08 STi headlight mods

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by AW08STi, Oct 7, 2012.

1. AW08STi

AW08STi New Member

Figured I would post my modded lights. Decided to remove the amber reflectors and redo the inner housings. I also performed the color mod to the projectors to get a wider light spread and better cutoff.

Attached Files:

2. Scrowley

Scrowley Member

They look great! I've been thinking of taking my 04's off and painting the housings black. I think I may commit now.

3. AW08STi

AW08STi New Member

my lights went flawlessly thank god. I baked them in the oven set at 225 degrees for around 5-6 mins checking frequently. Then split the housings carefully. The painting of the inner housings is really easy its the baking part that is the PITA. Good luck to you if you shoot to paint them yourself I think you should have no problems.

4. Scrowley

Scrowley Member

Yea, the baking is the part that worried me. I've seen so many different people saying what temperature is best, 225 seems like the best route. Thanks!

5. AW08STi

AW08STi New Member

Yeah I have baked 4 sets of lights and baked all four sets at 225 and lay them on a rag of some sort to keep them from directly contacting the metal racks. The time frame is typically from 5-9 mins from my experience but light I said before just keep checking them every minute or so to make sure they are still good.

6. amonsta

amonsta Member

I keep saying I'm doing this. Even bought an extra set of lights just haven't yet! Too scared I guess lol.

7. AW08STi

AW08STi New Member

This is definitely not as hard as it seems honestly. As long as you kinda keep monitoring the lights just to make extra sure they dont get too soft and start to melt your good. Plus if you bake them at 225 that isnt quite hot enough to rapidly heat them to the melting stage.

8. AW08STi

AW08STi New Member

My lights still have sort of the oem look just not all the chrome around the projectors. Kinda has the JDM integra type R look to the housings.

9. amonsta

amonsta Member

Did you have to remove the bulbs and all?

10. AW08STi

AW08STi New Member

Yeah I removed all bulbs and wiring just to prevent possibly melting a wire coating.