2006 sti ticking noise! Please help!

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Ryan, May 9, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan New Member

So I have had this annoying noise coming from my car for a while. I thought it was just my valve lash just needing adjusted, so I put new buckets in the head. I put it back together, and it was still making this ticking noise. I pulled it back apart and adjust a few more valves. Just to make sure they are all perfectly in spec, so they are! I know this is something people seem to ask about a lot but I can't find an answer. Most people say it is injectors. If is injectors is there a fix? New rails and injectors maybe? Please help me out!
    Videos have the "ticking" noise I'm talking about.

Before valve lash adjustment
    http://youtu.be/qN3ElGLSZzo

After valve lash adjustment
    http://youtu.be/_Y9hBBiTvSA

2. b reel

b reel Active Member

pull your radiator then two side covers and check your timing marks

3. Ryan

Ryan New Member

All timing marks line up. Any other ideas? Could it really be the injectors?

4. Justin V

Justin V Member

yeah, I tried to pin point the noise on a 2012 wrx and it seemed to be from the injectors.

Those are topfeed and yours are sidefeed so I don't know if it'd carry over.

5. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Have you taken a long screwdriver and tried to localize where the noise is coming from?

6. Ryan

Ryan New Member

So you have had the same noise from a 2012 wrx? How did you fix the problem?

7. Ryan

Ryan New Member

Yea I have a stethoscope with a long point on it. It's just hard to actually pinpoint it. Everything under the good of these cars makes a noise ha

8. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Was this sti for sale on Craig's list?

9. Justin V

Justin V Member

Wasn't my car so I didn't fix it. Dude has the warranty still and subaru wouldn't do anything so I just took a look for S's and G's.

10. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

This. It's either that car or one with the same problem. Do a compression test to rule out bent valves, if it tests fine you probably need a rod bearing or two. What does the oil look like?

11. Ryan

Ryan New Member

Yes it was. It's not rod bearings. It's definitely coming from the top end of the engine.

12. Ryan

Ryan New Member

Yea it was. I believe it was yours right?

13. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

If its that car, here's what's wrong with it, as per the seller.

14. Ryan

Ryan New Member

I'm not sure that's the one I purchased. But either way, I was told by a few mechanics now that it is coming from my top end. While driving the car the tick will fade out completely between 2200-2500 rpm and then past 3000 rpm. I would think that if it was anything on the bottom end it would have went by now. But idk ha

15. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Did you pay close to that? Are your miles close to that? Was the seller in or around douglasville?

16. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Wasn't mine but I looked at it. I even made a thread asking the same question about the car.

17. Ryan

Ryan New Member

Well I wish I would've seen that post then. I paid more than 12.5. It may be the same one. Either way I just want to know if anyone else has had any similar noises from their car. I have searched a lot and find that a lot of people claim it to be injectors. I had a couple mechanics look at it and said my valve lash wasn't in spec, which it wasn't. So I bought new buckets and put them in. So they are good now. The noise has changed some, as you can hear from the videos I posted. I'm just lost. Every person that looks at it said they think it's from the top end. And when using a stethoscope 98% of the noise in from the injectors and rails. Opening the oil cap doesn't change the sound and it sounds pretty smooth inside the engine with my ear next to it. I put my stethoscope on my oil pan and can't really hear anything. I'm just stumped. This is my first Subaru and don't really know what is normal for these cars. As many people say this is normal it's just hard to believe this noise is.

This is a video of a guy with the exact same noise as mine in his 2013. EXACTLY LIKE MINE!
    http://youtu.be/737kKYV2oD4

18. Justin V

Justin V Member

I think its a bent valve, that is loud as FUUUUUU!

Did you pull the motor to replace the buckets?

19. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Do a leak down test, not just a compression test. Willing to bet it is a valve as well.

20. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

When I looked at the car the front timing belt cover was damaged and theowner tried to say the noise it was making that he thought was a wwrists pin was actually the timing belt tensioner and he had it replaced. Willing to bet it jumped timing at some point in its life

21. Ryan

Ryan New Member

I'm not sure. I'm going to do a compression test and leak test soon. It's just hard to believe it's a bent valve. I've had a car with a bent valve and the thing wouldn't idle for crap, ran rough, miss fired, and to actually drive it you had to rev it up like crazy to keep it from stalling. The sti runs perfect, idles great, doesn't skip or miss, and pulls like a dream after the valve lash adjustment.

I left the engine in the car when doing it. I don't have a engine lift anymore :/

22. b reel

b reel Active Member

what was the purpose of this thread?

23. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Did that other car have a flat motor?

24. Ryan

Ryan New Member

No but a bent valve is going to act like a bent valve no matter what engine its in.

And the purpose if this was to get some insight on other peoples thoughts. That's what forums are for right? Any where I searched I always got the same answer, injectors. I was just seeing if anyone else has heard injectors fire this loud, or if anyone new a fix for injector tick.

25. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Swap injectors 1&3 with 2&4 then, and when it's still making that noise do a leak down test.

26. Justin V

Justin V Member

run some snake oil (seafoam) through the fuel system or change gas stations... if you frequent the same pumps.

27. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

^this noise was present before he purchased the car

I agree with Chris if you think it is the injectors just swap them around and follow the noise

28. FACE

FACE Active Member

I just think you have a squirrel living in the head.

29. b reel

b reel Active Member

just for entertainments sake do a compression and leak down and let us know how that goes... in the mean time don't drive it let alone start it.

30. Ryan

Ryan New Member

So just to give everyone and update, I did the compression test. All cylinders were from 140-145 psi. I do keep throwing a P0171 code, "running lean", It happens sometimes while driving and sometimes while idling. Maybe this could be linked to the injectors? The car seems to be a little sputteryish while accelerating at first, but once the car gets past 2500-3000 RPM its very smooth and a lot more power. Past 3000 rpm is when the tick goes away. When I use my stethoscope on the engine most of the ticking seems to be coming from the fuel rails and the injectors.
    Also I have drove the car for roughly 3000 miles now. Getting an average of 20 mpg. I do get on it every now and then(it is a sti ;P), and I have yet to have any major destruction happen. I do need a tune, I have intake, and TBE.

So, any input now? I guess my next thing will be rails and injectors. Any body in the north Atlanta area wanna take a look at it please do ha.

31. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

How about swapping the injectors around to the other Side of the motor and see if it follows?

32. b reel

b reel Active Member

I keep going back to both videos and find it hard to believe that's injectors making the noise. What tolerances did you use for intake and exhaust clearance?

33. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Is this your ad?
    http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/4479038343.html

If thats your car, its the exact same one I posted with the seller claiming it probably had a bent wrist pin earlier

Old Ad:

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  34. slade1274

slade1274 Member

FIFY…. unless you actually know it's a bent wrist pin.

I think at this point it's clear that it can't be diagnosed over the internet- anything in the accessory system can tick like that, along with countless engine woes.

Take it to All Pro- best thing to do is put it in front of an honest and trustworthy group of mechanics that do this shit daily…. or, take a second mortgage and head to your nearest Subaru dealership.

35. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Youre right, the previous seller could have been mistaken as well, edited for clarity.

Either way you look at it, something is seriously wrong, take it to AllPro and be done with it.

36. Justin V

Justin V Member

I'll buy them cam gear wrenches