2.1 Home Audio System Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by superdoughboy4, May 31, 2012.

1. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

I know there are a few audiophiles on here so I was wondering, are there any suggestions for a decent 2.1 home audio system for relatively cheap? I don't really know what our budget is, but I'm gonna think maybe $400-500 at most.

We just recently re-did our first floor carpeting by ripping it out and putting in faux hardwood.

2. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Can I ask why 2.1?

3. I am assuming that you do not want to run wires .There should be a couple of nice soundbar systems out there in that price range.

4. superdoughboy4

Exactly this. We live in a 2 story town home also so our living room isn't huge. A 2.1 system will be more than enough.

5. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Too many unknown variables.... do you have a receiver? How many channels? Do you want more if able to do so without wires?

6. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

7. SubiNoobi

SubiNoobi Supporting Member

I have found this site to be very useful when researching my sound system build: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

Many people start with 2 speakers and add sub-woofer, center and surrounds later as they get money and figure out how to wire things.

Speakers are great in that you can easily add to the system later, so there is no real need to get a full 5.1 system all at once.

8. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

My buddy uses an RF or Bluetooth rear speaker that is pretty cool. Just plug it in the wall and run no wires.

9. integroid

Very true but if you just buy a stereo receiver, you are pretty much stuck with 2.1 at the very best.

10. SubiNoobi

That's true, he didn't mention what receiver he had if any. I got a 7 channel with pre-outs (there are none that are 5 channel with pre-outs) in case I ever need to add amplifiers later.

However, models with those features are in the 300+ range. That eats up a lot of his budget.

I would advise more research and come up with a long-term plan that allows for upgrading, because you know you will.

11. integroid

12. superdoughboy4

We have no hardware what so ever. The sound we get from using the TV is the built in speakers in the back.
    I guess being able to have at least a 5.1 in the future would be nice, if it's possible to just add speakers to a 2.1, as some others suggested.

OOS unfortunately. I may try for the MartinLogan ones you posted.

I guess the issue at hand really is that having wires running to the rear speakers of a 5.1 or even 7.1 system wouldn't really work at all with the layout of your living room.
    The wall the TV is facing towards is actually apart of the stairway/bathroom underneath the stairway.
    Having speaker stands might be okay, but they'll just be standing by themselves, with maybe only our couch to sit next to.
    I could just buy a 5.1 system and not use the rear speakers, right?

13. Jake

Jake Active Member

My dad has an onkyo 7.1 setup and I would highly recommend their products to anyone searching. Like people have already said, get a great 7.1 receiver and then some good-great fronts with a good sub. Then you can always expand later down the road. I hate my little 2.1 system I have that is meant for computers. Sub bottoms out at the slightest bass in any movie.

14. Jake

Jake Active Member

Yeah you could bridge the speakers, it should be self-explanatory on the back of most modern receivers how to run a smaller setup than they are capable

15. integroid

Sorry, I was just guessing at the model but could also be the RC-360 which is still an awesome deal. Check the store to find out exactly which model it is.

5.1 would be L/F, Center, R/F, L/R, and R/R. if you just want the front 3 speakers + 1 sub I guess that would be considered 3.1. A true 7.1 has 2 rear, 2 rear side, 2 front, 1 center, and 1 sub.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide/index.html

16. integroid

That is completely inaccurate. You would just not hook up the other speakers you are not using. Bridging a home theater amp like you do a car amp will most likely cause it to fail.

17. integroid

18. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

19. Jake

Jake Active Member

My dads onkyo and his previous ken wood both had this option on the back....

And as far as 7.1 goes 98% of the movies you have werent recorded in 7.1, they were recorded/edited/mixed for 5.1, so those two side speakers are simulating sound. However more and more movies are being mixed/rereleased with 7.1 capabilities.

20. integroid

I was never arguing anything with 5.1 or 7.1 recordings. I was just explaining the differences between 5.1 and 7.1 layouts. BUT, sit and watch a movie recorded in 5.1 with a 5.1 systme, then hook up the two side rear speakers to complete 7.1 on the system and it is a noticeable improvement. Regardless if it was recorded in 7.1 or not.

Every receiver I have owned since I was 16 (Onkyo and Denon)was not bridgeable like you are explaining. Maybe it is a model specific design but I wouldnt recommend anyone do anything outside of what their manual tells them to do. When you bridge an amp, you are bridging the left and right channel to one mono channel. So you are saying your dad has it wired to where he has one rear channel and one front channel?

21. SubiNoobi

Yes, get a receiver that is capable of 5.1 and then buy speaker separately. You can get a good deals on speakers that are of way better quality than the ones that come bundled with receivers.

Start with the front left and right, then add subwoofer, then center, then surrounds. You can do this as time, budget and room setup allow.

I only mentioned 7.1 because most of the receivers that had the other features that I wanted were 7 channel not 5 channel.

As was said above, most movies, games and tv (that isn't just stereo) are mixed for 5.1 surround. So you are not missing much with the other two channels.