben!), but he's listed the car for sale and purchased a 2015 Ford Focus ST.

11. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member